June 2012 Excursion - Strzelecki to Arkaroola - Coober Pedy

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 22:28
ThreadID: 91167 Views:1756 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

We're planning an excursion from East Cost via Curranwinya NP to Strzelecki Track - Arkaroola - Coober Pedy - MacDonnel Ranges - Plenty Hwy - East Coast.

I am particularly interested in people's experiences from Hungerford Qld to Coober Pedy via Strzelecki Track & Arkaroola. The Strzelecki and Flinders Ranges is new to us.

The NT is already familiar country as is Qld to Hungerford and Plenty Hwy to East Coast.

Thanks for any feedback provided.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:31

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:31
Haven't been on it for several years, but we found the roads west of Bourke to Tibooburra then onto the Strezleki track quite good. We found the Strezleki track itself just one stop short of a twin lane Highway, a comment I see often repeated here except after heavy rains. The track down the eastern side of the Gammon Ranges into Arkaroola again we found to be good. Certainly didn't experience any corrugations or sandy sections. We were towing a camper trailer behind a Pajero.
Generally speaking apart from the sand hill "woopsies" west of Cameron's corner, just think of it as being like the Plenty Highway. Conditions as we all know can change, but the Gas Industry ensures the Strezleki track is in good shape.
AnswerID: 474707

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:52

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 07:52
Noel,

as stated, The Strez is a highway these days. It even has bitumen overtaking lanes in some locations. Weather is the only real thing affecting it. Presuming you'll duck down the back way through mount hopeless and into the Gammons or right down to Lyndhurst and in via Igawarta to the Gammons from the south. Either way is fine. Igawarta sees a bit more traffic but Mt Hopeless sees less maintenance so much of a muchness.

Don't go to the Gammons without taking the time to go down into the Flinders around Wilpena. Truly one of Australia's Jewels (The Pilbara of the south as some forumites describe it). Beaut country and some great camp sites on the Brachina Geology Trail and Bunyaroo Valley Road (Akraman is my favourite).

Presuming again that you'll head up the Oodnadatta to Marree William Creek and then out to Coober Pedy that way. Generally good conditions. A great alternative to camping at William Creek is in at the Anna Creek siding, about 8 km passed the Coober turn-off. It's only a km or two off the road and a great place to camp. One of my recent blogs of 2011 covers the area. MM me if the co-ordinates for the turnoff are of value to you.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474709

Follow Up By: escapesilv - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 15:30

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 15:30
Hi Mick O

The entrance via Mt Hopeless was closed in August, due to wash outs and very deep ruts.
I would check if it has been repaired and opened.

Cheers Robert
FollowupID: 749691

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 08:10

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 08:10
Hi Noel,

We did some of your proposed route last winter Our blog of the nrthern Flinders can be found here. generally we found the roads good. There are plenty of good campsites in the Flinders, and its such a beautiful place that its well worth taking some time to explore.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474712

Reply By: Noel W (Qld) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 21:46

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 21:46
A belated thanks to all for your replies.

Cheers - Noel
AnswerID: 477044

Sponsored Links