Help with changing tyre size

Hi all,

Just considering putting some BFG ATR's on my Santa Fe SUV, however the standard size is 225/75R16.

However while in Jax (Cairns) i asked about the possibility of getting some wider tyres, for better traction performance when off-road.

I was told i could legally put on 235/70R16 on getting a thicker tyre, just slightly lower profile.

Has anyone else done this? or has anyone any advice on doing something like this? Cant find any QLD regulations about legality either..

Cheers guys :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilgadene - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:05

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:05
Hi DanziM,
Qld Legislation says you can go up to 15mm more or 26mm less in diameter from your standard tyre size. Going on the tyre size calculator on this forum (TOPICS - Tyres - Tyre Size calculator) the change you are considering reduces the diameter by about 8.5mm. Perhaps just changing your tyre pressures to suit the terrain may assist the performance just as much as going wider??.

Cheers
AnswerID: 475000

Reply By: Member - Carl- Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:21

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:21
Another thing to consider is changing tyre size may effect the vehicle computer. Sounds strange but this happens with Iveco. You can end up with lots of problem codes showing up. Might check this as well.
AnswerID: 475002

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:24

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:24
A change to 235/75/16 would increase the diameter by 15mm and be legal. I'm not sure if the tyres would rub anywhere though. Your speedo would probably be more accurate as they usually read slow on standard tyres. The odometer would start reading slower, in my experience a 15mm increase means that the 5km test areas on the freeway start reading as around 4.8kms. This also makes the fuel consumption computer read a slight increase in consumption. In short, it messes with your car computer due to the change in circumference if the tyre. Cheers
AnswerID: 475077

Sponsored Links