Campgrounds in Melbourne

Submitted: Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:54
ThreadID: 91197 Views:2327 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We will be attending a conference at the Melbourne convention centre in April. We will be camping with our camper trailer. Can someone recommend a camp ground with convenient access to the conference? We will want to be close to public transport operating during the day and late evening. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wato35 - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 13:28

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 13:28
Hi Berylvt

I have found a Big 4 park in the north west side of Melb.

Ashley Gardens BIG4
Holiday Village

It states that there is a bus service every 15 minutes into the city.

I have never stayed there, so I know nothing about it.
Just try a Google search on Melb caravan parks.

Cheers

Wato
AnswerID: 474822

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 14:27

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 14:27
While not familiar with the location of the convention centre, we stayed at Ashley Gardens CP for when we went to Tasmania; nice park with easy access to public transport to city and close to a ring road.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 749766

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 13:57

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 13:57
Beryl,

The convention centre is at South Wharf these days. By vehicle it is best accessed from the western side. By public Transport, You could alight at Southern Cross Station and walk down Spencer Street and then cut across through the World Trad Centre to the Yarra and across the footbridge. Walk time 10 minutes from the station.

Another Option is to drive into the city over the west-gate, getting off on Todd Road right at the base of the bridge on the city side. A 3 minute drive gets you into port Melbourne and you can park for free along the tram track in Evans Street (I’d recommend near Raglan Street near the Albion Hotel). Then catch the 109 tram at stop 127 to 126 and walk across to the convention centre (3 minutes).

As to parks, anything out west would suit your purpose so the Google search would help you there.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474824

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 14:20

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 14:20
We have stayed at the [ Melbourne BIG4 Holiday Park 265 Elizabeth Street Coburg North ] - very good standard of amenities - a 15 minute walk to a very frequently serviced city tram route. A bus services the park regularly throughout the day too. The other one we have used is the Wantirna CP - further out from the city - quite ok overall - on Mountain Highway - buses to the city and to regional shopping and trains nearby.
AnswerID: 474826

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 14:31

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 14:31
We have recently stayed at Ashley Gardens Big 4. We had a conference to go to also, so decided to take the bus in each day. The bus left outside the caravan park every 15 minutes and was a good ride in. I would be happy to stay there again, the standard of the park was good.

We were unable to drive in to the city as our vehicle was too tall for undercover car parks hence taking the bus. Get yourself an all day ticket and it works out pretty economical.

Another benefit of staying there is it is very close to the road out to Ballarat so if you're heading west as we were with our caravan, it was great to get out of the park on and then turn on to the highway with no stress.
AnswerID: 474828

Reply By: Member - Berylvt - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 14:58

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 14:58
Thanks everyone. That is just the kind of detail I needed. What a great forum this is - due completely to the willingness of participants to help each other!
AnswerID: 474831

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:58

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:58
My daughter and family stayed at the Elizabeth St Big 4 in Coburg last week and found it very acceptable she said she would highly recommend it.

Regards,

Mike.
AnswerID: 474854

Sponsored Links