Dual Battery System for Hilux

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 898 Views:2107 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has had any success in fitting a dual battery system in the engine bay of a 2.8 Diesel (LN106) Hilux?

It has a Finer Filter and Snorkel fitted.

If anyone has had success, how did they achieve this (short of putting the battery in a weather proof container in the tray)?

cheers,
Sam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00
Sam,
I have a 3litre TD and what they done was remounted the radiator coolant bottle at 90 degrees to the grill and the aux batt SQUEEZED into the spare space. The space only allows a small batt. and as I am finding out, the capacity is not enough to run my fridge etc. for any length of time.
Hope this helps

Graham
AnswerID: 2587

Follow Up By: Sam - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00
thanks Graham

i have been told by one place that they can do it by re-routing the ducting from the snorkel to the filter through a different section of the side panel and then the ducting from the air filter to the engine around over the wheel arch and then along the fire wall.

I am not sure about this myself as i would think what you had done would be more logical as there is already space in front of the brake vacuum booster. But the capacity of the battery is obviously fairly critical.

What type of fridge do you have? I have just purchased a 40L Engel.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 960

Follow Up By: Graham - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Sam,
I'm not sure if the layout is the same on 2.8, My aux batt fits on the passenger side in front of the air cleaner. The battery cradle and coolant bottle mount are intergral and the space measures 225mm front to back and 170mm wide with no spare space front to back.
Richard from motorcare.com.au in Brissy fitted it. As I have a metal canopy I am looking at fitting a larger capacity batt in the rear. I have looked at the sealed type batts but have found that the smallest measures 250mm in length, but would be interested in hearing if anyone knows of a batt that would fit, as ideally I would prefer to keep everything under the bonnet.
Cheers Graham
FollowupID: 969

Reply By: Mark Wilson - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Graham/Sam. If space is at a premium why not look at an Absorbed Glass Matting (AGM) type battery. They are much smaller than the lead acid type and work brilliantly. Unfortunately they are much more expensive. Go to Optima or Exide battery sites for details. I have a Tdi Land Rover and they don't allow much space for batteries either. I have an AGM type fitted as a cranking battery and it works very well. I will replace my deep cycle with a deep cycle AGM when it gives up the ghost. Hope this helps, Regards Mark Wilson
AnswerID: 2595

Sponsored Links