alko axle maintenance?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 01, 2012 at 14:04
ThreadID: 90940 Views:4461 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just inquiring about the alko axle system, (ignorant to it), does this need any servicing etc,,, have been reading the alko web/s doesnt mention it ...
As I purchased an old van (Viscount Aero lite)had some concern re suspension.
Realise now the Aero lite didn't have a good rap by some on this forum. So hoping for the best , will only be on the black..keeping my load as lite as possible.
Got rid of the old heavy canvas annexe... going to put in some 95% shade cloth.
regards and best for the year 2012...
stan de man
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 01, 2012 at 17:39

Sunday, Jan 01, 2012 at 17:39
Stan!! You will at least have to service the bearings probably every 20,000km and adjust the electric brakes it it has them, are they working and how much brake lining do they have?? Also a general lookover the shackle bolts and check the u bolds for loose nuts... Maybe get a caravan service mob to give it an overall service and check and ask them what they check.. If you dont know the service history, its better to go over the whole thing. Read my blog about the dangers of not doing major services and not checking absolutely everythiing... regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 473802

Reply By: Hi-ryder - Sunday, Jan 01, 2012 at 19:38

Sunday, Jan 01, 2012 at 19:38
Hi Sangster I have a Areolight for nearly 12 months now (85 model 17ft ) I cant fault it honestly . For there age i think there a good unit . No they are not a off road van . But still a good unit if the previous owners have looked after them . I have re-upholstery the seats new floor covering and chucked the curtains for PVC blinds . I can tell you it really looks like a modern van . The seats were in good nick but just showed there age .Now they are bright and modern. As far as the alko axle system i don't think there is much to service on them as there a rubber unit . I think they are fairly hardey unit . Just make sure wheel bearings and brakes are top nick and you should have trouble free travels . We have a roller awning on ours worth every dollar . Good luck and safe travels .
AnswerID: 473810

Follow Up By: Member - sangster(Vic) - Sunday, Jan 01, 2012 at 20:38

Sunday, Jan 01, 2012 at 20:38
hi ryder and Michael, thanks for the info , I've had the bearings checked and resealed , brakes in good nick etc, I feel a bit happier now that I've got the advice I was hoping for.... yes the van is in very good nick, all original and seating, beds in excellent condition , cupboards extremely clean, I believe it has been rewired which I have noticed, the chap who did it was an electrician. There's one small section near the front exterior left corner that needs some filling, not sure what to use , any ideas please... thanks for your advice guys..might see on the road one day...
stan
FollowupID: 748672

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 15:52

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 15:52
Hi Stan, I didnt realise it had the rubber tube independant suspension. I believe they are basically maintenance free but the 3 rubber tubes can be replaced by Alko if perisded or sagged. Its good also to have an Alko setup so if any parts are needed and bought from Alko, you know it will fit. There is a mile of imported axles and brake assemblies around that come from around the world and many things like backing plates and drums dont fit due to the wrong off set. Regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 473874

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 16:29

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 16:29
As stated above the Alko IRS are maintenance free.
The only service required are the bearings, seals and brakes.
Replacement of the IRS rubber can be carried out by Alko in Melbourne when or if required.
Cheers, ozjohn.
FollowupID: 748724

Follow Up By: Member - sangster(Vic) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 17:02

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 17:02
Hi guys, thanks for the info, yes i feel one hundred percent better in mind now
great forum this put ones mind as ease... hope to be moving north in March this year..thanks 1s again..
cheers
stan
FollowupID: 748725

Follow Up By: Member - KEITH W (QLD) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 17:31

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 17:31
we have an old millard 14foot aerolite, only bearings and brakes need doing. alko suspension is maintenance free, also heard they use the same, but heavier system on some offroad vans. the old milly tows like a dream, i think due to the independent suspension.
FollowupID: 748726

Follow Up By: Member - sangster(Vic) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 17:37

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 17:37
Hi Keith, the old milly looks almost the same as our old viscount in the same good order, will post a photo of her later .... thanks for info..
stan
FollowupID: 748727

Sponsored Links