K Mar rear bar paint?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:36
ThreadID: 91194 Views:1887 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day fellow travellers,

We have a kmar rear bar that needs to be rejuvenated.
What would you recommend I use for repainting the bar?
It's in good nick otherwise, but had been repainted before I bought the nissan and what they put on has faded and chipped off.

Thanks for any help
Regards Downtools....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 15:04

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 15:04
I would think it is powder coated and normally lasts about 7 or 8 years!! Powder coating is still the best protection as paint and 2 pac paint chip badly. If you choose powder coating, a place that powder coats will have the facility to strip and re coat.. probably cost around $300 to $400 depenind on the amount of work and parts. Michael.

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474833

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 15:07

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 15:07
Downtools
You will probably find that bar may have originally been powder powder coated,
and without knowing what it has been re-painted with, the seemingly easy job may all turn to s^*#@ on you.
Best bet would be to give it to a powder coat shop and give them the $ when they have finished.
The have to blast it clean to achieve a good finish and if you want it colour coded to suit your vehicle the price would still be the same. ( Normally )
May seem a costly way but the outcome will outweigh a couple of spray cans and a bit of sandpaper, for a 6 month patch job.
Hope this helps
Regards
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474834

Reply By: Member - Josh- Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 22:16

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 22:16
I have used white knight rust kill paint. Can't think of the exact name. It is paint with a rust inhibertor in it. It sticks to just about anything. Mitre 10/bunnings sell it. I painted the bullbar on the 80 series with it and also the fibre glass flares after patching them, along with the Kmar rear bar. It is hard wearing and as I said sticks to most surfaces. I sold the car after our 3 yr trip around OZ and it still looked good.

Josh
AnswerID: 474859

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 22:46

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 22:46
Get it done professional with a quality 2 pak paint, much better then powder coating.... people thing powder coating is superior to 2 pak.

I think this has come about by companies advertising there product is powder coated.... powder coating is cheap, covers up defects, is quick and can be applied by anyone with very little skill whereby 2 pak is expensive, takes longer to apply and has to be done by semi skilled people.

If it was so good why don't vehicle manufactures use it..... hell it's cheaper and quick.

2 pak has a superior bond if used with correct primer.

AnswerID: 474867

Sponsored Links