Travelling through Simmo April school hols?

G'Day, we attempted to do a simmo crossing in July 2010 but unfortunately the creek was still close.....we had a blast doing a loop and we all enjoyed the experience....but we still didn't get to experience the crossing to Birdsville etc. Thinking of having another attempt during the school hol period April this year......i have a few questions if anyone can answer? Any idea if its likely to be open at that time of year v history? would it be to hot still? Regards Kabo.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 09:10

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 09:10
Hi Kabo

At this stage there is no major flooding in Outback Queensland to cause the Eyre Creek to run, but it is still early in the season and anything can happen.

As for how hot?????

It might be cooler at this time of the year in most parts of Australia but April will still be in the 40's in the SIMPSON!!, not Simmo

The tracks will still be powder fine sand and many sections of the tracks will still be blown over, so expects lots of sand bogging, so be prepared with some good recovery gear and MaxTrax, plus extra water for the hot conditions.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474192

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:24

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:24
BOM had a flood warning on Georgina R just recently (within the last week or so), so there is some water making it's way downstream as we speak...
Probably not enough to be of concern at this stage, but the catchment is wet, and even moderate rainfall in the catchment now will get it "up & running" again...

Given that the monsoon season has barely started, I'd say it's not unreasonable to expect that there will be more to follow...

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 749138

Reply By: Steve63 - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 09:15

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 09:15
How long is a piece of string? That is basically a long range weather forecast. So for my guess; with La Nina still in place but weaker than last year we can expect a moderated version of last year. Will that close the Eyre? Who knows. It will depend on cyclones or othe major rain events and how many and when. If I was betting I would say there will be plenty of water around but that does not mean the Eyre Creek crossing will be closed. Last time I crossed it the water was over the top of the rims. The crossing was officially open. It made an interesting change from all the sand.

Steve
AnswerID: 474193

Follow Up By: Steve63 - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 09:37

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 09:37
April will be interesting. I have done an early crossing. We started from Mt Dare. Eyre Creek was closed so we travelled to the Corner and back. What we found was that everyone before us was doing small loops and coming back on the Rig road. That part was as normal. The closer we got to the corner the less traffic there had been. For the last 15km we had someone scouting out the track on foot because there was no indication of where it went. Cuttings the track usually went through were full of extremely soft sand. By soft I mean that if you stood on it you sank until the sand was over your runners. If you drove on it the vehicle sank straight to the body. There were no wheel tracks at all, it was all virgin sand with the odd sign here and there. The only way you knew you were still on track was if you found one of the markers. The sand was VERY soft and we met quite a few people who had turned around. When we got to the corner eventually (the last 20 km took 8 hours) the book only had four entries and two of those had come down Hay River. If you are going early, be patient and well prepared. You will likely do quite a few recoveries and the shovel will get a workout. We have splits on the ute and they were down to 12psi a few times. The crossing may take quite a bit longer that early. We went back on the Rig road and it still took five long days.

We did meet a group of 10 motor cycles coming the other way near the corner. Not sure how they got there in the first place! They were happy because they had some tracks to follow. They were all knackered when we saw them and had been navigating by GPS.

Steve
FollowupID: 749128

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:33

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:33
Kabo,
The point of our Road Conditions report is that you can view historical road closure status graphs that we have collected since June 2000.

This is a copy of the graph for the French Line...
To access these graphs Australiawide, simply go to the Treks menu at the top of the site, pull down to Check Road Conditions, select your state of interest, select a report (based on region) then on that page will be a long list of road names - click TOGGLE ALL beside the SECTION/ROAD NAME that you're after (in this case, Simpson Desert Reserves & Witjara National Park) and the report will expand to show all the detailed data - including these historical graphs. These graphs capture each time the road report has been listed as open/closed or caution so is very valuable for comparative data to plan your trip based on past conditions.
Best of luck with your trip.

Thanks, Michelle

Image Could Not Be Found
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 474200

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:33

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:33
Kabo, Firstly it is the Simpson Desert or The Simpson, not the "Simmo"!

Temperatures in April range from mid 30's to 40.

Eyre Creek crossing may or may not be open. It's a long way off and the Queensland rainfall remains to be seen.

But your real problem early in the season is the very soft sand and the track visibility. You would be pushing your luck!

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 474201

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:02

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:02
Simpson Derert Please
Not the Simmo

You dont call Melbourne, Melba
or Adelaide, Adel.

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 749134

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:26

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:26
Here we go another Poll idea
Simpson Desert for me too.
FollowupID: 749146

Reply By: bob smith 1 - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:44

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:44
Kabo feel free to call it the Simmo.
I reckon if it's open the authorities must think it's ok.
Would be hot as opposed to winter but depends on the individual.
BS
AnswerID: 474203

Follow Up By: Kabo - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:24

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:24
Many thanks for all the replies, some have been more than helpful.
For those I've upset regarding calling the "The Simpson Desert" the Simmo l do apologise........that wasn't intended, just a lazy shortcut. Where l grew up it has and was referred to as the Simmo through many age brackets. Again, sorry didn't mean to offend. Kabo
FollowupID: 749139

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:47

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:47
Actually, Simmo was a kid I went to school with. Charlie Simmons. Good batsman.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 749188

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:39

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:39
Kabo,
as everyone has said depends on the season.
my son and I crossed west to east in April 04 arriving Birdsville on Good friday(16/4/04)
we were one of the first few vehicles across that year. Temps that year were reasonably mild definitely not hot.
biggest problem was flies flies and more flies. we stopped made a feed and sat in the truck to eat they were that bad.
didnt stop at night until dusk to avoid them.
finding the track wasnt an issue but we were required to basicly bulldoze the tops off a lot of the dunes . winch opening in bullbar swallowed a lot of sand.
we were in an 80 series and only needed low range on about half a dozen dunes . mostly high second,
must admit at 3pm on the friday afternoon it did take us 3 goes to get up big red.

other crossings on months of july, august and september have been more enjoyable.

cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474210

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:57

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:57
funny hearing people complaining about "SIMMO"-call it that all ya like Kabo as long people understand you-maybe not if your on the radio calling for help though!.
Brisbane gets called Brizvegas by people who live there (why Im not sure) and there are plenty of variations of peoples names etc in the Australian vernacular ending in "o" "y" etc.

Kabo enjoy your Simmo trip in the Toyo Limo however it pans out! best wishes from Fisho :-)
AnswerID: 474211

Reply By: Fatso - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:06

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 13:06
I reckon we should embrace the new & throw out the old.
Who knows where we could end up with this dynamic new way of relating to locations.
Why should we not call the Simpson Desert "The Simmo".
In the next phase of evolution we could even call it "The Sim".
Then evolve to"The S"
Then that could degenerate to just plain old "S".
Christ we won't know where the hell someone is talking about before long.
Yeh I can just imagine the sharing of experiences when a bloke tells you he's been out to The B & AC was dry so they crossed The S.
Can't wait.
After all, what was once called "The Melbourne Cricket Ground" is now affectionately referred to in the media as "The G".
How long before the next tosser calls it "G".

"F"
AnswerID: 474212

Sponsored Links