Bikes on a camper trailer, ideas and help wanted

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 12:12
ThreadID: 91020 Views:4856 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Looking to carry 2 bikes when taking the Camper Trailer away. Its an Assie Swag recent model. The makers can supply a rack that fits between the stone guard and fridge box at the front or a swingaway bike rack on the back. I have concerns with both options. Fixing bikes on the front will make access to the back car door impossible and also means bikes cop a barrage of dust/stones. Mounting on the back is an expensive option and it also gets the most severe shaking of all parts of the trailer.

I am considering fitting the Thule type roof carriers to the rack on top of the trailer and attaching bikes that way. Means they have to be taken off each night if moving regularly but is relatively inexpensive, out of most of the dust and probably less shaking.

Interested in how other people have carried bikes, pros and con of different options and ideas on how well people think the Thule type roof-rack carriers work.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 13:24

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 13:24
Consider folding bikes.

But I'd certainly go for racks on top of the trailer. You'll get really quick at moving them if you do it often!
AnswerID: 474109

Reply By: gordon_adel - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:44

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:44
Are you able to mount a towbar behind the trailer? That's what I've done with my trailer. Then have a bike rack that I have hooked up to.
AnswerID: 474113

Follow Up By: gordon_adel - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:48

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:48
I'll see if I can post a pic.

FollowupID: 749025

Follow Up By: outback epicurean - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:46

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:46
Hi

Thanks for the idea. My concern would be how they would handle very corrugated roads as the back of the trailer seems to be where it all shakes about. Have you sued this set up on say the Tanami track or similar?
FollowupID: 749035

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:07

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:07
If corrugations are a worry, have a look at www.isi-carriers.com they are the best in australia.
FollowupID: 749038

Follow Up By: gordon_adel - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:20

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:20
Haven't done that track but have definitely done some corrugated roads. So far so good...
FollowupID: 749039

Follow Up By: outback epicurean - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:27

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:27
Hi The isi carriers look interesting and will follow up. Many thanks
FollowupID: 749040

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 19:29

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 19:29
Gday Epicurean
Just throw them on top of the canvas and let the pedals go through like someone dear to me did with my camper. The only reason the tent bit was not damaged is because we have a table and camp chairs under the main cover. Such is life with a rello. I dont lend it any more. $300.00 or so for a new top.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474149

Reply By: Fatso - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:13

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:13
If you are going to actually ride your bikes put them inside your car. If that is not possible, the next best option is to put them on the roof of your car.
If you do not intend to ride them and you are just taking them because you like carrying useless junk then put them in front, behind or on top of your trailer.
The reason I say this is because dust, road grime & stones will totally "nasty 4 letter word" them.
Don't think you can't get them inside your car. If you have the motivation anything is possible.
We carried 2 expensive road bikes & all our camping gear, including 3' swags with 3" high density mattresses in them & a 60l Trailblazer fridge inside a Patrol Wagon. The only thing on the roofrack was the gas bottle. Nothing was allowed to touch the bikes either for fear of chafe.
I've done 5 or 6000 km on that bike since carrying it from Cairns to Burketown to Maree, Finke, Alice, Adelaide, Flinders Ranges & home to Cairns via a few more dirt highways. My bike has currently got about 15,000 km on it & there is probably still another 15,000 km wear still left in it.
If it had been on the outside I would have had to replace every bearing, cable, the chain & the groupset. Might as well have thrown the things away & bought a new one.
Some friends from the family's BMX days drove to Adelaide from Cairns on the in a Falcon with their expensive BMX bikes on a carrier on the rear. When they got there the road grime had made its way into every part of the bikes. Even where the spokes go through the rims. This required a quick expensive total rebuild before race day.
The bikes made the return trip dismantled inside the car.

Fatso
AnswerID: 474166

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 00:19

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 00:19
I'm with fatso,
I like to take my bike off the roof of the car and use it, not have to clean the bike, lube every part, tighten each nut and replace parts that rattled off as it bounced around with the camper. (ive had racks on the top of my camper trailer - but much prefer on top of the car. )

Have fun.
AnswerID: 474172

Reply By: bockstar1 - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:08

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:08
Hi there

We have a Challenge Camper Trailer. The folk at All-Terrain in Sydney welded a 50x50mm steel tube to the underside of the rear of the camper. The tube has a hole for a pin (similar to your towbar arrangement). Into this goes the towbar tongue and onto that goes the bike rack.

The only addition I've done is to fit a bolt to the tube to prevent the tongue for moving/jiggling about. I used a Reamer to make the hole, then a high-tensile bolt.

We carry 2 BMX bikes for the kids. So far, so good.

The only con is that once the bikes are on, you can't easily get to the C/T without removing the bikes and bike rack.
AnswerID: 474182

Sponsored Links