Battery Wont hold Charge

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 20:28
ThreadID: 91251 Views:16311 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All. I have a Supreme 115amp Deep Cycle battery that has been working great. Used it camping over New Years where the weather in Adelaide was over 40 Degrees for a few days in a row and the Battery kept the Waeco fridge running perfectly in the sun with no problems. After two days I Noticed the Battery voltage just going below 11.5v before a drive got the voltage back up but the battery has now started to struggle.

Now back from camping and driving to and from work each day I can see the battery is getting 13.5v from the alternator and with the car off for an hour or so it is showing about 12.4v. When I go to work in the morning it is sometimes down to under 11.9 volts without any devices being used. So appears not to charging up fully or not holding the charge.

I have read a few comments that sometimes a battery charger is needed to bring a battery back to life (perhaps I ran it too flat). Has anyone had any luck with this? Would the cheapo charger do it or do i need an expensive maintenance type one?

Alternatively the battery just carked it in the heat or I ran it down too low and I need to get a new one. It was exactly 2 years old :-(

Thanks in advance
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:23

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:23
Milkieboy,

13.5 volts won't charge it - you'd be lucky to get 75% to 80% charge into it at that voltage. It looks like it's charged, but it's not.

If that's what it's been getting for some time it may well be sulphated and permanently damaged. Sulphation reduces capacity and eventually kills a battery. On the other hand, if it's been like you say for only a week or so it may be recoverable, but will probably never be as good as new.

It needs about 14.2 to 14.4 volts to fully charge. Try a mains powered smart charger to see if you can recover it. I would run a desulphation cycle as well, if that is available.

Long term fix if you're relying on your vehicle's alternator to charge it fully is a DC-DC smart charger.

Good luck

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475129

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:41

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:41
The battery may be "sulfated".
The best thing to do is to charge it with a 240VAC smart charger which checks for sulfation of the internal plates. If detected the charger may perform a pulse charge on the battery to recondition the battery.

A battery can be buggered in a short time if discharged too deeply, too often, to the point where it may not recover.

The Waeco fridge has a built-in low voltage cutout facility so hopefully the battery is still recoverable, just not though the vehicle alternator.
I would also get the alternator checked for correct operation as 13.5v is not enough.
You should be getting about 14.2v across the battery teminals with the engine running.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 475134

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:53

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:53
Bill,

He doesn't say what vehicle he has, but many late model vehicle charging systems output is as low as 13.2 volts. eg my 2007 Prado, 200 Series LC, and others.

The old standard of 14.2 is not applicable in all cases, so his alternator may well be quite ok.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750080

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 07:10

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 07:10
Hi Frank,

I accept what you're saying but if that is the case Toyota is putting alternators into their expensive 4WD's with inferior output.
Many folk would buy say a Landcruiser to tow their big rig, but also want to charge the batteries in the van while travelling. They wouldn't know the standard alternator is not up to the task.

The only solution in these cases is to upgrade the alternator to one that does the job and/or install a dc-dc charger to boost the voltage input into the auxiliary/remote batteries.

Anyone who understands DC charging principals knows that 13.2v is not enough. (even for a starting battery in my opinion)
Why then is a manufacturer like Toyota putting inferior products into their vehicles?
This would not be saving any costs on production, so the logic escapes me.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 750100

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 09:40

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 09:40
G'day Bill,

It's not just Toyota. I know the ones I quoted for a fact, and I also know other brands do it too, but not specifically which ones so I didn't name them. If you are interested you could check any of the Japanese brands and probably the Koreans.

Upgrading the alternator won't fix it, as it's all done in the EMS computer. You CAN do a cheat with a diode to increase the voltage, but personally I am hesitant to undo engineering that's been designed by people much smarter than me. I prefer the DC-DC smart charger route.

I don't think vehicle manufacturer's design engineers lack knowledge of DC charging principles, so it's not an oversight nor a deliberate attempt to install inferior products. I believe it's done in an effort to shave load off the engine and therefore reduce fuel consumption, no matter how small the margin.

(For the same reason, electric power steering is becoming more common, particularly in vehicles from Europe where fuel consumption is a priority. This is because electric PS systems only load the engine (via the electrical system) when there is a steering input, whereas hydraulic ones load the engine all the time, with constant excess pressure in the system being bled off through a relief valve.)

This charging issue has become so common in new vehicles that we should all be aware of it now. To its great shame, the automotive electrical service industry does not seem to be sufficiently aware of it. Witness the number of problems people have, and reported here and in other forums, with second battery systems installed by supposedly trained auto sparkies.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750117

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 21:42

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 21:42
Quote "This charging issue has become so common in new vehicles that we should all be aware of it now. To its great shame, the automotive electrical service industry does not seem to be sufficiently aware of it. Witness the number of problems people have, and reported here and in other forums, with second battery systems installed by supposedly trained auto sparkies."

The only thing new about this is that with the newer batteries the designers have reduced the hot/running voltages. From way back alternators and generators have had temperature compensation built into their regulators.

The earliest I can recount is my 1940 Austin 8. The instructions in the workshop manual gave different output voltages for different regulator temperatures. The higher the temperature the lower the voltage. The only one of my vehicles that did not have temperature compensation was the Nissan E20, the replacement non genuine replacement regulator did not have it, just as well that the battery was not in the engine compartment but way down the back.

Have a look and see what your alternator does. Just use an old cigarette lighter plug and connect it to your multimeter. Connect it to an unused outlet. Turn it on before you start your motor and you can see what is going on. When I start my motor the voltage will go to 14.5 V (or higher, depending on the ambient temperature.) As the motor warms up you can see the voltage drop. By half an hour the alternator will have reached its running temperature and voltage, generally 13.5 - 13.8 V

A lot of auto electricians will deny the existence of temperature.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750194

Reply By: milkieboy - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:21

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:21
Hi All...Thanks for the replies. Was wondering if my Alternator was on the blink as the other night I switched on the Lightforce lights and noticed a huge voltage drop, from memory it was below 13v while driving.

I should have mentioned it is an FJ62 Petrol. I found my old cheapo charger in the shed so will leave it on for a while then test it with the fridge.

So the FJ62 alternator needs to be putting out over 14v to be consider working properly. Would this be at idle?

Ian
AnswerID: 475140

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:12

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:12
Ian,

Your cheapo charger could bust an otherwise recoverable battery.

Try to borrow a smart charger.

Over 14V at idle? - I think maybe on fast idle with a hand throttle if you have one, or a stick between seat and accelerator and set it at about 1100-1200rpm.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750087

Follow Up By: Honky - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:20
my 4WD my company car is a Commodore sportwagon.
Going by the readout on the gauges on the dash it has shown up to 15 v but normally it can sit on 14.8 volt nor worries even at idle.
This was checked by the RACQ when the kids flatten the battery running the laptop of the on rear socket and is very accurate.
It does have a calcium battery and they are in the back so a higher voltage may be to compensate for voltage drop over that distance.
when I tow the camper with the wagon I would assume there would be no problem charging the camper batteries to 100% charge.

Honky
FollowupID: 750126

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:37

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:37
OK. lets evict a few red herirngs here

Firstly the basic design life span of lead acid batteries is arround 2 years....with some fiddling from the manufacturer, treating the battery well and some good luck you may do much better...treat a battery badly and ya wont get 12 months...do something silly and you can wreck a battery in a weekend

Now this "ya cant charge a battery fully off a car alternator", in my opinion is badly overstated verging on bull bleep .
Batteries with calcium in the plates do have some issues....the optimum charging voltage may be higher and under certain circumstances, there is a thing called "calcium charge resistance".
Under certain circumstances, such as over discharge, voltage above "normal" charging voltage may be required to overcome this charge resistance.
but to claim that you can not fully charge any given lead acid battery, with a car alternator is over stating the issue.

Now to the problem at hand.
we have a two year old battery that is not holding charge.
Is it buggered....quite possibly...can it be saved......perhaps, but don't be surprised if it cant.

Now as to why its crook.

if you have been deep cycling the battery, there is a limit to how much of that it will cope with regardless of the type or brand.

now to a reality that is commonly ignored..........no matter how big , or fancy the charger, lead acid batteries do not charge instantly or for that matter quicly

if you have deeply discharged a battery, it may take 4 to 6 hours to get it back to a point even appropaching "full charged", how ever you define that.

so if you have been giving your battery a hammering and then only running the engine for a couple of hours you definitely wont be "fully charging it"........nothing like it.....so the battery is getting further and further behind day after day
No funky DC to DC charger will change that.

so often all sorts of things get blamed for battery ills, BUT , most often the reason for the battery not being "fully charged" is simply a failure to allow sufficient charging TIME.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 475151

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:04

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:04
Bantam,

"but to claim that you can not fully charge any given lead acid battery, with a car alternator is over stating the issue."

I just re-read the whole topic, and no-one said that. You're throwing in a red herring.

Leaving aside calcium batteries for the moment because they are a special case, if a car charging system puts out the required 14.2 to 14.4 volts and delivers that to the battery wherever it is (under the bonnet, in the camper) UNDER LOAD, then the battery will get charged.

The physics and chemistry of lead-acid battery charging determines that you cannot fully charge a lead-acid battery with an applied voltage of 13.5, let alone the increasingly lower outputs from late model vehicles.

And it's the voltage AT THE BATTERY under load that counts. Even if you have a charging system delivering 14.4 volts, if the battery is well down it may be asking for 30 amps or more. If the wiring is inadequate (and it so often is, especially in a long run from isolator to camper battery), the voltage AT THE BATTERY can be too low to to properly charge it.

Physics, chemistry, Ohm's Law - it is simple, undeniable fact. Not bull bleep , not even verging on it.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750120

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:18

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:18
"13.5 volts won't charge it - you'd be lucky to get 75% to 80% charge into it at that voltage. It looks like it's charged, but it's not. "

And if that isn't over stating the situation I don't know what is.

As for the physics and chemistry, lets concentrate on the simple basics before we diagnose some sort of complicated sysdrome.

The calcium charge resistance aside'
You most certainly WILL "Fully Charge" most lead acid batteries with 13.5 volts, but it will take some time.

It is very common and usual practice to float charge lead acid batteries at 13.8 volts indefinitely, let me assure you, you WILL "fully charge" a battery including a calcium battery from constant 13.8 volts ( calcium charge resistance aside)...but it will take some time.

The only people I have see pushing this whole "wont charge" malarky are certain battery charger manufacturers.

I have seen none of it in battery manufacturer documentation..and I have read large volumes of that over the years.

There is the calcium charge resistance issue though..extra voltage may be required to overcome that.
AND
extra voltage may be benificial.

As for the replacement alternator not solving the problem...I have receltly replaced the alternator in my hilux....there is suposed to be some amount of ECU interaction with the alternator..how much good question.
The original nominal regulator set point was 13.8 volts, the replacement alternator nominal regulator set point is 14.5 volts...I can assure you that the actual charging voltage measured has increased.

Because the majority of newer cars are comming with sealed maintenance free batteries...that contain calcium in the plates and have altered electrolite.
The higher voltage is better tolerated with newer batteries , old style screw top wet cell batteries would boil away their electrolite very quickly at 14.5 volts.

Now to the matter of voltage drop in charging cables.....unless the cables are rediculoulsy small, all the voltage drop will do, is slow the charging rate in the earlier parts of the charge cycle, and the battery nears a significant state of charge the current will drop and the voltage drop with it.

Unless of course there remains a heavy load on the end of that cable in addition to the battery being charged....again yet another seperate issue

Lets measure the charge voltage at the battery before we dis someones wiring.

Yes there may be all sorts of complicated things to discuss about batteries, but in my experience by far the most common reasons for battery failure and disapointment are in the simple basics.

Most commonly, over draining batteries, and failing to allow sufficient TIME to recharge them.

I've been dealing with batteries, for both work and play now for arround 30 years
Arround my shed at the moment there are probaly arround a dozen batteries in regular use, differing ages, types and sizes.

I regugarly service portable PA systems that have multi stage chargers built in.....but the customers can still kill a battery very quickly by continuously deep cycling the batteries and failing to allow sufficient TIME to recharge

Then of course, there is the question of "what is fully charged", It occurs to me that some people are trying to move the goal posts there.

It occurs to me that what some people are now calling "fully charged" most of us with traditional training would consider in the early stages of over charge.

The bottom line is and I see this over and over again, people fail to understand how much TIME is required to charge a lead acid battery properly.

Yes it does come back to MATHS, physics and chemistry... ( people forget or fail to understand the maths with batteries)....and all those factors limit how fast a battery can be charged....it comes down to TIME.

NOW
I have an alternator capable of delivering well over 80 amps, I have nearly new batteries in my 4wd, and a nearly new alternator, I have short very heavy wiring ( sufficient to winch off) to my second battery.

With my battery deeply discharged 11.5v, my fridges have shut down.
The best I have seen is a 40 amp charging current, this drops away very quicly to 15 amps or less. Measured with a very accurate little DC clamp meter.
As the battery charges that current continues to drop into single figures over the first hour or so.

Do the maths, how long is it going to take to fill a 120 AH battery with a progressivly reducing charge rate, and don't forget to factor losses.

remember too heat effects everything about lead acid batteries dramaticaly, including charging efficiency.

Lets stick with the simple basics, cycle as shallow as you possibly can and allow sufficient TIME to recharge the battery.
If you don't pay attention to those two things, no technology will help you.

cheers
FollowupID: 750149

Reply By: LeighW - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 07:47

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 07:47
Totally agree with Bantam,

A battery will fully charge with any voltage that is great enough to overcome its internal losses eventually ie 13.5V and lower.

A higher voltage will just charge it quicker.

As for new vehicles and low charge voltages there are other low cost options to raise the charge voltage and reduce the charge time if required without the need for expensive DC DC chargers.

Getting back to the original post, you indicated the system worked fine initially but then the problem developed, you also wrote that the charge voltage decreases markedly when you turn on the lights. It would therefore be safe to assume you have a problem with your Alternator or its regulator that needs to be looked at.

If it has been faulty for awhile then then battery may be damaged also.

you may have damaged

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475168

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:27

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:27
Bit surprised this wasn't mentioned. A deep cycle battery discharges slowly and also recharges slowly. So to recharge takes time.

Also have to agree that if the lights came on and the voltage dropped a lot, then I would be checking the regulator.

shane c5
FollowupID: 750127

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 15:15

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 15:15
OH yess , this is one thing very commonly disregarded.

Some of the deep cycle batteries, particularly some deep cycle AGM have very low maximum initial charge rtaes.

One popular 120 AH deep cycle AGM has a maximum initial charge rate of 20 amps.....so half cycled it will take at least 6 hours to charge at the nominated rate even if you could keep the charge rate up with some sort of DC to DC buggery box.......which you wont for the entire cycle...so 8 to 10 hours is more likley the safe half cycle depth recharge time.

If you want to rappidly recharge a battery, deep cycle may not do the job..well not for long anyway.

Seems to me people want to maintain a "fuel tank View" of batteries, wishing that they could be rapidly filled and emptied, when the reality is they are a slow acting thing and they need to have a long term view.

The slower you discharge a lead acid battery and the shallower you cycle it the more efficient it will be and the longer it will last.

and it must be understood that its generally recognised that the most efficient charge rate is arround the 10 hour rate, 1/10 of the AH capacity.
And that would take a half charge battery arround 8 to 10 hours maybe 12 to "fully charge".

cheers

FollowupID: 750152

Reply By: darter - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:28

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:28
Just looking at getting back into camping after many years away from it,and at present buying a 12 volt DC fridge and 120 amp Deep Cycle battery and 120 watt solar panels.

I plan not to have second battery hooked into vehicle,as its on the way out.

I have this item at home for other hobbies-its very expensive at $400

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3087&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=999#12

I am told I can use it to charge batteries,I can dial any voltage ,so if I dial it up to 14.5 volts,I could charge my battery right up?if I could not use solar panel.

Looking after Batteries is a very important thing to do,as stated a valuable battery can be stuffed over one weekend,I am keen to get it right,and if this jaycar power supply unit can be used,that would be great.Really do not want to buy a expensive battery charge/conditioner unit,if I can do most of that with this Jaycar unit.

any thoughts,most appreciated(sorry to be a little OT)

cheers Chris
AnswerID: 475190

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:31
I've been charging batteries off variable regulated supplies for years, but let me tell you a good multistage charger is a better thing.

If you run a high continuous charge voltage, you may have issues with overcharging depending on the battery..better to stick with a lower voltage and a little more TIME.

A multistage charger will make charge stick better and quicker that any constant voltage charger

I have a couple of the Benton units from jaycar/electus....they are great things but have one problem and that is the membrane switch that changes the functions....I have replaced the switch in both of mine..that no problem for me but for the average bloke it would be a bugger.......

cheers
FollowupID: 750151

Follow Up By: darter - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 15:42

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 15:42
Ok,thanks Bantam.I have heard of them,they cost around $250 ish dollars?

They sound like they do more things to condition battery,and make charge 'stick' better.Will have to look into getting one.Feel free to advise or post links on any you feel are suitable.Thanks.
FollowupID: 750154

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 17:09

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 17:09
Oh hell if you want to spend $250 on a basic multistage charger...come arround to my place, I'll sort you out..and I've got a special on harbour bridges too.

You can get into a basic generic multi stage charger for arround the $50-60

step up into something half decent in a 3.5 amp unit for arround the $90

7 amps for arround $150..and a fairly respectable generic 15 amp unit for under the $200.

You can spend more on fancy brand names, but a decent generic multi-stage charger is better than an old type battery boiler.

Check out Jaycar, Altronics, the boating discounters or even Supercheap

the place is lousy with em.

cheers
FollowupID: 750167

Reply By: milkieboy - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:59

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:59
Thank you all for your advice. Just an update. I put the battery on charge with my cheap battery charger for 24 hours, I was unable to get hold of a more expensive charger as people recommended. I have since plugged in the fridge only and it has been going for 15 hours @ around 1 degree with 8 litres of water bottles in it (waeco 50ltr) The battery is at about 12v. It was a warm night in Adelaide and is going to be 30 today so should be interesting to see if it is still going when i get home from work.

I did some more testing of the charging system in my car and with the LightForce lights on it drops almost 2v. I have booked it into the auto-electrician this Friday but over the phone he suggested it may have lost a phase to see such voltage drop.

I will update this thread after it get it back Friday so other people who stumble over it may find it helpful

Ian
AnswerID: 475277

Reply By: milkieboy - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 17:36

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 17:36
Car fixed today. Problem was a fault with the cable from the alternator to the Battery. There was also a drop of .2v across the earth so that was fixed to. Hopefully I can get some charge into the deep cycle battery to see what life is left in it.

Thank you for everyone's replies. Probably a good lesson for everyone when having low charging problems is don't go in and replace expensive items lie alternator and regulators as it might just be a $13 cable. Start with the basics :-)

Ian
AnswerID: 475516

Sponsored Links