electric brake wiring

Hi all,

I have read heaps about this topic but still don't no what I should do.

What size wire should I use from the brakes on the trailer to the 7 pin flat pug?

What size wire should I use from the battery to the controller in the car? I was thinking 6mm.

What size wire should I use from the brake controller to the 7 pin flat plug on the back of the car?

What size wire goes from the brake controller to the brake peddle?

Any hep would be appreciated!!

Cheers Sean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:07

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:07
All 6 mm wire don't forget the 20 Amp auto resettable relay from the battery to the controler.

Also run the wire to the brake light! the brake pedal is to hard to get to if your old like me.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 474726

Reply By: Lex M - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 16:38

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 16:38
Recommend you also run a 6mm wire from the ground connection on the trailer plug to the battery negative terminal.

This ground circuit is now carrying the brake circuit return and the return current of the trailer lights. A good reliable earth return is necessary.
AnswerID: 474744

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 22:40

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 22:40
What is important to remember is that the supply to and the output from the brake controller are the heavy current wires.

The negative or earth retrun fron the trailer logicaly is also apart of the high current circuit.

the brake light connection and the earth for the controller are low current connections....and very little current flows in them....

The controller should come with recomended guages.

There is very rarely a problem with wire that is too heavy.

cheers
AnswerID: 474771

Reply By: Justahobby- Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 23:35

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 23:35
Hi all

Thankyou for your reply's.

So far what I have worked out is that the brakes on the trailer have 4mm wire coming out of them. Considering I'm only running 2 electric brake hubs on a single axle trailer I'm thinking I can run 4mm which is 15 amp rating. the 6mm is 35amp rating. I can see the point running 6mm wire for it to change to 4mm right at the brake. The other problem is that the 4mm doesn't fit into the plug on the trailer.

My current plan. Run 6mm from the battery to the controller. 6mm from the earth on the battery to the rear of the car. also run 6mm from the controller to the rear of the car. 4mm from the controller to the brake pedal.
How does that sound.

Cheers Sean
AnswerID: 474776

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 08:07

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 08:07
G'day Sean,

Thats pretty well how I wired mine up. Worked great for years.

I could lock up the trailer brakes even fully loaded so no voltage drop there. No need for a heavy wire from the brake actuator switch to controller as this is just for the controller to pick up the signal that the brakes are on.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 749826

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 04:45

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 04:45
Justahobby

I re-wired 50 AMP milti core wire from the controller, to the plug at the rear of the Patrol.
I then 30 Amp multi core wire, from the plug to the elactric brakes.

Do not ask me what size wire, I just used the theory that multi core wire has less current drop than single core or a few strands (?) wire

I then earthed both the returns (-ve) to the trailer, and then to the plug, and then I run a 50 amp multi core wire back to the earth of the main battery, that powers the controller.

It all works fine .

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 474875

Sponsored Links