Annexe

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 16:40
ThreadID: 91118 Views:1570 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys. We are about to order a new annexe for our small coromal van.
Not sure to go for vinyl or canvas.I guess they both have their good and not so good. What do ya reckon

Thanks Skeety
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 20:54

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 20:54
G'day Skeet. We have a Coromal Low Line, a 1988 model that we bought a few years ago. It came with a vinyl annexe which seems fine. Gets a lot of condensation inside which wipes away easy enough, and gets pretty hot when the weather is warm. Don't know which is heavier, but the vinyl is pretty weighty. It's probably easier to clean and keep clean than canvas. Hope you get a good one. Cheers.

Roger B...
AnswerID: 474516

Follow Up By: skeet - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:07

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:07
Thanks Roger. I was leaning towards vinyl
FollowupID: 749489

Reply By: barry22 - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 21:06

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 21:06
Hi Skeety
I have a Coromal Seka 475, and bought a full canvas annex, which I find is excellent, if a little bulky and heavy to carry. I can not see how I could possibly carry inside the van. Luckily I have a 4WD, and carry it in that. I also have made up a salon cloth section which I attach to the roller, and a second piece to one end. This is much easier to put up, gives some protection, and privacy. If you are on the move, it is often not worth putting up the full annex. I have often thought that I should have considered getting an annex made totally out of salon cloth. I have a friend who did this, and it seems to work very well. It is light, would pack up to a smaller size. I guess in the middle of winter it might not be so good. Like everything you do, it is all a compromise. i would suggest that you do consider the option of the individual sections that I have in salon cloth, as you will find these are very useful. You might even find that if you can do without the full canvas annex.
All the best, Barry
AnswerID: 474518

Follow Up By: skeet - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:13
The salon idea sounds like a good idea. I'll have to get the missus going on the
old singer sawing machine A

Ta Mate
FollowupID: 749492

Reply By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:19
Hi Skeet,

Perhaps I can give some advice as I am in the annex business (but not soliciting for work).
So I find the best thing is to ask:

1, what you want to achieve with the annex. Protection is the usual answer but from what? Rain, sun, thieves, neighbours in the caravan park, bugs or wind, security for children (maybe all of the above)

2, Are you going to go somewhere and stay say for a at least a week (school hlidays) or are you going to travel around and stay for just a few days in one place.

So if you are going to stay for a while certainly get an annex. You might have young children and the annex is somewhere for them to sleep. play in bad weather or just extra room for cooking anad living.

If you are travelling around then perhaps what one of the other guys mentioned could be better. Annexs are heavy and can be hard to put up ( they do not have to be if made correctly). For this reason many people have one and never use it. I come across this all the time.

You might prefer screens. These are generally, cheaper, lighter and easier to put up but do not offer the protection package of an annex. Shade cloth screens are however prone to shrink if dark colours, stretch and once creased will stay creased.

A new type of screen is coming on the market called PVC coated fiberglass. They are more expensive, heavier but do not stretch, crease or shrink. The also allow you to almost totally see through them but at the same time not see in. They still reduce light by 85%, the same as shade cloth. They are mosie and Migie proof as well. So if you are camping in the boonies they are excellent and what I have.

In getting an annex I would certainly go for canvas over PVC. Get an annex that is made to fit a Aussie Traveller anti flap kit. Do not get one that is not. Non Aussie travellers are so hard to set up and make your van harder to sell later. If you do not have the roll out awning yet get a Aussie traveller rather than a dometic as you can do more with them later and they are stronger in the wind.

AnswerID: 474537

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:23

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:23
Image Could Not Be Found

This is looking through a screen on my camper yesterday
FollowupID: 749480

Follow Up By: skeet - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:11

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:11
Thanks for the good advice Carl. One certainly needs to think it through before
spending the big bucks.
Cheers
FollowupID: 749491

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 13:04

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 13:04
Hi Skeet,

We went for a full annexe as it suited our purpose.
We have had both vinyl and canvas and prefer the canvas as I think it may breathe a little better.
When we had ours made we had two 1800 x 1200 screened windows put into the main wall so that it can double as a full blockout wall and double as a screen wall when we don't need the ends.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474558

Follow Up By: skeet - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:28

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:28
Thanks Rob.
FollowupID: 749611

Sponsored Links