Easter camp location - Close to hunter valley??

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 20:08
ThreadID: 91274 Views:1831 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Well just before easter last year I posted the question of where to go camping in the barrington tops at easter and ended up having a great time at the upper allyn.

Now I pose the question for this year, where to go??? I'm getting in early so we can work everything out.

We are located in the Hunter Valley (Cessnock) but have one couple that will come from Hornsby.

Was hoping on somewhere near a river, maybe hawkesbury??? But at the same time was thinking the further we head south towards syd the higher chances of places being busy.

Also doesn't necassarily have to be on a river, but would be handy so we have a water source and dont have to take it all with us.

Accessible with a trailer would be nice aswell.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Pok
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lambo - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 20:12
what about along the myall river or on the lakes. not too far from you and u can get rite up to the water easily in lots of places

cheers
AnswerID: 475229

Follow Up By: Pokolbinguy - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 20:16

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 20:16
Lambo,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that as an option, I would assume that is gets very busy at easter however??? Any tips for that area for particular camp grounds? I have only ever camped at the "myall river camp ground" I think it is called, just out of town on the left hand side heading north. Private camp ground with water and toilets.
FollowupID: 750188

Follow Up By: lambo - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:17

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:17
there are heaps of camping areas along the myall north from hawks nest to the legges camp punt, and also plenty of camps northward on the lakes after the punt . if u want to continue north to stay on the eastern side of the lakes, the turn off is just b4 the punt. npws have plenty of info and i always found them helpful. the last time we went up there (last yr just b4 easter) there were very few people there, but it does get more crowded at easter.

good luck
FollowupID: 750364

Follow Up By: lambo - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:19

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:19
u wont need a 4wd between hawks nest and legges camp, but if u go further up the eastern side, some bits can be a bit tricky. on the lakes north of the punt, 4wd not needed. either case trailer wud be ok

cheers
FollowupID: 750365

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:54

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:54
You may like Coolah Tops Nat Park. I live in Paxton and love it there. Things to see , plenty of water and waterfalls and lookouts, and you can even have a fire and use the timber on the ground, so you don't have to lug it in.

And, as of the last time I was there (July/Aug 2011) it is free. There are a couple of camp grounds and you can also camp and stay in a few huts that they have there. Google it, or go via the NPWS website to see its attractions. One of NSW's hidden gems, in my view.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475275

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 16:45

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 16:45
I have just come back from a week at Nundle. Camping at Chafey Dam / Bowling Alley Point Reserve is sensational. Plenty of room, and the dam is at 100% capacity I believe. Lots of swimming, fishing, boating/canoeing, or just plain old doing nothing sitting under a shady tree.

Best part is it is only 3 hours up the road from Cessnock, but from Pokolbin, you're sooooooooo much closer again :-))

However, I won't reveal where I found gold up there LOL.

Fred.
AnswerID: 475321

Sponsored Links