legal width for fifth wheeler/toyhauler?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:00
ThreadID: 91013 Views:3337 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Could someone please tell me what the legal width for a fifth wheeler/toyhauler is for Australian roads. I am looking for one but I dont know much about them. I would really appreciate some advice as I am trying to get one imported from America. Does anyone have any input about the Heartland rvs as I have seen the cyclone brand and thought it looked pretty good but it is 8'5" wide.
I am moving to a mining town in the Pilbra and want to live in it.
Needing some advise from the experienced please :-)
regards
Lee
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:23

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 00:23
The maximum legal width for any vehicle registered in Australia is 2.5 meters not including mirrors and remote tyre inflation devices and not 1 mm more.

I can see several good reasons to stay under 2450mm.

8 feet 5 inches is approximately 2439mm

cheers
AnswerID: 474083

Follow Up By: Robert K3 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 06:13

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 06:13
As Bantam states the legal limit in Australia is 2.5 m however the 5th Wheeler you are looking at is 8' 5" wide which is the most common width in the USA and at 101" wide converts to 2565mm which is about 2.5" overwidth.

There have been plenty of discussions on the Forum regarding the importation of 5th wheelers and the general opinion is that it is way to much work to get them compliant.

Cheers

Robert
FollowupID: 748971

Follow Up By: Simon C - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:04

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:04
Some of the "other" compliance issues are:
The AC electrical changes.
Gas Plumbing certification
A door must be on the LHS of the RV
ADR compliance (Brakes, Width, Trailer Lighting), Import approvals, Quarrantine (if second hand)

Not impossible, but some reserch and work required
FollowupID: 748985

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 10:17

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 10:17
8'5" is 2565mm

Also, I think a door is allowed to be in the rear.
FollowupID: 748994

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:34

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:34
I should have done the conversion my self instead of trusting an on line calculator..sorry.

And remember, if you want to regester it ther is no flexibility on the matter, 2.5 meters and not a mm more...and that includes ropes, straps lips, flaps screws and rivets......2.5 meters and not a mm more.

cheers
FollowupID: 749002

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:37

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:37
As Stated above. 8'5" is 2565mm.

Australian Regulation Re: Width
"A trailer must not exceed 2.5 metres in overall width. The maximum distance is measured across the body including wheel guards, but excluding signalling devices and side-mounted lamps".
Note: Any awnings etc added to the RV must be included in the 2500mm width.

Importing a used RV from the US is almost impossible these days as there are just to many regulations that they don't or can't coply with.
Even ordering a new one built to Aus standards is fraut with problems.
The importers that are having vans RV especially manufactured for the Aus market still have quiite a few hurdles to jump.
Ozjohn.

PS> Lots of illegal older imports on the roads.
Plenty getting caught out after buying them and trying to re-register in another state at a latter date.

FollowupID: 749003

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:26

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:26
Dimensions for all vehicles are in VSI-05

As OJ said, be wary of second hand ones. Many (or was it most) of them were given compliance certificates by "tame" tradesmen. Steel gas plumbing was not replaced with copper. Appliances were passed out whether they had Australian approval numbers or not (ie not fully checked.)

Some have the old 110 V wiring in them supplying 240 V to new electrical appliances. Others have 240/110 step down transformers, these are not allowed in portable and mobile dwellings.

If the trailer has an ATM of over 4.5 tonnes (and it comes from the USA) it probably will have electric brakes. These must be changed to air or vacuum.

If you wish to import then start by reading VSB-10 For other things to consider, read these links:

Site Link - Site Link - Site Link

Those who import 5th wheelers into Oz often source the PC items and wiring in Oz and supply them to the manufacturer or fit them here.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 749032

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:53

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:53
Gday,
Like everyone are saying, really do your homework on this one or it could be a very expensive exercise.
A company my old Man managed years ago (20-30 something years ago mind you) imported a fith wheeler from the States form a parent company with the idea of modifying them and selling them in Australia. It ended up making a great shack for the managers mounted on the edge of a cliff over looking the coast. I remember him saying it was too wide for Australian roads and was going to be too much work to modify them to make Australian standards.
American power is a nightmare and I reckon you would have to gut the whole thing and start again.....let alone engineering certificates.....gas certification etc etc....

Good Luck
Cheers
AnswerID: 474114

Reply By: Robert K3 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:11
Performax - Gympie

Might pay to give these people a ring as they seem to know what thay are doing. Was by there the other day and they had 3-4 in their yard along with about 10 Chevy trucks.

AnswerID: 474115

Follow Up By: Lee 64 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:45

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:45
The croosroads cruiser looks great... thanks for the link
regards
Lee
FollowupID: 749050

Reply By: hopscotch - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:29

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:29
Personally I would suggest that you "run a mile" from the idea of importing a 5th wheeler.

There was/is a unit sitting in a yard in Queensland which was imported by a dealer and sold as being totally compliant in every aspect. After one year out and about the owner had to present the unit for inspection prior to re-registration and it was at this point that he found that he would never be able to get it registered for use on Australian roads. Evidently the original compliance certificates were dodgy because everything from the gas installation to the electrical system to the overall size and configuration was wrong. It even cost him $thousands to have the gas system removed even though there was no way it was going to be used.

Rear overhang was too long. Gooseneck arrangement illegal.

Have a look at Rogues Gallery on caravannersforum.com.au
AnswerID: 474123

Reply By: Lee 64 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:41

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:41
I really thank you all for your fantastic advice, as the last thing I want to do is be scammed by anyone.
Someone from this forum put me onto Rowmont Pty Ltd which is based in the Gold Coast He is at the Heartland factory in the states at the moment and said he can get some good deals for them and that he has tow vehicles ready to go in his holding yard in the states. I guess the first question I will ask him is how wide is it. Now I have some facts about all this thanks to you all.
So is there a brand here in Australia that makes toyhaulers ??? or one that is recommended?
Cheers :-)
Lee
AnswerID: 474130

Follow Up By: hopscotch - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 19:26

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 19:26
Please do a through checkout of just who and what before you go into a deal for an import.

Not everyone is to be trusted.

Kevin J
FollowupID: 749066

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:06

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:06
Any of the 5th wheeler builders who will do major mods to their vans will do toy haulers. Jayco make them in caravans, maybe a few others do.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 749075

Reply By: Member - Happy Gutz (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:09

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:09
A small thing that can make a big difference. The 2.5 max width does not include clearance lights UNLESS they are the type with the metal fin top and bottom to prevent light damage. The metal lip makes them illegal. I've just got my HVRAS licence, one thing they drummed into us
AnswerID: 474153

Sponsored Links