Great Central Highway

Looking to head across the Great Central highway in May. Just wondering if anyone has done it and has any recommendations on what to see where to stay or camp. We will be looking to tow our van across all be it slowly. Starting to organise our permits now.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - shane c5 - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 22:18

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 22:18
Hi teh Crow, I am actually in Crows Nest currently. Have done thi strack in 2010. I did it in January and experienced a fair amount of water. It is ciorrigated as you would expect.Giles weather station is worth a look and "camps" will show you some great campsites. I found some rock art signposted, alright I guess, but the wells with the spiders was well worth a look. You get mobile reception at Warburton which I found surprising tillI found out it was a major gold mining centre. A good drive.

shane
AnswerID: 474075

Follow Up By: grunta1970 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 02:08

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 02:08
Hey Shane. I am planning on doing the GCR in February on my motorbike. I have been gathering as much info as I can over the last few months, as I am totally aware of the risks involved travelling at that time of year, eg temperature, rainfall, lack of other motorists on the road. I am going to leave the final decision up until as late as I can . It's not set in stone that I will do it, If I think the risks are too great I do have an alternate trip I can take.

You say you travelled in Jan, and that there was a lot of rain during that period. Can you tell me, does it take much wet weather to make the road hard to travel?. I have checked the Giles weather station info , but it's hard to tell what level of rain has what effects on the road, if you know what I mean. Do you have any info you could fire my way?, anything would be much appreciated. Grant
FollowupID: 748969

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:46

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:46
If you are on a two wheeler, it will be simple to go around any puddles. I enjoyed the trip, but did it in a hurry. other plans for work. All you really need are the permits and the fuel range. As I said in the thread, I have heard that this road is earmarked for bitumen. Another great track ruined! I found it easy, but don't want to belittle the outback. Nor am I saying i am a great driver, but the track is firm and hard, even when wet.
Observe proper practice, take some time and all will be good. I believe APT do a trip that covers the area in two days! Spoke to the guide who was unimpressed with this.
shane
FollowupID: 749104

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 23:18

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 23:18
We did the GCR in July 2011, here is a link to my blog on it. Plenty of places to camp, though your permit restricts you to the few listed places.

Our Uluru trip via the GCR

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 474080

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:11
Hi The Crow

Check out My Blogs also - from 2008. A nice drive, particularly either side of the WA NT border.Giles weather station tour is great. We stayed behind Warakurna Roadhouse ready for the early start - a pleasant campground. Plenty of other opportunities to get well off the road for the night. Road conditions vary, but it is always a fairly punishing road. I would not risk taking a caravan unless it is a dedicated off road rough road caravan. Don't get your permits for this road too soon. For that stretch they are quick and easy to get on line from CLC for NT side and DIA for WA side, and for WA you have to be very specific about dates. We organised to get ours by fax from Yulara when we knew exactly what day we were heading out. CLC give you a three week travel window which is much more realistic for people touring.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 474082

Reply By: 158 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:38

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:38
Crow

Have a look at this site and this site http://www.outbackway.org.au/ buy there book it's full on info and uses HEMA maps.

the road is in its best condition and getting better every year.

Cheers
AnswerID: 474084

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 01:55

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 01:55
Yer I have just loaded the latest version of Hema maps and Natmaps onto our car computer and laptop. Looking forward to getting some use out of them.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749114

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 08:05

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 08:05
When we did the GCR we found Giles Breakaways to be a great camp and interesting view. It was not very well signposted but found easily by using moving map navigation.

Alan
AnswerID: 474092

Reply By: Rodge - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:59

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:59
We did the GCR in July, 2011 heading west. Road was quite corrugated on NT side but very good after WA border. May be different in 2012. Beautiful scenery as far as Warrakuna but gets fairly flat after that. Campgrounds: Docker Rv - pretty spot but not maintained (disgusting toilets). Warrakuna - excellent, even very well equipped campers kitchen. Warburton - OK as long as you don't mind being surrounded by a tall, barbwire topped fence.Giles weather station tour is very good - look for the Len Beadell original sketches in the display room. A great drive.Cheers, Rodge
AnswerID: 474163

Reply By: Member - shane c5 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:37

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:37
Hi Crow, the other thread replies are good. worth listening too. This road is actually earmarked for bitument as they want to create a link between perth and cairns. So the story goes. This will include the plenty hwy as well. When? I took this route as it was the only way I was going to get home to Broome, was done in a hurry (not good) but it is beautiful country. Get the permits and go. I will redo this track as spent little time as was focused on getting to Broome.
shane
AnswerID: 474168

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 00:20

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 00:20
Gidday Shane

i don't think you need to worry about bitumen on the GCR ... they have been talking about it for years and I confidently predict it will never happen. It is right up there with the high speed rail links promoted by the pie in the sky people. Can you imagine the cost? And there aren't a lot of votes in outback roads, the state of them is usually evidence of that. The best the proponents for the link to Cairns can hope for is an all-weather road, and that doesn't mean bitumen, just better gravel.

Cheers

Rocco
FollowupID: 749110

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:12

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:12
Hey rocco, I really hope you are right about this. It is getting hard to find great outback tracks that aren't being "fixed up". Doing a bit of road building on a track is a great way to get out of the car and smell the roses. I didn't camp in any of the community camp areas so don't know much about them.
shane
FollowupID: 749143

Reply By: Holden4th - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:22

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:22
Did the GCR in May 07 from the west. Will be doing it in April this year in the opposite direction. I'll be interested to see what improvements have been made on the NT side (Docker River) and also the last part of the WA side (Ngaanyatjarraku Shire). The road conditions changed dramatically after leaving Laverton Shire. While it was a bit bumpy, I found that you could happily travel around 90kph for most of the journey.
AnswerID: 474250

Reply By: Matt Davis - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 13:09

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 13:09
Did it south to North in November. It's a 4 lane dirt highway.....plenty of spots to camp and stop, you don't need maps nd it can be done in a Falcon.
AnswerID: 474375

Sponsored Links