New Camper Trailer

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 18:07
ThreadID: 91121 Views:2295 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I have just bought a new camper trailer, i need information on what i need to run fridge, phone chargers ipod dock lights etc.

I have 2 little kids and another one the way so need power of some sought to make it more kid friendly?

any advice will be helpful?
( it came with a small battery (24ah) which is pretty useless, a generator isn't out of the question but just looking to keep it self sufficient if possible)

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 18:30

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 18:30
Hi there Rumbo,

There is a considerable amount of information on the forum, but to get an overview of what you need to consider, start off with the excellent topic below. You can also select from a number of specific articles under this topic.
The topic can also be selected from the main menu at the top of the page. (eg Topics, Power & Electrics, etc.

Vehicle Electrics

In short, you need a reasonable sized battery such as a 100Ah AGM style, a means of charging it while driving from your vehicle alternator and preferably another means of charging while stationary, via solar panels (if away from a 240v supply), or a 240v/12vdc battery charger if at a powered camping site.

After reading the Vehicle Electrics topic, you may have more specific questions you may wish to ask. Feel free to do this at any time as there are a number of knowledgable folk on the forum.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474502

Reply By: Bernie C - Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 23:03

Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 23:03
I had an 100ah AGM deep cycle battery, 2x 80 watt solar panels, led lighting and a 110 litre Waeco and had no troubles with keeping up enough voltage to drive all. But did have another big esky with block ice for the kids drinks and my beer to take the load off the waeco.
The battery also was keep charged when driving by an anderson plug from a second battery from under the bonnet.
Running a gen a touchy subject in some locations even if I ended up buying one as a backup for the not so sunny days when the solar panels couldn't keep up, maybe larger sized panels would have helped.
AnswerID: 474528

Sponsored Links