UHF transmit problem

Before I send my GME 3420 unit back, would anybody have any tests I could do to try and solve a problem I have ?

Compared to 2 others in my group, the unit is struggling to transmit more than approx 600 or 700M.. have tested the aerial at the unit..4.5Meg ohms...replaced the whip with another one..so would assume the aerial is OK ?

Receives fine at approx 5Klms...just won't transmit ??

Thanks for any input !!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:06

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:06
Firstly, electrons and I are not on intimate terms, but ...........I had the very same issue with one of my UHF's a few years back - turned out I'd buggered up the antenna connection at some stage and cooked the radio's innards by trying to transmit without a proper 'radiating element' (antenna) available. There are warnings a plenty re this issue for the home installer - a costly lesson for me - the expert repair was not a lot cheaper than a new radio ($ ouch) - with luck, you might have another simpler, cheaper issue - fingers crossed.
AnswerID: 474403

Follow Up By: Steve M (SA - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:50

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:50
I agree with Darian - and I've done it twice.

The first time I just assumed I was unlucky but when it happened again I looked for the cause. Faulty antenna connection.

Fixed that and never had the problem again.

Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 749324

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:43

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:43
GME's are a good unit. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have some kind of "no load" (ie, no antenna) protection in the transmitter.

I have a Uniden. During a short stop and walk some light fingered little sods knocked off the antenna from the roof rack. I didn't notice it until some of my group said my TX was hopeless compared to before the stop. I was worried about damage to the radio, but after I screwed in a new antenna all was ok.

My aircraft radio tech travelling mate said most (and I suppose that is the key word - most) modern consumer tranceivers have no-load protection in the transmitter.

Good luck - I hope its a simple and cheap fix for you.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 749423

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:43

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:43
I agree with these 2 bought a vehicle with a UHF that could only transmit a few 00m and that was the issue
FollowupID: 749424

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:44

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:44
should say it didnt stuff the unit but when the connection was re done it worked correctly
FollowupID: 749425

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:20

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:20
Gronk,
bolt it into someone else's rig and try it. That will either eliminate the radio or condemn it.
I have had a cable that read fine on a multimeter but it was faulty. You will just have to eliminate one at a time.

I also have seen ground independent aerials that have failed due to moisture.

Have a good one,
RA.

AnswerID: 474404

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:44

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:44
Greg,
try another handpiece on yiour uhf set.
I had this problem with an old set years ago. could recieve ok but not get any range from transmission. must have been bodgey switch as new handset fixed problem.

cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474407

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 19:06

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 19:06
Howard, I will try that soon. ( if I can find someone with a compatible handpeice)

I have a spare aerial which I need to put an end on and try that as well..
FollowupID: 749325

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 20:48

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 20:48
Hi

ok did you fit the radio?

You are describing the normal result where the outer and inner aerial coax cable have touched and therefore a short. The most likely suspect will be the connection at the aerial end at the radio. I would suggest that you cut an inch or two from the radio end of the coax and attach the end again , remembering that the outer and inner coax should NEVER touch.

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 474415

Follow Up By: Gossy - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 09:23

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 09:23
Agree. Get a multi meter and put one side on the positive pin and the other on the outer (earth) on the antenna. there should not be any connection between the two. If there is the antenna will still work but poorly which is the description you have given.

I came across a brand new antenna that I had doing this. I realised one trip on the road that when a truckie was only 100m past me I couldn't talk. The shop wouldn't believe me until I pulled the multi meter on the counter :)

FollowupID: 749378

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:16

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:16
Sorry fellas, but if you read my post, I have already tested the aerial....4.5 Meg ohms between the wire and earth !!
FollowupID: 749420

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:46

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:46
id re do the connection any way

checking out the ohms is not how the comms guys check for that sort of thing. mine was picked up with a SWA metre
FollowupID: 749426

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 19:11

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 19:11
No probs....I will thoroughly check out the whole antenna wiring
FollowupID: 749447

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 21:00

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 21:00
You nead an SWR meter or even a reflectometer. Not a SWA one. A multimeter is not good enough.

Like I said below. Put everything back as it was and then take the car to a radio shop.

Just talking straight to you and not trying to be abusive but as an ex senior electronics and communications technician (diploma at RMIT plus 40 years as a tech) what you and some others are suggesting may possibly make things worse and cost you even more money.

Phil
FollowupID: 749455

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 21:35

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 21:35
Hi Gronk,

All the above are worthy checks, and in addition to the comments by Tezza I would add, make sure you leave enough cable flex at the aerial base to allow for any aerial movement.

If using a spring base for the aerial you need a reasonable amount. We experienced exactly what you have described a couple of years ago, and the cause of the problem was insufficient flex at the aerial base causing a problem in the cable.

I was told then that it is a lot easier (less power required) for the aerial/radio to recieve than transmit a single hence the difference between recieving and sending.

As you can guess I am no radio expert, just passing on our experience.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474420

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 19:37

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 19:37
Gronk, or whatever your name is.

Unless you have an SWR meter you will not be able to test the antenna and cable properly. I am afraid it's time to take the car, with radio installed and antenna mounted, to a radio shop and talk to them. It could be anything from cooked finals, to a bad antenna to a broken or just crimped antenna cable. Lots of things. Even bending a good cable too sharply will screw up the signal.

Stop mucking around as you could make it worse. Take the car with radio to a doctor.

Phil
AnswerID: 474510

Sponsored Links