GU Patrol engine bay noise

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 17:24
ThreadID: 8967 Views:2662 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2002 GU Patrol 3.0td manual. I am getting a whinning type noise from the passenger's side of the engine bay generally after the engine has warmed up.

It appears generally after I have accelerated in 3rd gear and then slowing down again in the same gear. However, it becomes more noticeable when I depress and hold down the clutch. On occassions it also makes the noise after the engine has been turned off. It sounds like some form of pressure release.

I am yet to pintpoint what makes the noise but it appears to be coming from low down on the passenger's side of the engine.

The dealer said last time I had it serviced that they could not hear the noise. (gotta be deaf!!)

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it or experienced anything similar.

Thanks,

S Man

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ron1 - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:00

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:00
with out seeing or hearing it , be hard for any one to pin point it for ya matey , but im thinking for it to still be there after the motors turn off, it would have to be a build up of pressure from some where not had or done any work on a Patrol but guessing the heater hose and air/condition hoes are on that side , , u may have a very small hole in the line that once the pressure gets high enough ,it forces its way through the hole ,in turn giving u the sound, seen it in a few car, question time " are you using water,(having to refill radiator)?, ,is there a hole in hte manifold , (not sure about this as u say u still hear it after motor is off),how long after u stop the engine can u still hear it? and does the sound get lighter as it fades(help as a high pressure would do that as the pressure gets less and less,

sorry all this is only a guess , at start i thought thrust bearing ,till i kept reading and u said u could still hear it after the engine was stop lol, but sounds like a pressure prob , question ? 3.0td? TD ? stand for turbo/desiel?? and is it on the same side , if so take a look there (at the turbo)
dont know if any of this can or will help , but thats my 2c worth
cheer
ron
AnswerID: 39426

Follow Up By: ron1 - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:02

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:02
ps sorry about any spelling , and or grammer, im a farm boy not a teacher
FollowupID: 257142

Follow Up By: The S Man - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:08

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:08
Ron,

Thanks for your thoughts. Only this morning I thought of the airconditioner. I am going to see if it makes a difference when it is on comapred to being off. The noise after the eingine is turned off can be heard 3 or 4 times within the first minute or two - but not everytime I turn the motor off. Each noise gets shorter and not as loud as the last when turned off.

The Patrol is 3.0 turbo diesel direct injection intercooler. Could possibly be the turbo. Will investigate this further.

I am not using any water or coolant so I don't think it is a leak.

Will be getting is serviced soon so will raise it again with Nissan.

Thanks.

S Man
FollowupID: 257143

Follow Up By: ron1 - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:12

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:12
cheers ok could be just the turbo cooling down then. or the air/con
cheers good luck matey
ron
FollowupID: 257144

Reply By: Hilly - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 22:32

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 22:32
I frequently have a whiny noise froom the passenger side but I find when I leave the wife at home and just take the boys it doesn't seem to bother me any more....... Hmmmmmmm

Cheers,

Hilly
AnswerID: 39467

Follow Up By: The S Man - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:35

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:35
Hilly,

I feel your pain!! Perhaps that's been my problem all along.

Fishing trips are strictly for the boys. The only whinning then is having to go home back to the handbrake.

I guess that's the difference between letting the dog in the backdoor and your wife..... at least the dog stops whinning when you let it in......

S Man
FollowupID: 257183

Reply By: The Crow - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 16:23

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 16:23
I have a 2002 GU Patrol 3.0td manual also and I am getting a whinning type noise from the passenger's side of the engine bay generally when the car is first started and I drive off using low revs as not to race the motor until it warms up I think that it is the Turbo spooling up as the revs increase and drops off when I change gears. I am not worried about it at the moment but will check with Nissan on Tuesday when it goes in for its 35000k service. The noise increases with revs and drops off with revs as with large trucks . IF you listen to them their turbos whistle with an increase of revs and drops when they change gears. I don't have the problem of it making noises after it is turned off so you could have another problem. I Think that it could be the Turbo whistle.
AnswerID: 39522

Follow Up By: The S Man - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 16:59

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 16:59
The Crow,

Thanks for your input. It's not the turbo whistle. Gotta love that noise!!

But I suspect it may be turbo related somehow. It's the fact that it makes the noise after being turned off that confuses me.

If Nissan find anything I will post the info.

S Man
FollowupID: 257216

Sponsored Links