Gibb River Road

Are there lots of things to see and do going the Gibb River Road way! My husband has had a massive heart attack and cannot walk very far. Do you have to walk everywhere to see the places along the Gibb. Anyone suggest a driving trip we could do that's a bit 4wd but not too rough. We have 3 months to travel. Was thinking of going across to Derby, we are from Innisfail in North Queensland. It will be a long drive.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 17:39

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 17:39
Chanel,

my first recommendation would be to buy a guide book to the Kimberley like the Ron Moon offering. It describes all the attractions in depth and will outline just how much effort is required in visiting each. Yes, many of the attractions will involve a moderate level of fitness and you will need to take this into account.

There are ample resources on this site in the articles and trek sections that again will provide detailed information on the attractions along the Gibb. Finally there are a large number of blogs that you should be able to search fairly discriminatingly where members have recounted their experiences in the Kimberley and on the Gibb.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474991

Follow Up By: Chanel B - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 17:42

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 17:42
Thanks for that, I will look out for that book.
FollowupID: 749963

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 17:55

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 17:55
Chanel,

I see it's linked as a shop item in your original post as is the EO article on the Gibb River Rd.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 749966

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 18:40

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 18:40
Hi Chanel, the Gibb River Road is a magnificent trip, the scenery is breathtaking, especially at the Northern section.
There are a few station stays along the way with easy access. Probably the least scenic is the Southern end, the last 150km or so.
However you can turn off and visit Winjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek, all easily accessible by car.
The only thing to keep in mind is the timing of your trip, i.e. after the wet season and check on road condition to see if the grader has been through yet.
The best time to see is as close after the wet season is finished when everything is still green and waterfalls still flowing.
Anyway good luck and safe travelling. Cheers
AnswerID: 474998

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 18:45

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 18:45
Chanel,

This may be a cynical outlook but if your husband's medical condition is precarious,

You are a long way from help,

The other drivers on the Gibb are maniacs and would give a healthy person a heart attack,

The road surface can be stressful on vehicle and driver,

It can be hot at the wrong time of the year,

If something goes wrong with your vehicle and you are driving alone, more stress,

Some of the sights do require walking.

Sorry to sound downbeat, but.......

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474999

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 09:51

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 09:51
Hi Chanel

Gone Bush is correct. (for once Ha). I was presented with an incurrable cancer diagnosis a few years back on the 23rd Dec. I am left very short of breath aven after drying myself after a shower. So we bought a car, had it modified by a good mechanic and am still running through my bucket list. The first trip was the Kimberleys. Six week of wonder with the most memorable part being a drive on all of the Karunji Track 360 degrees right round the awesome Cockburn Range.

I get a boost on a monthly basis which cheeses me off BUT on the other hand we are doing what we always wanted to do, albeit without anything strenuous. No walking from the camp area to the actual Mitchell falls. Instead we took a helicopter flight to and back. Couldn't walk through Tunnel Creek but went in a little way. It is a joint thing with my wife always by my side and sharing what ever has to be done. I saw heaps and even though I hate the saying "I DID THE GRR".

Along Gone Bushes safety tack:

Put a UHF radio in the car if not done already.

We purchased a satellite phone for emergency comms. We are with Vodaphone and for once their lousy country coverage actually helped getting the almost 50% subsidy from the Government. If you need more details you may email me at vk1dx@bigpond.net.au. Or you could get a HF radio. We travel alone but I would not recommend it to all. While I cannot do the mecjhanical stuff I am lucky that my wife isn't afraid of sticking a screwdrive in her hand and having a go. We spend a lot on making sure the car is 100% before we go anywhere.

Take it easy, respect the conditions and car's capabilities. Try to do a 4wd course to get a few safety and recovery skills and you should be fine.

Enjoy

Phil
FollowupID: 750013

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:06

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:06
My Gibb River Road Report

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750016

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:54

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:54
Good trip report. That was one thing I miss in the tropics. I am advised because of my short breath not to go swimming. I must admit though that I did slip into the water on one of our many inland treks from the ocean side cruise on MV Diversity II.

Ocean access only and was amazing place somewhere just to the east of Storr island at 15°56'12"S 124°33'49"E. Between the Horizontal Falls and Prince Regent River.

10 to 15Kms is a bit slow for the corrugations. But I gather the van was the limiting factor. We also got the windscreen chipped but by a bloke with a rough looking tinny and no mud flaps on the trailer. I do not have any time for fishermen of that type.

Phil
FollowupID: 750019

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 20:39

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 20:39
The links page on the [ Drysdale River Station ] site has various references to books and websites for that Gibb RR area - they may be of use in your planning.
AnswerID: 475015

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 20:59

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 20:59
I think it is fair to say that most of the gorges on the Gibb River road require quite a walk and climb to get to.
Galvans Gorge is about the shortest and that is a level 1Km walk .

Emma Gorge has a long walk and rock scramble,and even El Questro gorge is quite a walk.

I can recall my wife who is fit and well saying at last a gorge that doesn't make you earn it when walking in to Galvans.

Manning Gorge requires a long rough walk and a swim across the river which has some freshies.

Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 749981

Reply By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 20:56

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 20:56
Hi Chanel, you could also check out the following website, lots of info about the Kimberley area including the Gibb River Rd.

Kimberley area

All the best to your husband.

Regards John.
AnswerID: 475017

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 23:03

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 23:03
Hi Chanel B

Most places along the GRR do require walking - some quite long, stony and/or wading through fast flowing shallow water at the top of waterfalls. It is all beautiful, but maybe not the trip for your husband. There are opportunities for flights, helicopter tours and boat cruises in the Kimberley.

Where to go also depends on what you have already seen. Most places we have been to do involve walks and climbs. Have you thought about going south? Somewhere like Barrington Tops as part of the journey. We spent a full on day driving through and around forestry tracks in the north end of the park (Scone Road). There were some short walks, but also mighty views from the edges of the park without even leaving the car.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475036

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 23:13

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 23:13
Have to agree with Gone Bush and Motherhen. Probably not a trip for your hubbie if he is unwell.

We were in Derby in May 2010 waiting for the Gibb River Road to open. The heat was oppressive and even the locals were hiding in the aircon.

Maybe follow the coast down and do the wildflower season. Good luck.
AnswerID: 475038

Reply By: Chanel B - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:01

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:01
Thank you to all who answered some questions for me, my husband had his heart attack 4 years ago now and is on lots of medication, but hasn't had a problem since. When his heart attack happened we were in the middle of no where of course. I think we will just give it a go, you only live once hey! And he has got his second chance.
AnswerID: 475059

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:51

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:51
Adcock gorge towards the western end is about the only gorge without a decent walk. Glavins is 1 km and flat and easy. Manning and Barnetts Gorges bother require a fair walk but are also pleasant stops at the beginning before you start walking.

Beware the king River crossing on the track to Mitchell Falls may be running quite fast and deep depending on the wet. The last thing you need is to get bogges.Kalumburu is interesting old Catholic Mission lots of history there and a good shop. We also loved McGowans Island camp on the coast a bit further on.

There there is Home Valley and El Questro and Emma Gorge - very nice but very 'touristy'. The Chamberlain River campsite at El Questo are nice and reasonabley secluded - and visit the hot springs there.... lovely and only a very short walk

John
AnswerID: 475071

Sponsored Links