How many Death traps hurtling at you on the HWYS???.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:12
ThreadID: 91036 Views:3747 Replies:11 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
We had friends visit us over Xmas from another state,( Won't mention which one),, But it was a case where Rego inspections don't apply,..Its ok for the mechanically minded, problems can be reckonised, but for those that are oblivious to any sort of mechanical issue happening with a vehicle, it can be a big concern.... These friends had a Falcon with ball joints that clagged the front tyres where starting to screech driving in a straight line, they thought something was wrong but where prepared to go back home to get it fixed.

So big hearted me gets invovled replacing bottom ball joints, to make the thing half safe,...Just wondering what else is out there?..lol.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dbish - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:40

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:40
If he gets it regularly serviced it should have been picked up long ago, as they dont just suddenly wearout! Makes you wonder what his Garage/Mechanic is like. When i was working as a mechanic in a local Ford dealership all joints were checked at each service. If a car is regularly serviced by a garage properly there should be no need for anual checkups.
AnswerID: 474161

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:45

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:45
Problem is non mechancial people do not get their car serviced, even though they are the ones that need it the most.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 749094

Follow Up By: Axle - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:58

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 21:58
So very true Pete!!....a oil change by a mate every pancake day,and she'll be right mate'!

Axle
FollowupID: 749096

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:20

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:20
Yes Axle, my 32 yo just discovered hi tech engines do not last forever if you give them one service in three years.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 749100

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 00:34

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 00:34
I summise you guys are generalising here....... that's not the case with all 'non mechanically minded' people I'm sure....

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 749111

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:06

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:06
Axle,
I am going to disagree with you.

I believe you are talking about QLD.

Many years ago I went threw a yearly road worthy in your state with a vehicle that had the chassis cross member completely cut in half. It passed with no problems at all.

I have mates in your state that have some huge mods done to their vehicles that pass every year.

I have taken trucks over the pits for there yearly inspections and had them pass when I know there are problems.

Now what you have to do is see how many accidents are caused or by vehicles with a road worthy problem.

I think you will find that this state is no different to the others. If it is I will stand corrected.

Have a good one'
RA.
AnswerID: 474164

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 07:32

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 07:32
G/Day RA, ..Not saying that vehicles with mechanical faults are the cause of all accidents, but something with a nice solid front end has to be a better bet than something thats flogged out. , As far as trucks go , Nothing gets past RTA inspections these Days, and any truck involved in a serious accident is taken to a holding yard where they crawl all over it looking for defects that may have contiributed to the accident, some come away with a clean sheet, others end up in strife whether their in the wrong or not.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 749119

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:19

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:19
G'day guys,

As an ex cockroach and now living in Brisvegas (last 22 years) I have to agree with RA. There was an RACQ (NRMA for you Axle hahaha) which highlighted that the reason they did not support a yearly check in this state was that accident stats showed that there were more unroadworthy vehicles involved in NSW than QLD and that was after motorists had spent some obscene amount of money on their annual inspections.

Having owned a dated car in my youth nothing grated me more than to be told that the blinker lenses were faded or my handbraked emergency stop was not short enough! My little model 10 renault was technically way more advanced than the HD I owned just before. It really depended on the checker and his attitude which just sucked in my instance.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 749130

Follow Up By: ross - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:04

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:04
Ive had to take a couple of cars for their yearly inspections in the eastern states and I was surprised at how corrupt much of it is.
I was offered a inspection pass for $150 back hander,another mechanic tried to tell me the tyres were no good when it was obvious they were(and were happily passed by someone else)

In WA cars may not have yearly inspections,but the cops are onto them pretty quick when they are looking delapidated.
When they go over the inspection pits here,its a real going over,no back handers,no nothing.
If its pile of junk it stays off the road until fixed
FollowupID: 749135

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:53

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:53
people that believe in yearly inspections is proof that some people will believe anything

considering the massive amount of unlicensed people and un registered vehicles (000s get impounded every year) its mega highly doubtfull someone without a license driving a bomb is going to take it in for an inspection
FollowupID: 749189

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:08

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:08
Yep. plenty of "Death traps" on our roads and the part most likely to cause grief is the "Nut behind the wheel" and no amount of inspecting seems to correct the "attitude", "lack of tolerance" or just plain old "shouldn't be allowed on roads" You can inspect the vehicle as often as you like but it makes not the slightest difference to the carnage they cause.
I read somewhere that when the cause of fatalities or serious injury on our roads was analysed driver error was something like 97%. Vehicular failure accounted for the rest.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 474165

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:13

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:13
Pop,
you are certainly on the ball.

Have a good one,
RA.
FollowupID: 749098

Follow Up By: Off-track - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:51

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:51
Summed it up pretty accurately.

All the safety features in the world wont stop the fool from wiping someone else out.
FollowupID: 749105

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 00:37

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 00:37
Spot on there pop2jocem......the car isn't the problem it's mostly the one behind the wheel but unfortunately in a lot of cases they take out others with them.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 749112

Follow Up By: Fatso - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:19

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:19
A car is an inanimate object.
It can not be held responsible for anything.
Blaming the car is like blaming the hammer for missing the nail.
FollowupID: 749144

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:20

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 22:20
When I lived down there I was quite shocked that once a vehicle is registered the first time it doesn't need inspection again until it changes hands. Locals were even proud of how rusty and unreliable their vehicles were. I only found this out when I asked why a friend if he was worried about getting caught driving his paddock basher into to town.

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474167

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 04:46

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 04:46
Axle
We live in Vic.

I do not see what the problem is ?
Most road deaths, and crashes ( over 95%) are attriduted to the area between the steering wheel and the seat.

Yearly inspections only raise revenue for the local Governments, and may pick up a potential problem 1 day a year. There are another 364 days left when the vehicle can be just as unroadworthy, as thier counterparts in Vic.

I see no problem with rust in vehicles, and again 95% of drivers will repair rusty spots. A rusty guard or boot is by no means unroadworthy, yet the "boys in Blue", in NSW, are deadly on that. I know as I lived in Albury for 3 years.

Rusty chassis, and subframes are a totally different story, but then again this shoule be easily picked up by a good mechanic, during servicing.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 474175

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 21:26

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 21:26
the boys in blue aren't so deadly about drivers tootling up and down the F3 with no back lights though - I've lost count of the amount of old bangers I've seen and nearly run up the clacker because they've got no rear lights. Maybe they were all busy interviewing the shark on Avoca beach that gave a bloke a two inch scratch the other day. All eight of em standing by on the beach with handcuffs in case it re-appeared. Priceless it was. They even abandoned their burgers in an effort to get a statement from the assailant. EIGHT of em......

LOL
FollowupID: 749185

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 21:59

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 21:59
Good comment Bucky. I have to agree with that.

If road safety really is the # one objective of all highway patrol police, and not revenue raising, why aren't they pulling over many more suss looking vehicles ??? (we the other road users can see them, it's not hard, why can't they) and send them over the RTA pits with a defect notice, which needs rectifying before the vehicle can once again grace our roads. I would rather see that, than see them hiding behind a shrub or tree waiting for an easy prey.

We, the other road users, see so many serious traffic infringements every day, why don't they. I'll tell you why, they are busy hiding in ambush. I think the term "Highway Patrol" is used way out of context for their job description. Cashiers springs to mind LOL.

In response to your post, Axle ....the Police responsible for our road safety can get these death traps off our roads, much easier and more permanently than a so so mechanic looking for a quick buck. So....why don't they??

Don't tell me it's not to do with another Govt dept (RTA) raking in $$$$$ for rego fees no matter what condition the vehicle is in. e.g. Just look more closely at the next box trailer you follow down the road, attached to a shiny new tug. It has been exempt from examination since it's first rego. Many are nothing more than scrap metal, but we see them every day with wheels come off, drawer bars parted company with the trailer, way overloaded etc. But, apparently, they don't represent a danger on our roads :-((

Axle is right, the system stinks.
FollowupID: 749186

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 22:53

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 22:53
Bucky, I would have to agree with you, but really, I see so many cars without plates that I wonder if they ever get serviced and that isn't just country roads either.

Policing has slipped over the past few years, but this week driving from Northern Victoria, to home in the South West on Friday, there was a very visible presence seeing five or six cars or bikes for the day. Of course then there were the ones I didn't see.
FollowupID: 749260

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 07:28

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 07:28
John
The thing is that everybody wants to seu the cops now a days, even if they get it 98% right, some smart RRrrr's will take it to the Nth degree, just to get off.

Bring back real old fashioned style policing.
A good kisk up the RRrrr's, ot a hit in the ear never really hurt anybody, especially if you are doing the wrong thing, and caught "red handed".
It taught us respect, which is one thing that seems to be missing these days.

Mind you when the boot is on teh other foot, there should be no "closed shop" approach either.

Pro Active Policing would be nice...But we live in a new era, where we have "re active" policing, and that never works.

And another thing is, make the sentances or fines "real hard". Not the crap that they are, at the moment
Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 749272

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:41

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:41
Gday Axle,
Like the others have said above, regular inspections do not save lives. In many states they are a rort to make money for the garages. If they were serious about inspections, there would be government inspection stations (like in NT) where you could get an independant inspection. Two of my daughters have moved to Vic and Qld and had their cars inspected. The Qld one - we got a second opinion and the bushes were actually fine, but she had to get them replaced to get the piece of paper out of the mechanic who did the inspection. The Vic one got knocked back on the rear windscreen wiper rubber and the guy gauged another $30 out of her to replace it before he'd write the ticket. I since found out that it wasn't an inspection item anyway.

RAA here in SA have campaigned against regular inspections because it is a waste of people's money. Here in SA thousands of cars get run off the road by random police inspections and the dreaded defect sticker. Much more sensible IMO. I was brought up in NSW and as young people we knew where to get our vehicles inspected - the guy would come out, take your money, check the tyres and lights and write a pink slip.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 474199

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:48

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:48
Here's a link where the RAA addresses the problem and backs it up with the relevant research:
RAA LINK about Vehicle Inspections
FollowupID: 749132

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 08:59

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 08:59
I fail to see where N.S.W. as opposed to Qld. Vic or any other place, sees more defective motor vehicles.

It is now mandatory for Authorised Inspection Stations to provide details of the vehicles mechanical condition to the R.T.A. by computer when inspected. If the vehicle is not passed for registration because it is defective in some way, the fact is recorded.

So it's then necessary to have the defect repaired or replace the item of concern, and have the vehicle re-inspected. Of course this is open to corrupt or unethical practices, but should the person/s passing a vehicle for roadworthyness get caught they loose their authority, and are fined. Or if the vehicle is passed and though some glaringly obvious defect someone is killed or injured, the inspecting person can find themselves having a couple of fun days before judge & jury, charged with one of the homicide or injury offences.

Where I live there always seems to be one or two previously authorised places suddenly unauthorised for shonky practices. The other aspect is should the cops inspect a vehicle for defects when it's stopped for other reasons, and they do, and it's found that a short time previously the vehicle was passed, there's some explaining to do on behalf of the person passing the vehicle.

New vehicles do not need an annual inspection for five years, but in that five years a fair bit can go wrong, and tyres to scrub and wear out, so the onus is on the owner or driver to ensure that things are correct, otherwise if detected you get pinged.

It's a pain in the backside to have to take a vehicle to an authorised inspection station annually, but at least you know that it is mechanically O.K. Not so elsewhere it seems, eh?

I didn't have much to do with Qld. registered vehicles, but S.A. is the place. Good grief, you'll see rust, oil leaks, excessive smoke, totally backed out windows, crook tyres, and FWD's, holy moley, and this list goes on.

They say that a vehicle's condition seldom has any impact upon a prang, rubbish, rubbish, & rubbish. The driver will usually be doing something that is negligent in the first place, but then the defects will be apparent. For example, not being able to stop in time because of crook brakes or tyres, loss of control due to steering issues and again tyre defects, vehicles coming apart in prangs, when it shouldn't because of rust. You will see bodgie modifications done outside of what the manufacturer specifies, and so the list goes on.

Sorry guys but don't make me laugh. Next time you see a S.A. vehicle that's more than a couple of years old, have a look at it.

And I wonder why I still have some bad nights?
AnswerID: 474266

Follow Up By: Off-track - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 15:33

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 15:33
I think it's a bit harsh you rubbish people without any facts. No one said that it wasnt a factor, just that it wasnt a main factor. Something also backed by RAA.
FollowupID: 749221

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 19:32

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 19:32
"should the cops inspect a vehicle for defects when it's stopped for other reasons, and they do, and it's found that a short time previously the vehicle was passed, there's some explaining to do on behalf of the person passing the vehicle. "

NO

cops arnt mechanics or even trained in inspections

all they do is give a defect on their opinion

its up to the inspection place to check the vehicle out as to wheather the defect was warranted

coppers have too much power they can slap a canary on your vehicle for absalutly no reason
then its up to you to pay to get it taken off
FollowupID: 749241

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 08:39

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 08:39
There's no perfect system.
The problem with vehicle inspections in NSW, Qld and Vic is that there is a big financial incentive for an inspector to identify a problem (whether it is real or not), and hold the car owner to ransom unless they get it fixed. Been through that with two of my daughters in Vic and Qld in the past 2 years. The inspectors need to be independant - preferably Govt inspectors. The MTA in SA has been the only audible body campaigning for regular inspections because it puts $$$ into the pockets of its members.

My daughter who moved to Qld was forced to replace 4 trailing arm bushes - the inspector said he'd do it straight away for about $600. I told her to go to Pedders and get a second quote. She did and they replaced them for $300, even though the orignals were not defective. It was easier to go ahead with the repair, than for a young lady to challenge the original inspector who had logged it in the system and clearly thought he could make a quick buck from a young lady who normally may not have known better.

I reckon its a while since you've been in SA. No point in rehashing what things were like 20 years ago. There have been blitzes on random inspections of vehicles in recent years to do away with unroadworthy vehicles.
Type ...vehicle defect blitz South Australia... into Google for some light reading.
FollowupID: 749278

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 09:07

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 09:07
I was in S.A. yesterday, and two days before that I drove through Adelaide. See I live 47 km into N.S.W. and where I live relates in most things to S.A.

I'm not saying that there's not unscrupulous motor mechanics out there, but it's a case of 'buyer beware', and like most quotes it's a good idea to at least three, just to get an idea. I know that they try to 'flim flam' women, my wife purchased a motor vehicle from a dealer without my knowledge (I was working elsewhere) and it was a wreck. I took them on and got our money back, but it was no cakewalk to do so.

It's funny but I've not heard of any 'blitz' by Transport S.A. or SAPOL on defective motor vehicles, except one instance, and that was done at some Holden convention. Personally I'd love to see one because if that's the case most of the wrecks I see driving around here with S.A. plates would probably be off the road. It would be plastered all over the news, and as I said we relate to S.A.

I recall that a rego check in N.S.W. is in the region of $25.00. It also costs the firm/person conducting the check about $1400 to be authorised, and then there's the annual fee, so taking into account the cost & time involved, because they must do a brake check, it's money well spent in my opinion.

Now, I'll agree that most cops are not mechanics or vehicle examiners. The HWP police do get a lot of O.J.T. but you don't need a 5 year apprenticeship to be able to identify rust, smooth tyres, excessive exhaust noise & smoke, and oil leaks. All you need to do is use your eyes and ears.

From my observations in N.S.W. the mechanical standard of motor vehicles is immeasurably higher than most of the other states.

In my working life I have never seen a motor vehicle's rust repaired with 'nicky' and newspapers, I've seen several from S.A. & one was for sale in a lot here. Nor have I ever seen a vehicle with a great big hole rusted out beneath the driver's position, I've seen a S.A. registered vehicle like that!

So annual inspections are a rort eh? No they're not, it's a safety check, pure and simple. If you have to pay for your safety and that of other vehicle occupants, so be it.

FollowupID: 749280

Follow Up By: Off-track - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 10:46

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 10:46
Definately a rort for many.

Also good revenue for the govt.
FollowupID: 749290

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 22:21

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 22:21
Gday Richard,
Thats funny about you being in SA - I just got home after spending the weekend in Sydney! And come to think of it, on the way to the airport tonight, we followed a traytop truck that had the rust in the roof bogged up and sprayed with primer - he hadn't even smoothed the bog off - you'll get vehicles like that in every state but the real point is a vehicle with a bit of rust doesn't kill people according to the stats. But rust doesn't happen much in vehicles these days.

The Commodore blitz was a couple of years ago from memory - but they said it wasn't a blitz - just happened to notice a lot of defective Commodores!! They target young people in commodores because so many of them are tragically killing themselves.

The $35 cost of inspection in NSW is OK - quite reasonable. But if they push for an unnecessary $500 repair it becomes a rort. In Victoria the inspector can charge any fee they like for the inspection - my other daughter got charged $95 - that was the guy who ripped her off for a $30 rear wiper rubber that wasn't even an inspection item. He's walked away with $120 for taking her car for a drive and putting it on the hoist.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 749349

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 17:55

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 17:55
Revenue raising and rort , Sister inlaw sells car to Brother inlaw A. has to have vehicle inspected and roadworthy cert = $$$ , Brother inlaw A. decides has no real need for the car and sells vehicle to other Brother B. one week later , another inspection and roadworthy cert required =$$$ ,,, vehicle distance travelled 4.5 klm ,,,,,,, Safety value of 2x inspections =NIL
AnswerID: 474301

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 23:01

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 23:01
There are other things that influence how bad some vehicles or combinations can be. In November, just after we had picked up our new caravan we drove up the highway just South of Bundaberg and came up behind another car and caravan combination. The car a white Nissan GQ it turned out towing a York caravan.

Every so often the caravan would sway from side to side so that from 40m behind, I saw both sides of the caravan in turn. The influence wasn't from trucks going the other way, though that unsettled it. I couldn't see what was making it sway.

Quite frankly I couldn't get past quick enough, just in case something awful happened in front of us
AnswerID: 474337

Reply By: Bernie C - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 17:24

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 17:24
I fail to see how the stupidity of anyone driving an unsafe vehicle relates to Queensland motor vehicle laws or regulations or how we do thing this side of the border, it's our state.
Like daylight saving, just because you have it don't tell us we have to have it as well. Queensland starts with a Q not an N.

NSW used to have some of the best roads and highways in Australia now it has some of the worst, no wonder you need a yearly inspection.
AnswerID: 474494

Reply By: Bernie C - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 17:27

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 17:27
I fail to see how the stupidity of anyone driving an unsafe vehicle relates to Queensland motor vehicle laws or regulations or how we do thing this side of the border, it's our state.
Like daylight saving, just because you have it don't tell us we have to have it as well. Queensland starts with a Q not an N.

NSW used to have some of the best roads and highways in Australia now it has some of the worst, no wonder you need a yearly inspection.
AnswerID: 474495

Sponsored Links