troopy engine and gearbox change

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:25
ThreadID: 91247 Views:6098 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to change 1HZ and RI51F in my 1999 troopy to 1HDFT/H151F. ANYONE DONE SIMILAR and are there any pittfalls
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:58

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:58
Have a read of this thread, it's the same conversion done to a 105 Series.

1HD-FTE into 105 Series
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 475108

Reply By: Gnomey - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:27

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:27
G'day Ian
Can't comment on the engine change - other than "lucky you".

I have a 1HZ Troopy which now has a turbo gearbox/transfer case. The drama of this conversion can be read on Lcool here

It's been a while but I think the H150 rather than the H151 might be the one you are after. From memory the shift levers on the 150 are closer to the position of the originals. Mine are only slightly forward. You will need the floorplate from the donor vehicle as well.

Pitfalls? Biggest one is believing anyone who says conversions are a "bolt up" to your truck. :)

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 475115

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:30

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:30
On the 80 series it is a straight swap as all wiring is already there. Not sure about 70 series
Exhaust engine pipe has to be changed.
R151 Gearbox. If length of gearbox, position of transfer case and mounting are the same as H151 then original mountings and tail shafts should be ok.

I had no problem swapping the engine and transmission in my 80series.

Good Luck
Wayne B
AnswerID: 475131

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:47

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:47
Hi Ian,

I am in the process of doing just such a conversion to my 1HZ 75 series.
The engine I am using is from a '97 model 80 series and the gearbox from a '03 79 series. I have the flywheel and clutch from the doner 79 because as you may know the clutch is about 1" larger in diameter, although the existing flywheel can be machined to suit. I am using a new clutch and pressure plate just to be sure. Just make sure you get the right spline for the H151F input shaft.
Because the 1HDFT has no more electronics than the 1HZ the wiring appears to need very little modification. I do have the engine wiring harness from the 80.
As you probably know the starting glow system is different on the 2 engines but everyone I have spoken to says the intake heater on the 1HD-FT is not needed unless you are in extremely cold climates. This does not usually happen here in good 'ol WA....lol..I am going to leave it disconnected and see how it goes, if no dramas I will remove the heater element altogether.
I have the cross member from the 80 that supports the g/box so minor changes may be necessary if I need to use it.
Not sure about the R151 but to swap from a H55F to the H151F the tailshaft length needs changing.
The radiator will get rodded to make sure it is in good condition and the aircon condenser will be repositioned so that the radiator is getting the coolest airflow possible.
As others have said fitting an engine into an engine bay that was not originally designed for it is always going to present a few (or many) challenges depending on the engine in question. The inquiries I made before purchasing anything tell me this conversion is not rocket science if you have some reasonable mechanical nous.
If you have a look on lcool a lot of good info is there, you need to join but it is free.

Anyway good luck with your conversion

Cheers
Pop

AnswerID: 475153

Follow Up By: IAN B8 - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 21:43

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 21:43
tHANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS progress has been slow due to floods here at Moree. I purchased a 1995 HDJ80 multi valve and tookout the motor and gearbox as a unit took it to the Diesel shop and checked pump and injectors,all good . the compresser wheel on the turbo has had something fall into it[ bleep ] so had to replace. Just picked it up and this weekend will pull the 1hz and r151 out of the Troopy and line then up on the floor and see how different the gearboxes are,hopefully not much. Have bought a used transfer box partime 4x4 out of 79 ute so front drive shaft will need to be longer ,no centre diff , but maybe the troopy one will fit?I will keep you posted on the progress cheers Ian
FollowupID: 753232

Follow Up By: IAN B8 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:20

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 18:20
Hi all.
Well we fitted the engine and trany into the troopy with little problems. Most of the wiring loom was the same as long as we used the one off the old gearbox and some of the switches for the 4x4 lights and reverse lights , the plugs are different. there is one plug off the old loom that connects to the top radiator pipe on the engine that the 1HD FT does not have , what its for I dont know because the temp gauge works . The drive shafts were fine , but the rear engine, gearbox mount needs to be changed to one off 78 series turbo one,has to be offset to the passengers side by about 2 inches, we spot welded it in the right place until the new one turns up. There is a pipe and hose off the vacum pump on the 1hz that is not on the 1hdft so ran a hose from pump over the motor to the pipe behind alt. The gear box levers . The transfer case you need the one that bolts on to the side of the h151 and bend it a little using oxy to make it clear the body and the boot will bolt back on to the original holes after cutting off the main gear box boot. Main gear lever is abit tricky my new box the shift hole is about 4 inches forward of the old r151f box so had to cut floor out to fit and weld in piece to cover old hole in floor not to much trouble but spent ages making the new boot and floor vinil look tidy. START UP connected up all batterys and turned ignition on and smoke went up, burnt a fuseable link to the battery chased it down to the glow plug wiring dont know why yet maybe glow plugs are wired differently to the inline one in the turbo pipe. After that it started and drove out the shed no exhaust but have order 3 inch with new dump pipe to bolt up to turbo. will let you know how it goes after exhaust and off to the dymo man to tweek up the fuel pump cheers Ian
FollowupID: 755349

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:56

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:56
Ian,
If you have not done so I would join LCOOL as there are many people there who have done conversions and as it is dedicated to Landcruisers you will benefit from the wealth of knowledge.

LCOOL

cheers
AnswerID: 475174

Sponsored Links