Wildflower Locations

Submitted: Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 02:59
ThreadID: 91039 Views:1355 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to gather some information on the best wildflower locations in Tasmania. I'm from Perth and have no knowledge of this region.

Regards

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:34

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:34
Hi Matt,

The first thing you need to know is that the SW corner of WA is one of the top places anywhere in the world for the abundance and variety of wildflowers. Tasmania is not like WA so you should not expect either the variety or abundance of wildflowers when you visit Tassie.

Having said that Tasmania has something that WA does not have, and that is alpine areas which have quite a rich flora that is unique to these higher altitude places. Summer is the main flowering season. So any of the alpine National Parks would be good. We haven't been there for a while but I recall that the Hartz Mountains and Mt Field National Parks had good displays. The cushion plants are fascinating.

Apart from that any of the lower altitude National Parks should give you good springtime displays of the types of sclerophyll forest and heath plants that occur along the east coast of Australia.

There is a lot of cool temperate rainforest and wet eucalypt forest in Tasmania where you will see different trees and shrubs - Huon Pine, King Billy pine, sassafras and giant eucalypts, leatherwood, giant treeferns, horizontal etc - not so much wildflowers but very interesting and often attractive plants nonetheless.

Hope that helps a bit. Here is a link to a site that might help.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474202

Follow Up By: Marshu Sensei - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 17:56

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 17:56
Thank you so much for such a thorough response Val, I really appreciate it! Great link too!
FollowupID: 749172

Sponsored Links