tyres for muddy conditions

Submitted: Monday, Apr 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 895 Views:1710 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to fit a new set of tyres to my 89 jackaroo and had decided on BFG ATs but I have spoke to a couple of people who believe they struggle a bit in muddy conditions. I don't do enough off road work to fit mud terrain, but i live in an where if its a bit wet the dirt turns to mud very quickly. Any info would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt L - Monday, Apr 01, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 01, 2002 at 00:00
Dale, I currently have BFG ATS on my Prado and find them more than adequate for the limited off roading that I do. They are a great improvement over the standard road tyres though you have to put up with a little road noise. I am led to beleive that Cooper Discoverer ATS have a more aggresive tread but are more noisy on road. I will probably try Coopers next.
AnswerID: 2572

Reply By: Warwick - Monday, Apr 01, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 01, 2002 at 00:00
Dale,

I currently have BFG AT's fittedto my Defender, and over the past Easter weekend i spent my time at Barrington Tops, and yes it was extremely muddy! I found very little problems dealing with the very sticky conditions. I would highly recommend these tyres, as they perform extrmely well in most off road conditions. Although next time i will definately buy the MT's...

SeYa
Warwick
AnswerID: 2574

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00
Dale, I currently have BFGs fitted to my 99 Jackaroo and have found that they perform very well in mud, due to their tread shape, which throws off mud. I believe Muddies are a lot noisier on the black top. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 2582

Reply By: Jeff Harwood - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Dale, I have a 96 Discovery and have fitted Cooper STT (yes the new model, as an avid 4wd'er I have found this excellent in all types of conditions, including mud. The road noise in the earlier model (ST) were a problem, but Cooper's have seemed to solve this with there new model tyre.Shop around, keep asking questions and try to find a tyre dealer that has the model your after on his 4wd. Good Luck Jeff
AnswerID: 2592

Sponsored Links