Flinders Ranges Fires

Hi all,

I’m heading to Adelaide this week and was hoping to see the Flinders Ranges up close and personal for a few days. Just wondering if anyone in the area knows if it’s accessible at the moment or if the fires have taken their toll on the area.

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mikee (Two Wells) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 17:36

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 17:36
The grass fires were around the Wilmington area so probably avoid going there. The temps this week are going to be mid 30's plus so it will be hot, dry and brown.
AnswerID: 474990

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:40

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:40
Matt the fires were a fair distance from the main so called Flinders Rangers...... bit like hearing there was a fire in Hobart and thinking it's all of Tasmania...... the fire was in the Souther Flinders Rangers

The Flinders is a very very large area and what every one refers to as the main part of the Flinders Rangers is a good 1.5 hour away...... the Flinders Rangers is over 400 kilometers in length from start to finish and the fire burnt mostly farming land not accessible to traveler.

If you heading up that way it sounds like you have done very little research of where your going.... I would suggest some research before heading off.

The fire destroyed less then .002% of the Flinders Rangers leaving on 99.998% un burnt.
AnswerID: 475006

Follow Up By: napalm_999 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 23:17

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 23:17
Thanks for the informative yet patronising response olcoolone. The reason I asked the question is because media sources don’t traditionally contain GPS coordinates of fires and all I knew was there were fires “down that way”. Next time I’ll be sure to post my precise trip and track details before asking for advice.
FollowupID: 749999

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 15:11

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 15:11
Matt the media here in SA reported where it was..... maybe interstate media reported as just the Flinders Rangers but if you look at a map you will see the Flinders is a large area.

All the reports I read on the fire stated where it was, what direction it was heading and threats.

Sorry for the patronising response but when you asked about the Flinders the way you worded it it was like is there anything left in the Flinders..... it came across that you know very little about the Flinders and it pays to research the area your travelling to.

FollowupID: 750037

Reply By: bob smith 1 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 21:50

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 21:50
Wilmington is very much located in the Flinders. However you will have no problems as the fire is well and truly out.
BS
AnswerID: 475026

Reply By: Squizzy - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 14:38

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 14:38
Matt,

Allow yourself around 5 hours from Adelaide to the Wilpena Pound region, and although it will be hot and dry, the colours in the ranges are magnificent at this time of the year.

We live 2 1/2 hours away and visit frequently, and I prefer the summer months in the Flinders, better photo opportunities.

My preference for bush camping is Rawnlsey Park, and don't forget to visit Arkaroola if you get the time.

Geoff

AnswerID: 475088

Follow Up By: napalm_999 - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:54

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:54
Thanks for the tips Geoff.

I hadn't planned to stay in Rawnsley Park but sounds attractive. I was, however, planning to visit Arkaroola. I can definitely appreciate what you're saying about the colours this time of year. Main reason we're heading out and putting up with the heat!

Might catch ya out there!

Matt
FollowupID: 750073

Reply By: Dolphin38 - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:45

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:45
I drove through Hancocks Pass after Wilmington heading for Port Augusta and home (Perth) on 10 Jan and it was all burnt out. Only two weeks earlier, when we went through heading for Brisbane, the area was full of vegetation, albeit somewhat dry.

Guy
AnswerID: 475152

Sponsored Links