Last chance to have your say on Cape York Chili Beach esplanade closures

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 12:33
ThreadID: 91021 Views:1824 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to those who have signed the petition.
I am posting again because when I posted before I didn't have the documentation and the petition up yet so people may have missed the opportunity to have their say.
This is the last chance as comments close today for submission to the minister.

I have placed the support documents - the original notices and the letter of petition from the community on Cape York Blog along with an online petition supporting the retention of the Esplanade under current management, please feel free to sign the petition or contact DERM direct.

Thanks for your support.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 13:41

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 13:41
I understand the camp ground is currently under the management of the Queensland DERM, but can you post any detail on why they are wanting to gazette the Esplanade?

I've looked at their website, but can't see anything, and the Cape York blog highlights the impact closing the Esplanade will have, but no detail as to the rationale DERM are using??

Regards, The Landy
AnswerID: 474111

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:02

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 14:02
We just have the notices that came from DERM that are on Cape York Blog to go by.
My understanding is that they are closing any esplanades that are adjacent to the National Parks as part of the reorganisation of ownership of National Parks that has been happening throughout Cape York.

If not enough of an argument is given that there is a need for public access any more they will be closed to public access and managed by QNPWS.

At the moment the esplanade of Chili Beach is under the care of Cook Shire and they made an agreement with QNPWS that they could have the camp ground there.

Locals feel that they are better placed to look after the place, so leave the situation as it is rather than QNPWS who don't have enough resources to do the job properly, and have principals at odds with locals, like burning off at the wrong time of year and removing coconut trees.
FollowupID: 749015

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:19

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 16:19
Signed, good luck. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474121

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 18:22

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 18:22
Thanks
Cate
FollowupID: 749052

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:04

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:04
Sorry we missed this, but sent an email as suggested

Regards Tony
AnswerID: 474152

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:30

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:30
Thank you
I should have put a new post up earlier
We got an-out-of-office reply so it is probably worth sending more emails tonight
Thanks again
Cate
FollowupID: 749079

Sponsored Links