Round trip odyssey

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 18:26
ThreadID: 8943 Views:1535 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am planning a trip around australia leaving Perth in March/April. Is there anyone else planning a similar trip? I am heading down south WA then from Albany, Norseman, Nullabor Adelaide Victoria Tassie and up East Coast. I need some advice on when the best time to travel.
look forward to a reply
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maverick - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:39

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:39
Deirdre, You have picked the best time to go. Get clear of Victoria by the end of April and into Qld by end of May. Cross the middle or top and into NT by end of June then back into the Kimberley by August. Shinju in Sept then back into Exmouth and work your way down the coast to get into Perth by early Dec. You will then wonder why you ever bothered with the East Coast. Save yourself some time and just turn left at Port Augusta and have a look through the centre of NSW / Qld before spending time in the NT. If you are from WA then check out the Snowy Mts but as for the East coast - don't waste time or fuel. bye
AnswerID: 39333

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:07

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:07
Please explain why not the East Coast?
Sounds a very biased reply. I live in NSW and not on the coast but I have travelled a lot of Australia and the East Coast has plenty going for it.
You must be hard to please or maybe you have never been to the East Coast.
Look forward to your reply.
FollowupID: 257071

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:49

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:49
I would be inclined to reverse your trip. It would be best to leave in Apil travelling up the West Coast. There is much to see and do travelling up the West Coast and it may mean that you get to the Kimberley before the big mobs of tourists. If it is possible, leave your decision until late in the piece, consulting track conditions before making your eventual choice. Also, by travelling up the west coast first it may mean you will hit the South West of WA in the Spring - wonderful time for wildflowers and the South West in general. I am unsure about the best timing for the East Coast and Tasmania, but there are seasonal differences in the cost of crossing the Bass Strait if that is an issue. For what it is worth, that's my opinion.
Mike and Jan
Down Under Camper & GU4.2td
AnswerID: 39372

Reply By: Well 55 - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 07:30

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 07:30
Have done this from NSW, leaving in Feb. and going to the west first, getting to Perth end of April then up the West Coast.

We found this was the best as far as the weather and winds, and heading south from Cairns in October to be in Tassie for Xmas.
AnswerID: 39374

Sponsored Links