Oziexplorer CE version: Log track file will not stay "selected"

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 23:25
ThreadID: 91255 Views:1901 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Yes I have searched but I cannot find a solution to my exact problem.

I cannot find a way of getting the Log Track to File option to retain its "selection" from day to day or even before and after a stop. I "tick" it and exit the program without turning power off and come back in and it's okay. When I bring the program back up after an ignition power off the darned tick has disappeared.

All I want is for a new track file to be generated on a daily basis. Yes I have chosen the "daily" option.

Help.

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 01:28

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 01:28
Hello Phil

Not sure...but if the setting is not being saved I am having a punt and guessing you are running the OziCe program from an SD card. Make sure it is not set to lock (ie the little sliding thing on the side of the SD card). If the card is locked nothing including any changed settings will be saved.

If I am way off track (no pun intended) maybe try reinstalling the program.

What version are you using and on what unit are you running it?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475160

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:34

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:34
Hi Greg

Version is 2.32. It's in the VMS 3000 tourer for the Toyota. And yes it is on an SD card. It is not write protected and the tracks save okay when the option works.

I am unable to reinstall the program. It came on the card and no installation kit. And no "backup" or second copy or anythiing. It came already installed with the VMS unit. I repeatedly asked Ozi what happens if it screws up because it ran on the SD card. I can buy a new installation for $300. Not happy Jan.

This has been a problem from day one. Most, most annoying. I lost two whole days tracks up on Cape York and ALL of the drive around the Karunji Track in the Kimberley. I raise it now because I am just so fed up and out of ideas.

Is there a track log distance or such that would affect it? I have fiddled with them without any luck.

Phil

FollowupID: 750109

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:58

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:58
"I can buy a new installation for $300"

Thats a bit steep - program only cost $45 and you have presumambly already paid when you got the unit. Updates are free. Maybe they are charging for labour (5 minutes) and postage or something.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750131

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:55

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:55
Greg

I think I know how to upgrade so maybe that will do for a reinstall. Do you know which one I download for the VMS 3000?

While waiting for your response I think its the first ARM version so I will download that one and await your response.

Incidently the "Track Log to File" option was ticked when I fired it up to get the version. Gggrrrr

Phil
AnswerID: 475173

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:49

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:49
Hi

Not sure - never fidlded with VMS but I think you are correct in using the wince_core_runtime_arm.zip version.

Make a backuo copy of your SD contents prior to doing any changes ....just in case things go haywire (unlikley). The only file you actually need to change is the Ozi.exe (or similar name) one (ie get it from the downlioaded file and overwrite existing file).

If the update doesn't fix the issue I am not sure what could be wrong. The file that records configuration settings is called OziExplorer1.cfg and or OziExplorer2.cfg. Maybe check that these exists and that one or other or both change (check file date and time) when you make changes to configuration.

Good luck

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750128

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:51
PS: on my Hema the exe file is called OziExplorerCE.exe.....so maybe VMS same - just make sure updated file is same name as the old one.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750129

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 15:45

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 15:45
All going okay now Greg.

I upgraded to 2.35 and made up another SD card without the street and Moving Map stuff on it. The option has remained selected through several power cycles during this action. Beats me. Maybe the original developed a glitch. That is exactly why I would never develope anything that relies on any removable media. NEVER.

Anyway that is the way it is.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 750155

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:04

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:04
Hi

Good stuff

OziExplorer doesn’t specifically require removable media e.g. Hema has all the Ozi operating files on internal memory. I am lead to believe that OziExplorer isn’t standard with most (all?) VMS units and maybe internal memory is not accessible to users..so SD card on;y option.

I find it better to save data to SD card. Internal memory is not immune to getting fried/lost. I lost ~100 waypoints collected in a 3 hour period once on a Magellan explorist when it jammed up during a waypoint save – the entire file was lost. In this case it wouldn’t have happened if I was saving to SD card..not sure if this is a universal safe guard.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750158

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:14

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:14
Understood. However we lost heaps of photos from the SD card in our camera. With a electronics and computer background I prefer something permanent with an external secondary system as a backup.

Personal preferences hey???

Phil
FollowupID: 750161

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:21

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:21
No worries...Obviously the potential to lose data exists wherever its stored....not possible to make a general statement about what is best....different best options for different equipment/circumstances.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750162

Sponsored Links