200 GXL series

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:51
ThreadID: 91000 Views:2169 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at buying one, any negative or positive thoughts on the 200 GXL series??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:17

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:17
Hi Charlie

200 series are a pretty good vehicle but like so much of this stuff it may or may not be the right vehicle for your use and defining your usage is so important to making the best choice.

I recently choose a new petrol patrol over the 200 series because the Patrol fitted my particular requirements better.

If I my requirements were for a long range capable tourer then I would have happily choosen the 200 series.

Cars like the 200 series are probably more reliable than ever but in owning one you have to accept that their is less you can fix on them , and less you can modify on them - even bigger wheels are becoming a problem.

So my advice is to seriously spell out your requirements and budget first and go from there.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474028

Follow Up By: Member - Charlie R - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 13:10

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 13:10
Thanks Robin, i forgot to metion I live 1400 ks north of perth (Pilbara) and will be towing a camper, it is a diesel model. brand new... I too bought the a new 3.0 patrol decked it out and in the end found it under power for the distance i travel...
FollowupID: 748879

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:25

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:25
We live in the Pilbara and have a LC200 diesel - we have the 60th anniversary model with the KMS suspension and my husband has had an ARB lift kit put in it at the same time he had an ARB winch bar installed. We tow a Kedron caravan with ours and it performs wonderfully well, we do miss our old Jeep Rubicon Wrangler for climbing up the Burrup though - the LC200 performs well but even with the lift has clearance issues for tough off road. You cant beat it for comfort and the aircon is exceptional - I really appreciate it when I have to do the run between Karratha and Geraldton in the summer.

On the service side of things the Karratha Toyota service centre is one of the best we have ever been to for service.

Sue
Karratha WA
FollowupID: 748887

Reply By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:55

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:55
I've been accussed previously of troll posting when I dared to tell the problems my son has had with his 200 series since he bought it 3 years ago.
Apart from the galloping oil consumption which appears to be denied by most of the one eyed amongst us, he's had no end of problems with the auto transmission.
After nearly 4 months off the road last year which necessitated Toyota providing him with a hire vehicle (Pajero from their used car yard - cost between departments nearly 3.5K per month) they have after yet another lengthy investigation and admitted it has a problem.
All they've got to do now is make their minds up as to what they intend doing about it!
He's not holding his breathe while they do that as going on past performance so far, a decisions gonna be a long time coming.
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 474029

Follow Up By: Member - Charlie R - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 13:15

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 13:15
Hi Alan, I bought the 3.0 nissan turbo diesel; and am not happy with the power it gives,Big car little motor, Living 1400Ks north of Perth (Pilbara) i need the comfort to tow the camper.. The model Im looking at is the twin turbo diesel, new... I did hear of a few problems in the model your son got and hopefully they will sort it out...
FollowupID: 748880

Follow Up By: ross - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 13:20

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 13:20
Allan ,while I feel for your son,there is not a model of car on the road that doesnt have a tale like this.
Pajero,Patrol,Jackeroo,they've all had their lemon stories on this forum.
If you took them all to heart,you would be catching public transport
FollowupID: 748881

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:29

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:29
You're right Ross, no vehicle is free of defects but the time Toyota have taken to firstly admit there's actually a problem and now even more time to decided what to do about, is disgusting.
It's never been a hard used vehicle and serviced on the dot by the main stealers.
Therein may lie the trouble as they never checked an oil level including the transmission in 3 years.
Charlie. It'll certainly pull the camper better than the under size engined Patrol, the boy reckons it pulls his boat easy but was also very suprised the Pajero did just as well with a much smaller engine.
Happy motoring.
AlanTH
FollowupID: 748888

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:31

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:31
My husband was worried about LC200 oil issues before we bought ours last December but decided to take the risk as we had read that it mainly affected the earlier models.

We bought ours new 12 months ago and have now driven 30K in it several trips have been towing an off road caravan (3000kgs) - no oil issues here only tyre wear from miles on dirt roads but that is to be expected.

As for power - every 6 weeks I do a return trip to Geraldton (2200klm return) and as you would know have to share the road with many road trains, the LC200 has no problem with power for overtaking even when towing the van.

Cheers
Sue
FollowupID: 748889

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 15:33

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 15:33
As well as the contributions here, suggest you look over the 200's section at LCOOL here - a wealth of information and experience there from many owners.
AnswerID: 474034

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 15:48

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 15:48
I agree with Ross. Every model has its lemons. And yes, any problems can be compounded by the attitude of the manufacture or the dealer. And that is with any product, not just vehicles.
And the same with any product, you will hear more about problems then good stories. People love to spread bad news. (Mind you I am the same, if I have had a problem with a product I will tell others. I won’t go off subject by telling you about my Lightforce Genesis lights and the attitude of Lightforce!) But I do feel for Allan’s son also.
It is a big decision of what to buy because the 200 is not a cheap vehicle. Having said that we have not had any regrets with our purchase. We have done 105,000 in ours now and feel the initial cost was worth every cent. The vehicle still drives and fells like new. On long distances the 200 just eats up the miles. The 200 is just a dream on rough roads as well as off road.
AnswerID: 474035

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 20:39

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 20:39
I have been unlucky (Lemon)

Replaced vacuum pump
Replaced seat belt
Replaced pistons rings and big end bearings
Tow Bar pin holes elongated
Knock in the front end
Dust problems
Replaced two rear shocks (oil leak)
Replaced two tail shafts
Replaced or repaired 16 injectors
Replaced or repaired 2 injector pumps
Replaced fuel lines twice
Replaced 2 common rails
Replaced fuel cooler
Power steering hose

The 200 series has been off the road for repairs a total of 6 months.

Reply By: Athol W - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:28

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:28
Charlie

I can only say to go for it.
I purchased a 60th Anniversary LC 200 TTD last January and have now travelled just over 41000km, with over 28000km of that towing a van of approximately 2.7 tonnes around Australia. I have serviced this vehicle based on fuel consumption of 1300 litres used (as the vehicle has been reasonably heavily loaded most of the time)
During this time I have had to add just 1 litre of oil between services (and that was prior to the first service, on the initial 'run in' period)
I would suggest that you spend the extra and get one fitted with the KDSS suspension system, as this system reduces body roll considerably on highway but allows full wheel articulation when off road in 'wheel lift' situations.
I have achieved an average (whole of life)fuel consumption of 17.49 L/100km with a best figure of just 10.66 L/100km running car only from Broome to Cape Levique and return. Around town in the low 12's.
This vehicle has, to date, not produced any signs of defects or problems.

Have fun and happy motoring
Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 474096

Sponsored Links