Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 901 Views:3488 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The NP campground has reopened
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00
Graham,

Really? This is great news if it has - the campground was beautiful and close to everything, but I thought they had closed it forever.

If this is OK then I will be booking a spot for the long weekend around ANZAC Day.

See you there!
AnswerID: 2588

Follow Up By: Darren - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Joe. I am off that way for a week early May. Was wondering how the campground is compared to Takarakka (if you knew)?

FollowupID: 965

Follow Up By: Graham - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Darren,
We spent Easter at Takkarakka, as we tried to book at NP back in Feb. only to be told that it has closed down. Takkarakka has spent a lot of money on new ammenities and community kitchen blocks, I guess in response to the NP closure...OOPS. We could only book a powered site ($22/night) it was in the new section and was exposed to the sun and dusty, as they had bulldozed 99% of the trees down to make the new sites. A large generator nearby chugging away from 5pm till 10pm was a little annoying as well. The campground is 4 km from the National Park which was a little inconvenient and in my opinion,if you can forgo less amenities but more lush surroundings, definately go for NP ground,thats where we will be booking next time.
Cheers Graham
FollowupID: 968

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00
Graham,

I have never stayed at Takkarakka so I can’t comment, but the description in the other follow up didn’t sound too inviting.

The NP campground was a really good one, shady and green with lots of visiting wildlife - as long as you could handle cold showers that is! It was also perfectly positioned for the start of all of the walking trails so you would never need to drive in and out of the park.
AnswerID: 2618

Follow Up By: Kerry - Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00
Joe/Graham, I rang the NP yesterday and they now have Hot showers for $1 for 3 minutes. You can't have fires, only 35 sites now which is great as it should not be over crowded and they have drinking water. You can only stay for a maxium of 5 nights. It sound pretty good to me. We are going in may while the camping ground is still open.
FollowupID: 979

Reply By: Kerry - Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00
Joe/Graham, I rang the NP yesterday and they now have Hot showers for $1 for 3 minutes. You can't have fires, only 35 sites now which is great as it should not be over crowded and they have drinking water. You can only stay for a maxium of 5 nights. It sound pretty good to me. We are going in may while the camping ground is still open.
AnswerID: 2632

Sponsored Links