toyota 4runners vs surfs..early 90s models..

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 03:56
ThreadID: 8996 Views:1711 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all,

i'm looking for a 4wd to take around australia, and have my heart set on either a 4runner (1990-93 model) or the import version, the hilux surf. i've got about $12,000 to spend and want the best model i can get for that money (obviously!) i've got a few questions about these very similar cars that hopefully you can enlighten me on...i'm VERY knew to all this so please bare with me! :)

overall, which is more reliable?

can you readily get parts for both?

is the 2.2l efi petrol more powerful than the 2.4lt diesel in the 4runner (1990 model)?

the ones i've been looking at are all in the 230,000-260,000km mileage range, are they at the end of their tethers and would need rebuilds? or can they go much longer?

diesels should generally last longer right?

i test drove a 1990 4runner SR5 today, and the brakes seemed very soft on it...are all hilux's notorious for bad brakes?

is getting an auto a good or bad idea?

to turbo or not to turbo?

so many questions...so few ideas :)

thanks for any replies!

michael.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 13:42

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 13:42
Gday mikk,I compleated a 17000km trip around Aus earlyier this year in a 1994 2.8D 4 Runner and couldnt have been happier.Ave 11.5km/lt fully loaded,always wanted a turbo on it but after doing the trip ive decided not to bother mainly because we only travelled on about 80-90kph not in any hurry,it has got extractors and 2.5" exhaust fitted which helped.As for diesels lasting longer check service history as a badly maintained one will cost alot more to rebuild than petrol,service intervals should be every 5000km.For outback touring id go for a manual,no o/heating issues and run starting issues and so on.Brakes on our vehicle are very good,check shoes and pads for wear,may need bleeding.
AnswerID: 39555

Reply By: howesy - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 13:52

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 13:52
done the same trip twice. Once before I fitted the turbo and once after. I would never go back to non turbo now I love it.
Do not take a surf on that trip as while parts are obtainable you will be a lot happier and a lot richer if you do have problems and you have the Aussie version.
If it were me I would buy the Aussie version and if you can find one where they have fitted an aftermarket turbo then all the better.
AnswerID: 39557

Sponsored Links