Midgies in top end

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:10
ThreadID: 91024 Views:2788 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
We are travelling this great country next year and have a camper trailer. Unfortunately it does not have midge proof screens on the windows. We aim to be around the Gibb river Rd. in May then June around Darwin and July around Cape York roughly. Just wondering how people have found the midges, any advice for protection and if the midge proof screens would be deemed necessary on the camper. I have bought one of the hanging mossie nets to use either in the verandah area or in the camper. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Carreen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:18

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:18
Have aread of this, It might help.

All about Sandflies and Biting Midges
AnswerID: 474116

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:05

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:05
Notso,
Thanks for the link, it has some great infomation
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 749083

Follow Up By: Carreen - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:19

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:19
Thanks for the link-some interesting information.
Cheers, Carreen
FollowupID: 749085

Reply By: Member - Carl- Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:57

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 15:57
Hi Carreen,

If you are geting a hanging mosie net make sure it is an army one. One easy way of telling if it is an army one is the colour. They are, you guessed it.......green. They are also long like a bed and hang above a cot on 4 ties. The civilain ones and not that much clop. Try a good army surplas store or if you know someone in the army they might ste---- one for you.
AnswerID: 474119

Follow Up By: Carreen - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:19

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:19
Oh thanks-back to the shops I go to get a proper one! Carreen
FollowupID: 749086

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:11
Great to see such forward planning Careen - you are right to be concerned - being from 'way down south', our first trip up there a few years back was a bit of a challenge, re the insects. A search on this forum will turn up plenty of good advice - apart from the usual prevention measures (nets as you say, plus clothing options and the lotions and sprays, don't forget the antihistamines in case one of your group has a significant reaction. Our biggest learning factor was that when the locals call them "no see-ems" they mean it - you may get bitten and you won't even know, until the lumps come up later.
AnswerID: 474126

Follow Up By: Carreen - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:20

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:20
Thanks Darian,
Just added antihistamines to my list for the first aid kit-good advice.
Carreen
FollowupID: 749087

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:22

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:22
Just realised, as per below - mozzie coils and sticks etc. are of use too - the green Mortein Insect Coils from the supermarket are dead cheap - heaps of them for your dollar - the metal lid only holds one burning coil though - we often had half a dozen of them on the go, so had to find other safe options to accommodate them while burning (without setting fire to the bush :-o). We have plenty of the New Mountain Insect Sticks too - I think they are better than the coils but cost more - can be poked into the ground or rested in a bottle (often found in hardware stores).
FollowupID: 749137

Reply By: JimDi - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 20:11
Carreen,
We use a combination as I seem to be attractive to both midges and mossies.
1. A tropical strength spray for the skin.
2. Mortein coils and Mortein odourless mossie zapper tablets burned over a candle setup.
With me its a case sometimes of using just one solution or all three when they get really bad.
They are all available at supermarkets.
Enjoy your trip.
Jim
AnswerID: 474154

Follow Up By: Carreen - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:22

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:22
Thanks for the info-they don't seem to be as bad as I thought, I had visions of replacing all the fly wire mesh in the camper before we go which would have been expensive.
Cheers, Carreen
FollowupID: 749088

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:54

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:54
As well as anithistamine medication I would suggest you add a good soothing anti septic cream to your first aid kit too. Discuss this with an experienced chemist. As has been said, the worst thing about midgies is that you do not know you are being bitten until the lumps appear! Once the lumps are there if you start to itch it is nearly impossible to avoid scratching! In the tropics any small sores from insect bites etc can quickly get infected and become a serious problem. As ignorant first timers at Rainbow Beach we ended up looking like victims of a ghastly plague! Now we know!
Midgies seem to appear and disappear so a place may have none one year and be infested another year! So you are unlikely to find them everywhere.
Mosquitoes are a more serious health risk really but your nets and window screens plus repellant as required should be fine to deal with them. Lynne
AnswerID: 474191

Follow Up By: Carreen - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:45

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:45
Thanks Lynne, I will check on the medication and add to our first aid kit for sure.
Carreen
FollowupID: 749516

Reply By: edwin - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:54

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:54
Hi Carreen,have the same issue with my camper trailer,I learnt a trick in Africa when I worked there, we used to soak our mozzie nets in 100% deet solution,then hang to dry, that would sort out the bugs that landed on it and stop them getting thru, but deet can be a bit harsh for some people.when I was working up in the kimberleys an old bushy told me to get some permethrin from the rural supplies and do the same thing with the nets,,it works a bloody treat, its safe for humans (in a dry state)yes I have checked the MSDS for it)the bugs that land on it dont last long, midgies are tiny I know but they have to be pretty good at getting thru the screen without touching or bumping it on the way,which sorts them out.
We live close to mangroves in nth qld and I spray the fly screens with the same stuff, but dont dilute as per directions,stronger the better.
No need to go to the rural supplies shop for this stuff,I have found it at big w in the pestcides section, its called chem spray ant spider killer ,comes in a small bottle with a green box about $10/$12 from memory. have used it on camper screens for past 2years and hasnt affected canvas at all .
Trust me it works ,I am surprised no one else knows about it.
Have an awesome trip up north,just dont forget the bushmans
cheers
ED
AnswerID: 474205

Follow Up By: edwin - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:00

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:00
also forgot , get some tea tree ointment from the chemist, at some stage on your trip you will get bitten and this stuff is awesome,,
dont get the oil or lotion ,has to be the ointment (thursday plantation brand)
FollowupID: 749133

Follow Up By: Carreen - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:43

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:43
Thanks so much Edwin. I will go to Big W and use the spray to do the fly screens and try soaking the nets in the other gear also. We are in Tassie and I have just bought a little contraption that you click on your skin to stop the itchies.
Happy travels, carreen
FollowupID: 749515

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 15:01

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 15:01
Hi Carreen.
I'm a magnet to all those sorts of insects.
I got massacred at Derby out on the pier as the sun was setting & the tide was coming in.
Can't see them but it feels like tiny feathers falling all over you.
I was O.k & wondered what they were.
I had a reaction the next day Hubby didn't.
I what a mess . A mass of little raised pimple like things & with cream colored goo seeping out. I then found out that I was attacked by midges,( the Feathers)
It took 8 months for the last of the bites to go.

I was advised that a month before going back or to anywhere in the tropics to start on a course of vitamin B tablets & stay on then whilst in the areas. I've written down all the recipes for concoctions which I've seen on the Forum.
There was a post about this way back but too late for me! Good luck, just before you buy the tea tree lotion, just make sure you aren't allergic to it. I am.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye for now Ma.
AnswerID: 474218

Follow Up By: Carreen - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:46

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:46
Thanks Ma and pa,
We are getting really excited about our adventure, thanks for the advice.
Carreen
FollowupID: 749517

Sponsored Links