Silence

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 20:56
ThreadID: 91164 Views:1984 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Trying to resolve a problem with the generator. Have had no trouble in the past with the small 900w mitsubishi but now the cook wants to take better appliances as well as the van now being air conditioned we need a bigger generator. We have a 5kva as a house backup & this would suit very well but it is a noisy beast so the problem is how do I quieten it down. It is heavy 80+ kg so lifting off the truck is not an option. Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 22:11
G'day Bill

I've found that when I want peace and quiet in the bush it's best to leave the noisy beast at home ! She seems quite fine watching telly and having a cuppa with the other beasts in the district. Trouble is - if I come home a couple days later than I should have she turns from a 1kva into a 15 kva ( killer voice activated !

All the best

Gazz
AnswerID: 474697

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:53

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:53
G'day Bill,
I totally detest generators when camping but that aside I will give you some advice since you asked the question & we are all helpfull people here.

Unfortunatly it's not as simple as putting on a bigger muffler as would seem to be the solution. This may help a little but most of the noise you hear will be mechanical noise from inside the engine. When designing an engine a lot of thought needs to be put into the internal design to minimise mechanical noise but on the cheaper gennies the this is not the case.
The more expensive engines will have stiffening built into the block & will also put a lot of thought into reducing combustion noise.

So your only solution is to make up a soundproof enclosure but make sure the ventilation is good or you will "cook" the gennie or you could offload your current one & look for a quieter (more expensive) model.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 474705

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 19:24

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 19:24
bill
If you want silence i would use LPG ITS CHEAPER THAN A $3000. OO Genny
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474759

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:52

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:52
THanks for that, Will pick up a sound meter next time I'm in town & experiment with a double walled box to quieten the beast down. A replacement is not on as it is only used rarely when we have a power outage. I am just trying to make it do double duty. Bill
AnswerID: 474796

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 21:20

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 21:20
You could leave the cook at home :-)
AnswerID: 474923

Sponsored Links