Recommendations for an off road camper trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 20:31
ThreadID: 90994 Views:10366 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello!!
We are in the market for a 2nd hand off road camper trailer with a budget of around $10,000 to take touring around Australia. We are after something that will be suitable for 2 children (7yr old & 7mth old) quick set-up, going to keep us dry and go the distance. It will be towed by a mitsubishi triton 4 x 4 and be doing some light off roading with a combo of both van parks and some free camping. Have been scanning the classifieds and forums keeping an eye out but am a bit bamboozled by all the different makes and models. So if anyone has any personal recommendations of a particular brand I would appreciate the info.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bytemrk(VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 22:26

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 22:26
Hi Nadina,

I'd suggest you should try and narrow what you want in a camper first before looking at specific brands.

All of us are different and obviously would have different opinions of what might be suitable for your family.

There is no question for the money you are talking there are good basic campers out there, possibly even new.

I'd suggest first have a think about things like do you want a soft floor or hard floor? Maybe list what things you might consider essential in a camper - Kitchen, brakes, load carrying capacity,water tank, onroad/offroad, power etc...That will certainly help you narrow the choices.

Also indicating which state you are in might help people point you to good resources close by.

If you happen to be in Victoria, I'd strongly recommend you take a close look at Tambo I have had one for about 7-8 years now... Great solid unit. Perfect for my family ...maybe right for yours too..

My kids are now in their early teens but we have travelled thousand of Km's and spent hundreds of nights in our Tambo and I couldnt recommend them highly enough.

Good luck, what ever you choose.

AnswerID: 474005

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 22:37
ditto Tambo................. don't have one at present, but have in the past, great unit. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474006

Follow Up By: nadina s - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:52

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:52
Thanks very much for both of your replies. Tambo is one that we have been taking a close look at. Reviewed really well and great seem to get great positive feedback when I have been researching them. Also 2nd hand ones are in the price range we're after.
FollowupID: 748835

Follow Up By: nadina s - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:56

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:56
I should also add a redbacks and jumbuck bushrangers are another two that seem to get good feedback also. Any thoughts on those??
FollowupID: 748837

Follow Up By: Member - Wandering Bill - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:04

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:04
Hi Nadina, I have a Redback had it for about 7yrs done lots of outback trips plus Cape York, and it has never given me and problems, it is very strong and is a full off-road set up.

It is currently advertised on EO take a look at it and get back to me if you require any further info

Cheers
Bill
Outbackwanderer

FollowupID: 749017

Reply By: Tommo66 - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 09:55

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 09:55
we own an Adventure Camper an couldn't be happier with it, see if you can hire one to try them out first.

cheers

AnswerID: 474022

Follow Up By: nadina s - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 10:46

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 10:46
oooh many thanks!!!
I know what I will be researching for the next couple days.
FollowupID: 748861

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:28
nadina

There are mobs out there that actually hire campers, fo rweekends, weeks or what ever you want.
I suggest ehat you fine these dealers, try a different camper, each time you go out.

Have a look at Trak Shak, plenty of room, will carry heaps. Definately one of the toughest on the merket, and no that pricey.
10 minute set up, not 3 minutes like the promotional video suggests.

Do not go past an Outback, but they are more for 2 people, not 4
Have a look at a Cavalieer (spelling !) with a spring upgrade they are goo to go anywhere.

For hard floor campers the Kimberley is king, but not for a family of 4.

Do not rush into it. Go hire or borrow different ones.
Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 474045

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:35

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:35
ANother thing

Just because the Camper has Off Road written on it, does not necessarily mean they can cut it.

Better to look for independant coils (sugar glider) , or the ALKO Ruberised Torsion Bar type found on Outback campers are good.

Have had nothing much else to do with others on the market.

Just enjoy the search
FollowupID: 748917

Reply By: nadina s - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:34

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:34
Thanks all for the words of wisdom.
Looks like I got alot more research to do and a couple of leisure "try b4 u buy" weekends hiring trailers.
AnswerID: 474129

Reply By: Bernie C - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 17:44

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 17:44
I sold my soft floor Tough Country Camper Sept last year, it cost me $18500 new and 6 years later I was lucky to sell for $8000 and I mean lucky. These chinese imported ones that are on Ebay have dropped the price out of the S/H market, but have a look what they offer in kitchens and fittings compare prices with a good quality Australian built one and see what they offer.

Guess some will go on about stronger better built, no arguments from me and as patriotic as anyone here, they are hard to not buy at the price they sell at or have we been overcharged for a deep side box trailer with a tent on top made in Australia.

my 2 bobs worth
AnswerID: 474499

Follow Up By: KevinE - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:03

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:03
Very interesting post Bernie! :)

My wife & I have just been searching for our 1st CT after previously tenting it; I'm a bit over the top when it comes to researching stuff & if anyone here has ever written a review of a CT anywhere on the net, you can bet I've read it! Same, same if you've posted an ad to sell one ;) I found a literal mountain of info posted by people, which has been extremely useful.

What we found here in SA is that most of the new CT's for sale in our price range are imported from China & assembled here. They seem to be pushing the locally made ones off the market, simply on price/affordability. Anyone who doubts this can go find an entry level trailer they like here & then go home & do a search for CT's on Alibaba.com. You'll likely find your CT there soon enough!

What I also found was that there is a HUGE range of quality differences coming out of China. It depends on where the CT business are importing from (which factory in China) Some of the CT's we looked at were cheap & nasty, while others were extremely well made!

Some (most) sellers just sell you the trailer with a tent on it (we bought a soft floor) & EVERYTHING else is an additional "option" (cost to you)

We bought a 7 x 5 off road (genuine off road) with a 7' tent that came with all the available options (except a stove, as we didn't need one) as standard for $6,990 :) zip up/velcro cover, battery, battery charger, 80l water tank, sink, 12V power plug, annex, hand brake, HUGE toolbox, new wheel & tyres, HD mattress, even a full gas bottle! The guy we bought it off is a very likeable, genuine guy who has the philosophy that when you pick it up, you should just have to pack your clothes, bedding & food & off you go!

Time will tell on durability, but I'm very confident it will last the test of time.
FollowupID: 749756

Follow Up By: Bernie C - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 23:03

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 23:03
No worries,
Hope you just enjoy the CT and the times getting away.
If you really want a good mattress, may I suggest a latex mattress topper from somewhere like Pillow Talk, that is all we had on top of a 4" foam mattress and a layer of yoga mats underneath and it was the best.
Remember to tow it like you own it and not hiring it.
FollowupID: 749810

Sponsored Links