sandover hwy vs plenty hwy

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 909 Views:2901 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
gday

i am looking to travel from mt isa to alice springs in june\july .I was wondering what would be the best track to take out of the 2 metioned.
where can you get fuel on either of these tracks and is there anything worth stopping to look at
and also what are conditions like on both tracks

thanks

nico
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jim - Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00
Don't know the Sandover. Reading indicates it's a bit narrower & the edges a bit softer in wet weather than the Plenty.
Plenty easy, slow & corrugated in small patches. Can be done in day if in hurry - I prefer 2 - 3 days, staying at Tobermorey, near Jervois, Gemtrees. Fuel at above places. Gemtrees definitely worth a visit. Otherwise mostly arid, but, in my view, interesting and scenic country. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!
Go for it & enjoy it.
AnswerID: 2638

Reply By: Wayne- Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00

Nico

See the NRMA website outback tracks section - has details on both so you can read and compare -

http://www.mynrma.com.au/travel/do/thi_cc4_out.shtml

BUT bear in mind the conditions will change depending on a lot of facts. When we crossed the NT side of the Plenty we had no trouble sitting at 90 / 100 kms hour towing a off road camper trailer - The QLD bit is a different story.

Based on my past experience dirt roads in NT are usually well maintained - it is the section in the connecting state that is the problem - so maybe look for the shorter route on QLD roads

Best of luck

Wayne
AnswerID: 2643

Reply By: Greg - Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00

Nico I travelled both these roads last year. The sandover is less used than the plenty and there is probably less to see. To go from the Isa to the Alice I would take the plenty via Urandangie. Fuel is available at Jevois. It is possible to do this trip in a day but speed is the greatest tyre destroyer on this road and 80 kph is a good max to drive at. The western end is more scenic and there are camp spots around Harts Range. The cattlewater pass road is a good way to go from Harts Range to Alice.
AnswerID: 2646

Sponsored Links