Where are the grease points on the 80 series

Submitted: Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 20:22
ThreadID: 8991 Views:10037 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Would appreciate some advice: I decided to do the 5,000km service grease on the 80 series and save some money. But on reading Gregorys LC service manual, all it says is 'grease the steering linkages and prop shaft joints'. It doesn't say how many nipples nor does it show where they are. I found 1 on the back universal and 2 on the front. Is that all on the prop shaft? Also, one of the nipples on the front is impossible to get the grease gun nossle onto. So how do I grease it? And where are they on the steering linkages and how many? And I was warned not to put too much grease in the prop shaft points as it can push out the seals and let dirt in. How much grease should I put in? Do I measure it by pumps on the grease gun handle?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ron1 - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 20:47

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 20:47
hey keith
by rotating the prop shafts can make it easyer to grease, also just look around for all the little grease nipples , and grease , usualy found on the ball joints , some joints can be sealed and no nipple can be found ,these shouldnt need greasing, as they are non grease joint, , nipples usauly all over the place on most 4x4s and cars, look to the ends of all steering parts, idlers, pitmans ,spring shackles, sharfts,king pins, and else where, just take your time and have a looky around , clean tops of nipples befor greasing. some of these points may not have nipples , can depend on what replacement parts are used, as i said some are non regreasing and shouldnt need it ,if there worn replace them, try not to over grease , i usual grease till it can be seen and all air space has been taken up, then wipe clean any excess away ,you should hear the grease moving to the edge, any dust covers that get poped off just push them back on the seals are usauly just dust covers , (not in all cases, but most i have found) the uni joints are the main ones not to over grease to much, and wipe the excess as when it spins can leave a mess
hope i could help
cheers
ron
AnswerID: 39534

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 13:46

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 13:46
Theres not a grease point diagram on the back of the sun visor is there,Ive seen a few with this?
AnswerID: 39556

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 17:13

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 17:13
Gday
My 80 has no steering grease points. Each driveshaft has 3, one each uni and i slip joint . Dont put more than say 4 pumps in each slip joint. If you over grease it, you will see the shaft lengthern each pump, and thats not good for the pinion bearings or transfer output bearings.
The only other thing to grease is the c/v joints via a square plug on each swivel hub. These use special grease called Molly grease, lithium based. I have 2 guns for my greasing, one for each job.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 39566

Reply By: Member - Keith - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 22:05

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 22:05
Ron, Nick, Andrew.....thanks for your advice..........regards..........Keith
AnswerID: 39627

Sponsored Links