Review: Hema Navigator - HN5i

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 3/5

Having previously owned both a Magellan Explorist XL and Garmin Nuvi I eagerly awaited the electronic version of the Hema maps I love and that have seen us throught the outback a number of times. I was not disappointed with the content,accuracy or functionality and I have to say from this perspective the HN5i unit is brilliant. I even managed to load the maps to PC(from the DVDs) AND download updated maps from the website and install in the HN5i ,without any dramas.
Unfortunately the same positive comments cannot be said for the readibility of the screen in bright sunlight(the most common outback situation).
The Magellan and Garmin were excellent in this regard.
The iGO screen is by far the worst from a viewing perspective with some improvement for Ozi and Memory map. I am still experimenting with mounting locations,have had the screen brightness at all settings and have manipulated the various screen colour palettes to improve things but am not having much luck. I am so disappointed i have written to Hema support and am waiting feedback.
Maybe I should have taken notice that a "sunshade" was an available option - however,shading the unit with my hands doesn't do much - and the price of the sunshade is outrageous when you add the freight cost. I would like to rate the unit 5 start but can't get to more than 3 star until my problem is fixed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 13:30

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 13:30
Ron,

You can buy a universal clip-on sun visor for around $30.00 which will overcome your problem.

Problem solved.

Sun Visor

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 473857

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 13:37

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 13:37
I must say however, that I don't have a particular problem with screen washout in my vehicle. I mount the Hema on the windscreen in the middle, sitting just above the dash and only use the sun visor on rare occasions.

I haven't needed to adjust brightness/contrast settings at all, siply leaving the device on its default settings as far as viewing is concerned.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 748708

Follow Up By: Member - Ron B (VIC) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 14:49

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 14:49
Gday Bill,
my unit is mounted in same position as yours - ditto for the old magellan and garmin - no issues at all with the screens on those previous units.
I have a white landcruiser,so there is a lot of reflected light around,but i was
not prepared for the washed out screen I saw - the wife and I could hardly read it. We travelled to Bairnsdale in bright sunlight and I thought the problem was due to strong the sun in the north,but same result on returning home with sun behind the car. I am surprised and will test it some more though.
I also want to hear from Hema support on this, in case I have a problem somewhere. On cloudy days and in shade there are no issues with visibility on the screen whatsoever. I'm looking at it here in the house and it's perfect
Rgds
Ron
FollowupID: 748714

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 17:52

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 17:52
I used a plastic shade for a 5" screen and siliconed a sheet of thin alloy onto it to make it more effective. I painted it black.

It works fine.

I see Supercheap have them for $1.99 to suit a 4.7" screen in their sale starting tomorrow.

Measure first but that's a cheap starting point.

Otherwise Jaycar have them for a 5" screen.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 748730

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 13:48

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 13:48
Viewing on mine has always been satisfactory - I did make a small slip on sunshade though that improves viewing a bit, but I mainly made it to keep the unit from getting thoroughly baked in the sun (it's always shielded with the windscreen shade when we are parked, but driving in the harsh outback sun would have some detriment in my view, seeing the body is matt black).
AnswerID: 473859

Follow Up By: Member - Ron B (VIC) - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 14:54

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 14:54
Hi Darian,
my main concern is if i have a faulty unit and I need a respons from Hema first - maybe there is a simple test to sort this out.
In respect of sunshade,I prefer not to fit one as I want the wife to navigate and for myself to be able to see the screen as well (her navigation skills got us lost out of Burketown AND we had the Magellan fired up - you get the drift as to why I like to check things from time to time).
In this driver/navigator scenario,the unit needs to be postioned low centre windscreen and I'm worried a sunscreen will affect visibility in this case
Ron
FollowupID: 748716

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 20:49

Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 20:49
On the subject of gender compliant navigation I have no comment of course (life is so precious :-o)............re the shade - regardless of where the nav is mounted, a simple, thin, snug shade barely adds to viewing obstruction.
FollowupID: 748748

Sponsored Links