Tyre Help Please

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 03:02
ThreadID: 8953 Views:1616 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
In the process of planning our fraser island trip and was wanting ask advice on the best brand/type of tyre to buy for travel from sydney as well as the sand driving on the island
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:07

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:07
The best type for travel from Sydney would also be the best type for the island. By that I mean you only need a road type tyre. Aggresive tread pattern would be more hinderance than help as you tend to bog down. Just drop the pressure to about 24 psi in the first instance and if it's still working hard you can go down to around 20. Some people go lower but I would not recommend below 18 psi.

If you're really stuck somewhere you could go below that but only until you get out of trouble.

Stick to low tide for most of your travel on the hard sand. Very low pressure + hard sand + speed = oops ... in the bleep and upside down.

Enjoy your trip.You're only as old as she feels

Rosco
AnswerID: 39376

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:19

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:19
I agree with the other Ross about the tyre tred shouldnt be too agressive as well as on long trips you dont want a "howler" or tyre that constantly reminds you that its there.All the big well known tyre companies make a tyre in this class for similar prices.
Everyone has their ideal tyre but personally I dont think the difference is all that great in these types.Having the right air pressure and driving skills which comes from experience is the main factor in sand driving.
I would look at BFG A/T KOs,Bridgestone 693 or 694,Yokohama Geolanders,Dunlop Grandtrek.
Once you have made a decision on brand get the phone book out and ring at least 6 outlets for the best price
AnswerID: 39380

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 14:21

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 14:21
Gday Volvo12

I will possibly cop some flak for my choice here but anyway...My offroad driving is predominantly sand but my work often sees me travelling quite a few unsealed roads. After some deliberation when faced with needing a new set of tyres recently I purchased a set of Hankooks AT Dynamics. The shop I got them through said to give them a go and if for whatever reason I wasn't happy they would stick something else on for me.

I have never previously in my life bought "cheaper" type tyres and at $150 each they were certainly that. After 20, 000 ks I am still quite happy with them. On the sand they are fine, on the road wet or dry they haven't given me any grief and on the many unsealed roads of varying roughness they have also been fine. They probably haven't got a square enough profile but as I don't generally have a problem with staking etc in the places I travel.

I think they are worth considering for this type of use.
rgds
snow
AnswerID: 39405

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 15:51

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 15:51
Snow

Had a set years ago and they were only good for 40K, for my money they performed OK but didn't go the distance. Most of the time on bitumen and no ... I'm not related to Jack Brabham.You're only as old as she feels

Rosco
FollowupID: 257134

Reply By: Phil G - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 19:33

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 19:33
Doesn't matter what tyre. They all perform well on sand, provided you're willing to let your pressures below 20, and if required down to 10-15psi.

Aggressive tyres are sometimes better on sand. For example, many consider BFG M/T's are better than BFG ATKO on sand. Having said that, I agree that road tyres do the job well.

I'd just go with whatever tyres you currently have, and if you need new tyres, don't let this trip influence your decision.
AnswerID: 39431

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 16:42

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 16:42
I agree that the MT is better than the AT in the sand - until they start digging anyway.
FollowupID: 257280

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Dec 10, 2003 at 13:30

Wednesday, Dec 10, 2003 at 13:30
Volvofh12, is sand driving the only type of off-road work you expect to do?Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 39847

Sponsored Links