Gibb River Rd etc

Heading up that way mid this year. As it will be tourist season I'm assuming it's going to be very busy.
Though we don't want a set agenda my gut feel is that there is some places we will probably need to book or we won't get it (accommodation, best camp sites etc).

Any feedback on what we would need to book and work our travels around? Travelling from Perth along the coral coast, Broome, Gibb River. I'd suspect the rest of the trip we won't need to book anything back down to Adelaide via Tanami, Alice Springs etc.

Thanks,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David W1 (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 19:50

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 19:50
Hi Gossy,

Do keep away from the busy campsites between 6-20July as this is school holiday time and will be heaving...Silent Grove, El Questro, Home Valley, etc all will be pretty full at this time and where possible try and book ahead. Other than that it is a good idea at that time to get off the beaten track and also avoid the major tourist venues like the Bungles where all the big tour 4WD coaches will be rolling into. The Gibb is no longer the "hard road" to travel and more and more there are inexperienced drivers out there on a mission.... slow down and enjoy!
AnswerID: 474051

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 21:51

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 21:51
Gossy,

I'd look at trying to grab yourself something in Broome now believe it or not). It's a nightmare otherwise and a luck of the draw if you are prepared to line up outside the parks first thing in the morning. Coral Coast is the same with the camp-sites at Cape Range being first in, best dressed at the ranger station that morning. Port Headland/Karratha may be OK but bloody expensive and usually a 3 night stay max. Try Point Sampson as an alternative to Karratha. 80 mile Beach half way between Hedland and Broome is another good stop but ring them a week or two before.

ELQ you should be OK but Kununurra can be tight during June-July (REAL tight). The free camps along the Gibb will be taken early but saying that, we had amazing luck finding Dog Chain Creek free last year. A Kimberley guide book would be a good thing and I'd suggest the EO GRR trek notes will probably outline a few roadside camps along the way.

Have fun.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474070

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 08:55

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 08:55
Geez, any good news :)
FollowupID: 748982

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:01

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:01
Ha HA Ha nope. It will be madness up there. Good fun never the less. Enjoy.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 749042

Reply By: Member - shane c5 - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 22:04

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 22:04
Hi, I am a guide up it in that amazing part of the world. You will be there with every other mad nut. Busy is an understatement. Can you delay till August? Dog chain creek is an amazing place and try to get arvo tea there. Not easily done. We had seven roll overs this year. They are upgrading the road by forming it and people have been clocked at 120km/hr. Can you beleive it. In 2010 the Wydham police were sent up the Kalumburu Rd due to speed and drinking. You will also find that around August they will grade the road after the school hols and your 4by has a better chance of survival!!!!! The kids won't miss much and probably get a better education? My email should show up and if you have some specific questions, happy to help.

shane
AnswerID: 474073

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 08:57

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 08:57
yep, dates are mid Aug to mid Sept. By the time we get up there it would be around the last week in Aug.
FollowupID: 748984

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:05

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:05
Autumn (Term 1) - 20 April to 4 May 2011
Winter (Term 2) - 9 July to 25 July 2011
Spring (Term 3) - 1 to 17 October 2011
Summer (Term 4) - 15 December 2011 to 31 January 2012

just found this for W.A. so the dates look good for us. We are away 19 Aug to 23 Sept. Should be up north of W.A. around the first week of Sept.

Dog Chain creek has been mentioned so I'll look into that spot more also. Thanks for the offer of contact. I'll keep this forum link and call on your help if required. 4 adults in 2 cars (my GQ and a Prado) so works out well we missed the school break.
FollowupID: 748986

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:49

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:49
Hey Gossy, further Mick is right about booking Broome now, and it may even be a little late.Broome's pop. goes from 15000+ to about 35000+ when everyone arrives. I do like to be out of Broome during this time. I would also look into booking Mornington Sanctuary if you are thinking of going there. I haven't since 1997, but the AWC owns it now and is a great spot. They also own Charnley river station as well and this is worth a look. Looks as though your dates are perfect, it will be starting to get a little hotter by then, but all the falls should still be running, even if only a trickle in places. Make sure you do Manning gorge behind Mount Barnett roadhouse. It is a sensational swimming hole at the campsite and after the 3.5km walk to the falls. You may even opt for a little luxury at Mitchell Falls and book into the APT camp up there. I would wait till around june before booking this as they start specials around this time or close too.

shane
FollowupID: 749150

Follow Up By: Gossy - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 14:20

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 14:20
cheers,
FollowupID: 749151

Reply By: Member - shane c5 - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 22:08

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 22:08
Sorry just saw the tanami part. remember, Rabbit flats is now closed and when I went that way in 2010 fuel was at the bakery at Yudu. I wouldn't trust it too much either! Tilmonth if you can make it would be best bet. While you are Halls Creek, Palm springs is well worth a look and you can camp there as well. Sunsets are amazing and the best time. The country comes alive!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 474074

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:07

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:07
The Prado should have have about 150 litres of diesel standard (?) and my GQ has 160 litres in dual tanks so no problem with Rabbit Flat shut. Shame it's closed; I was there many years ago when I lived in Darwin with work so it would have been good to see it again.
FollowupID: 748987

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:54

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:54
Hi Gossy

Broome is the one that needs booking in peak season these days - but a place we avoid. If you ask at the tourist centre, there are overflow areas you may be able to get into if all is booked out. Also camping area behind Roebuck Road House - without the need to drive into Broome.Kununurra can be tight, but you can usually get an unpowered site and sit it out for a day or two until someone pulls out. Pleasant CP at Wyndham (although amenities blocks are old) which you can also use as a fall back if you can't get into Kununurra. We reach Kununurra just before their show, otherwise showgrounds is an overflow camp ground, and we still managed to get a place. We never book anywhere so we can travel at our own pace.

We hit Alice Springs in 2009 just before their show early July, and getting into CPs wasn't the easiest.

In most places if you arrive before lunch there are always people pulling out each day.

If you don't need power it is much easier to get into a CP or bush camp a bit out of town.

Check out My Blogs 2008 for Gibb River Road and Tanami.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474087

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:26

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:26
We travelled the Gibb in July/August in 2011. We did not want to be tired down to dates and so we did not book. Having said that, we did book the Horizontal Waters Falls trip, the overnight stay, and glad we did. That trip is a must do!
The biggest problem we found was with large tag a long groups. They would arrive at camping areas and just take over. Of cause they would have to set up together and were very noisy. Windjana Gorge was so full we camped in the tour group area. There were some vacant spots in the camping area, but when we tried to go to them someone would run over and say they are holding that spot for someone else. The local rangers said you cannot hold sites, but who wants to argue and cause a scene.
We never were unable to find a place to camp, even at Broome. We just tried not to arrive late in the day and took our time touring.
The Kimberley is a big place and even though lots visit you can still find some quite places. We will be back!

Camping in Tour Operators area, Windjana Gorge.

Nice spot at Bungle Bungles.

Camp spot just outside Halls Creek.

Silent Grove camp ground

Camping atEl Questro.

Nice spot north of Kalumburu.

AnswerID: 474095

Sponsored Links