1993 TOYOTA HILUX SURF SSR-X WIDE BODY OPINIONS SOUGHT

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 23:03
ThreadID: 91149 Views:4311 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I am considering buying a surf ssr-x diesel (3 litre?) and would welcome advice especially on what to look for in the way of faults. I am also wondering about fuel consumption. At this stage I am thinking a diesel, probably manual. All info appreciated. ie engine, fuel types, man or auto, ground clearance, how many k's are too many etc.

Thanks Kc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desray (WA - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 23:29

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 23:29
You don't say where you are? . Why are you looking at a 4WD almost 20 years old . It would have numerous faults by now. The surf was a grey import into Aus the odo was hardly ever accurate ( wound back overseas ) . It had overheating problems , not designed for Aus market. Not having a go at you but you could find a lot newer / better 4WD for a reasonable price.
AnswerID: 474622

Reply By: 4running - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:21

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:21
I believe the 3 litre is the same as the early prado motor. They are known to overheat as the radiators aren't designed for aussie conditions, and I would probably go the manual, as the auto gearbox had a few failings. a lot of the ones you see on the car websites have been rebuilt early on in their life( say around 150k plus), but i guess if you find one that has low kms and look after it with the oil changes etc then it will be a good car. Ground clearance is good, just like the aussie hiluxes and 4runners. I have had an early model surf(1987 2.4 turbo) and also a aussie diesel 4 runner..great cars both of them, never had a problem with either but the one thing that bothered me was the rear tailgate window..prone to failure and if it jams out in the bush and you have a cargo barrier installed then you cant get into the boot at all!
AnswerID: 474636

Sponsored Links