road service

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 21:37
ThreadID: 91166 Views:3880 Replies:11 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
i have been a member of nrma road service for 40 years am now wondering if someone else provides better service for a car & caravan in regional and remote areas nrma now charges $ 150 to $170
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kimba10 - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 22:11
Problem is for sure if you dont find some one else and decide to stop paying it you know who will be there, Murphy for sure. We keep thinking of getting rid of it from both as vehicles due to the rising cost all the time but said to wife, the day you cancel it murphy's law will strike. We just got the insurance in for our prado, just on a grand now and noticed the excess had increased from last year an extra $50, ($650 now) will be ringing them tomorrow to find out why. Didnt bother to tell me just saw it there and no I have never had an at fault claim in 27 years so not impressed...............
AnswerID: 474696

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 23:05

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 23:05
Hi Stan

Don't you have to reside in the state the motoring organisation covers? I know you do with our RAC. When daughter went touring and working around Australia, and stayed in Cairns for a while, they refused cover as she was 'residing' out of the state and similarly when she returned to WA she had to change from RACQ to RAC of WA.

Meanwhile, you can compare prices on their websites which i have listed here:Motoring organisation websites

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474700

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 23:08

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 23:08
PS: While the dollar amount of extras may vary (when choosing the higher level covers), if you are rural or remote, you will get only the service the local agent can offer, regardless of which state your membership is in.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749658

Follow Up By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:25

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:25
Hi MH,

It depends on the level of membership I think. We have Premium care roadside assist (the top level) and when our vehicle broke down interstate (in WA) a few years ago, I contacted the NRMA and was told they would cover the cost of repatriating both car and van home if we wanted, or the cost of accommodation and replacement (hire) vehicle up to $3000 PA.

We didn't want to come home so NRMA paid the site costs for us for three weeks in the caravan park. The vehicle was still under warranty so Nissan covered the cost of replacement vehicle until we were back on the road.

I was very impressed as to their level of service, receiving a phone call to enquire as to our welfare the day after I first contacted them.

So now even though our Pajero came with the basic level of roadside assist, we have continues to pay for the NRMA cover because we tow the van and it gives us some comfort to know we will be looked after if necesary. Its not cheap but is worth every cent.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749661

Follow Up By: br218885 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:57

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:57
The service is as cheap as chips when you consider that they will organise everything for you. That includes accmd, shipping of van and vehice, if required, hire car ect. Iknow the cost is rising but so is theirs, and everybody elses.
FollowupID: 749664

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:20

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:20
Like any other insurance, I look it as just that; peace of mind that it is there should we ever need it. We do take out a premium level cover for the towing vehicle. We have never needed to use it so the insurance is working LOL. It can be a monetary decision - if you are happy to cover the costs of recovery (and roadside assist cover has its limits when well away from serviced town), you will most likely come out in front. I also like roadside assist on our vehicles as a safety factor for our children should they have a breakdown they can't handle when in the city.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749679

Follow Up By: Yanktigers - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 00:35

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 00:35
I am currently having a beef against the RAA in South Australia as there service is absolutely slack and as I type this I have written a letter to the general manager. But looking on the net I found a roadside service called 24/7 Roadside service based in Sydney but covering the whole of Australia I think and not knowing the prices of other motoring organisations they definitely cheaper than the RAA.
But what do you get for your money. The RAA take your money and do not give you any decent service and I been a member for 46 years.

Garry
FollowupID: 749743

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:01

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:01
Hullo Garry
What you have described is quite contrary to what I have experienced with the RAA.
We broke down just south of the Cooper ferry a couple of years ago. Through VKS737, the RAA at Copley came out with 2 vehicles, one to float the car back if necessary and the other to tow the CT if needed.
In fact they got the vehicle going by jury rigging the electrics (twice) and accompanied us back to Copley where they attended to the problem the next day. Accom paid for in Copley - everything fixed.
We had to contribute to the cost due to the distance and the CT, but this was minor cf what it would have cost us if we had had no RAA cover.
Cheers
Andrew
PS - we have premium cover - well worth it IMHO
And VKS were very good, keeping in touch at regular intervals to make sure all was well
FollowupID: 749759

Follow Up By: Yanktigers - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 01:55

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 01:55
I also have a premium membership but this does not make any difference. I am waiting on a reply from general manager. As far as I am concerned the premium membership is not worth the paper it is written on. It would be good if they honor what is written in there product disclosure booklet.

Garry
FollowupID: 749821

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:53

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:53
II gave up on motoring organisation break down insurance years ago, mostly because of a heavier vehicle that is not covered for towing (but they will still take your money). Waste of money. Read the fine print. When you need them most is when they don't help. Insurance companies are there to make a profit and this is insurance, but the total coverage value is trivial, unlike the value of the vehicle itself.
We still maintain a minimum basic cover for Margaret, so she might be driving the OKA if we need to use that.
I now have a nice kitty to use if we can't get ourselves mobile.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 474704

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:31

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:31
Hi Stan,
We've been a member of the NRMA for nearly 25 year, in that time we have needed them 4 times. Last year just before we headed off for a month towing our Swan we decided to upgrade to the Premium care., first big trip, first towing a camper.
Didn't have a problem doing this, the benefits far out weigh the cost, even if something didn't go wrong , just peace of mind of knowing that our vehicle, camper and family would all find it's way home safely was enough.
Last April, a mate broke down not far from the QLD boarder(Woodenbong) and the NRMA came from Murwillumbah, loaded his 4WD and towed his camper all the way back to Western Sydney. Everything taken care of.
Pretty cheap compared to $170.
I understand that dollars are tight at times and every penny counts, sometimes we have to make savings elsewhere. And we too always look to see what value we receive for the money we fork out.
As others have said, the moment you drop it, you'll need it.
It's the 50/50/90 rule.
When you have a 50/50 choice, 90% of the time it will be wrong.
Happy & safe travels Stan.

AnswerID: 474706

Reply By: Member - Josh- Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 08:00

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 08:00
We had RACV full cover when we did our trip and it saved us thousands. We had friends in Vic receive our mail so that meant we were residing in vic and just on holidays. They never questioned this at all. We got a hire car in SA for a week while our car had work done on it. In coffs harbour we had 3 weeks accom plus rental car for three weeks and a tow of about 80km for both car and trailer. In Cape Your we had a tow that would have cost us about $2500. All up I would say pretty cheap for what you get. I don't think any one else offers the same cover for the price. We always found the service from them excellent. Every time we called them, they organised everything. Friends of ours we at big red and her husband had a heart attack (and died). Racv flew her sister and husband up to be with her. They covered the flights and the flight home for her and her sister and paid for accom ect. for the husband to drive the car and van home. They also helped with getting the body home. Don't think it gets better than that.

Josh
AnswerID: 474710

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 09:18

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 09:18
I been a member of the N.R.M.A. for 47 years, and though I used them occasionally for things such as flat battery and rain shorting out the ignition (when these things happened), my calls upon them were infrequent.

But...travelled away from home my TD5 blew a transmission hose 70 km east of Wilcannia. I was towing my van.

The N.R.M.A. arranged accommodation for my wife and two grandkids at Wilcannia, and trucked the Landy and at the same time towed my van home.

This cost me nothing, just time, a thing I now have plenty of.

Even though my current vehicle is covered by Roadside Assist, I continue to fork out each year for the N.R.M.A. as if my van has a mechanical problem they'll sort things out.

Look, you could drive around for years and nothing happens, then one day Murphy strikes.
FollowupID: 749670

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 17:21

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 17:21
Hang needed them since buying the 80 but the %10discount for gold membership on insurance nearly pays for itself
AnswerID: 474750

Reply By: steved58 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 19:50

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 19:50
Have been a rac member for 25years great service once lost the alternater between Catherine and Darwin was checking the fuses when a ute pulled up and asked if I was a member he was the local agent didn't even have to ring him now thats service
Steve
AnswerID: 474761

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 20:42

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 20:42
You can't beat that can ya.

Josh
FollowupID: 749716

Reply By: Yanktigers - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 00:21

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 00:21
Give DGA Insurance brokers a ring on 1800800471 they would beat anyone on price. They specialize in 4WD insurance
AnswerID: 474777

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:49

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:49
One remote recovery & you will be laughing, anybody that goes Outback without it is crazy.
AnswerID: 474809

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:18

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:18
Crazy is right!! You can blow a hole in a brand new tyre worth $330 and render it useless on one trip so premium cover is looking really cheap. Some peoples alcohol bill is minimum $200 for a months trip. If you put into perspective, top cover road service is CHEAP! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 749760

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:26

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:26
Read the fine print , even Platinum cover with RACQ does not cover recovery costs if your on a non gazzetted rd out west.
AnswerID: 474812

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 15:54

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 15:54
On other forums there have been instances quoted of vans above a certain size being refused towing. Check the limits on vans that your organisation will tow. Last year the NRMA had a limit of 22' (which included the draw-bar and spare tyre.) Other organisations have similar limits for their premium care packages.

I have just renewed my NRMA membership and noted there is a major change. As we know there some severe limitations on the size of vans that all the motoring organisations place on towing as a result of road service. NRMA now has a new option.

Premium care covers towing of caravans up to 2 tonnes gross and 2.6 meters high. There is now a Premium Plus add on to Premium care that covers vans bigger than that (for an extra $122.) See http://www.mynrma.com.au/join/membership-types/renewal-add-ons/premium-plus.htm

Extract from there:

Bigger vehicles, bigger towing, bigger benefits

IIf you’ve ever been stranded with a broken-down caravan, motor home, or boat on a trailer, you know the inconvenience and expense of having a heavy vehicle towed out of trouble. With NRMA Premium Plus, you get the reassurance of total cover – plus alternative transport, a replacement vehicle, even accommodation if you need it.

Premium Plus provides access to up to $3,000 of major breakdown benefits.
Towing for heavy vehicles up to 10 tonnes GVM, plus secondary/towed vehicle.

Free towing for 50km in metro areas, 50km in country areas or back to attending CSC or 100km in remote areas.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474835

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 15:55

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 15:55
Link would not insert - try again

See this link
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member