I broke my leg for my birthday

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 08, 2011 at 15:23
ThreadID: 89444 Views:1820 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We travelled from SA to Brisbane for our son’s wedding and planned to return with friends via Birdsville where I would celebrate my 60th birthday. Unfortunately I stepped badly down out of our caravan and broke my ankle while in Brisbane, the day before the wedding. So it was plaster and crutches for the wedding and back to Brisbane along the bitumen to see our doctor. The day of my birthday it was raining and crutches and mud don’t mix so the afternoon and night of my birthday was spent in the Caltex Yunta truck stop (in Camps Australia). They were fantastic, we were told to back the van up to the shed where there was gravel and it was close to the ablutions instead of parking in the usual powered sites. We went for dinner in the roadhouse and the boss shouted me a desert and gave me a drink cooler. These complete strangers helped lift my morale and made my birthday memorable for their kindness. Our planning for this trip was not wasted as our friends decided to do the Birdsville trip solo, and they rang us most nights to say how much they were enjoying our holiday.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 08, 2011 at 16:48

Saturday, Oct 08, 2011 at 16:48
Wow Mike. You really now how to celebrate these auspicious occasions. At least in the future you will be able to relate the "time I broke my leg" to when you had your 60th. It will sure help with old timers disease. Sure hope you feel better soon. Glad to see there are people out there with a bit of support for you as well.
As a foot note I almost fell out my van door a couple of days ago while unpacking it. Turned around not thinking and slipped down the top step,then down the 2nd step and barked my ankle. My sister in law went out hers face first last year so it may be a common occurrence. Something to bear in mind for us old timers. Cheers,Bob

AnswerID: 467115

Sponsored Links