air con

Submitted: Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 21:02
ThreadID: 89491 Views:2191 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi new to site and camping but purchased a 2004 jayco swan outback but need some advise in where to install a portable air conditioner in the van? thanks Darren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:08

Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:08
Do you really need an aircon in a Swan? Takes up space and weight and the Swan is largely an uninsulated tent so hard to shut up and cool. We found our Dove Outback lovely and airy in hot weather, day or night, and we never looked for an aircon. (The bed awnings kept the sun and bird poo off the ends so they are worth getting if yours doesn't have them!) We mostly sat outside anyway under the awning when we were around the van during the day or evening. Van aircons are useless for heating and a small fan radiator did the trick for us in cold weather - still does in fact. Now we have a full height van but still rarely need to use the aircon. Also, we prefer to camp in the sort of places that don't have you in rows plugged into power. If you are new to camping why don't you try your rig out before adding anything - you might save some money and effort. Enjoy your Swan - our Dove was great. Lynne
AnswerID: 467318

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 at 13:31

Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 at 13:31
Hi Darren, Like Lynn we rarely use our air conditioner in our full van. Much nicer to sit outside under a tree than stay cooped up inside just to have the air con running. On the hottest days, organise to drive during the middle of the day with the car air conditioner going, then stop and enjoy your surroundings. We have a 12 v fan for the rare hot nights when there is no cooling breeze.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 467340

Reply By: Bill BD - Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 at 13:48

Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 at 13:48
Ditto with the other posts. Putting and aircon in a jayco swan is like trying to aircondition a tent. Give it a few trips before you try it.
AnswerID: 467342

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 at 14:09

Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011 at 14:09
Oops!! I thought you said camping. Airconditioning. Come on now.

Phil
AnswerID: 467343

Sponsored Links