2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l diesel - critique please from owners

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 20:27
ThreadID: 91162 Views:5128 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Am researching cars to replace my Discovery 3 SE TDV6. The new Jeep with it's 3 litre diesel , air suspension,etc, seems to be good buying. I do not live near anywhere where I can visit dealers to see firsthand and test drive.
Looked at the Jeeps in 08 before I bought the Discovery new and the interior quality of the Jeeps was poor in my opinion but see they have improved immensely with the new designer on board and a good engine in the bay.
Does anybody have an idea of how the resale of these Jeeps might go ?
Can somebody who has purchased one of these give some feedback please on how it is going, including breakdowns, rattles/squeeks or electronic software stopping the vehicle progressing/lowering for pitiful reasons.
Not one eyed views, but proper critique if possible.
Please, no one eyed Discovery 4 owners either, still too many breakdowns for isolated solo desert travel in my experience.
Just looking for people with firsthand experience in this new Jeep. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Carl- Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 20:51
Not being critical of your decision to look at a Jeep. Where I live a Black Jeep Grand Cherokee is the single most popular car.(New Jersey) You however live where you " cannot drive to a dealer". I'm wondering what you will do for servicing?

Jeep is great in the city but in the boonies, I would have to ask why not a cruiser or a patrol?
AnswerID: 474687

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 21:43

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 21:43
I already do a 4400 km (2730 + miles) round trip for a service as the local dealer for LandRover is , well....., don't start me.
I incorporate some shopping down in the big smoke or a try to have a fish here and there along the way when I go. I like the drive.
Have not driven a Toyota (other than a LC200) for many years, did not like the 200 series myself. Nissan no good either for me as the service agent for Nissan is the same as the LandRover. I don't need the pain or problems.
Will have to look at the 70 series Toyota too but wondering, what did they do with the power from the V8 ?
Can somebody tell me, is the drive train not up to more horses as the 200 series has ?
FollowupID: 749657

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:06

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:06
One of the turbos is missing. The commercial utes/wagons would have a high attrition rate with the full power of a 200 and the suspension of a sulky. Typically toyota decision and one that I can see some merit in.
FollowupID: 749665

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:40

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:40
I have an earlier model diesel and have test driven the new model. It is a great car, the diesel is typical Euro (a Fiat I think), very quiet, powerful and fuel efficient. What I didn't like at all is where they have put the parking brake. It is foot operated down on the left of the brake pedal but higher up, in my case just in the right place to keep hitting my shin. If you have ever owned a Jeep Grand then you would know that left foot room for the driver is non existent and I was hoping for improvement in the new model. Also, it seems difficult if not possible to get the air suspension in the cheaper diesel models. There was quite a wait for the car when I enquired.
I have a Jeep and a Land Rover and get both serviced by my local guy. It doesn't void the warranty. Neither of them have let me down in a combined total of nearly 200,000 kms over the past 3 years. They have both taken me solo into very remote areas without incident. Cheers.
AnswerID: 474708

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:48

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:48
Thanks Mike, I am sick of the D3 lowering and computer cutting power at the most dangerous time. Recently did a lap of Oz and several times it happened while in the outside lane overtaking.
Have my own code reader, but I just cannot get my head around the software that does this for the most trivial fault that does not require the action it actually takes.
Shove the software writer in a Disco/RR in the middle of summer up North and get them to traverse the Deserts. Would have an excellent car after that.
When Dupont many years ago had problems of explosions in the explosive factories ,they shifted the managers and their families to live onsite. Problems were solved.
The software is the problem with the car.
FollowupID: 749795

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:12

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:12
I have heard of that happening if the sensor on the fuel tank has been knocked out of place usually by off road adventures :-). It sends a message to the engine that there isn't enough fuel left and the engine goes into limp mode. Perhaps the acceleration shifts the fuel to the rear of the tank leaving the sensor high and dry and bam, limp mode which requires a restart to fix.
FollowupID: 749840

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 09:41

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 09:41
Gooday,
Suggest you go on to caravanersforum and have a look there, a thread been running there for quite some weeks will give you plenty of information.
May take a while to read it all.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 474722

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:49

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:49
Thanks Boroma
FollowupID: 749796

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:35

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:35
Ditto.
A few are complaining about electrical and computer problems and the time it takes to get parts.
OJ
FollowupID: 749842

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 00:41

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 00:41
The only info I can pass on is that EuroNCAP and the US NHTSA awarded the 2011 Jeep GC a 4 star crash safety rating
FollowupID: 749918

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 17:13

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 17:13
www.ausjeepoffroad.com will give u all the info ,,,,
AnswerID: 474906

Sponsored Links