An effective Camping Meal.

It must have been 1972 when the manufacturer stopped making Ovaltino ice-creams, an incredibly enticing swirl of Ovaltine powder mixed thru Icecream.

What a disaster, it was then that I first realized that the path of human progress isn't always upward and onward.

So its now 2012 and it looks like one of the great quick camping meals , Leggo's meal in a minute, has passed away and then just isn't a replacement.

The Leggo's meal was a true 1 pot pasta type meal which even came in its own bowl so there was no washing up and the pasta sauce was actually real not dried food.

So my mission was to come up with some meal base which ticked all the boxes when really out bush.

1/ No fridge required for any ingredients
2/ True simple 1 pot meal
3/ Maximum time to go from start to actually eating - 3 minutes.
4/ Fill you up quickly .
5/ Warm and hearty - easy to consume.
6/ Leave no messy greasy dishes to wash up.
7/ No chance of going off.
8/ Able to make in multiple flavours.
9/ Easy to build apon.
10/ Suitable for Vegetarians or meat eaters.
11/ Cheap - easy to replenish supplies in outback towns.
12/ Not Fragile- Able to be carried in rough conditions.

So what is this meal which has proved such a hit in a highly critical camping family ?

Can of Soup , into which is mixed some deb mashed potato.

We use chunky vegetable, from a pull top can, you pour it into a billy/saucepan etc then swirl a little water in the can to wash it and dump it in the pot.

When the soup boils , you turn off the heat and mix in deb until you get the required consistency.

We like it relatively stiff and with chunky vegetables it really eats like a proper meal.

The ability to make this so fast - means you can make up some - then make up
another flavour for some - non complaint family member.

Being a water based meal, clean up is easy and usually a paper towel to wipe
bowl is all thats needed , so saving water etc.

Padding it out - a simple way to give the above more kick is to slice an onion
and brown it in the saucepan first with a little oil etc which is taken up by the
soup/mash mix.

The only drama with this whole thing is that you have a clean can as a left over
but if flattened and your only out for a week then this is to much of an issue.

Try it - You might be surprized.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:39

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:39
Hi Robin

I like it. We always keep a few packets of the 2 minute noodles in the CT for the "damm we are going to get set up late tonight" event that we all get at times ?? so the can of soup / instant potatoes may well be added to that quick fix box.

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475407

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 13:03

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 13:03
Hi John

Sounds like your 1/2 there already , the worrying thing is that this seemingly simple mixture can actually be more accepted sometimes than something the cook may have slaved over for 3/4 hour - particularly if its taken one little extra step further and the bulk mix is fried just a little.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750346

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:42

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:42
Robin,

We call this “Can Night”. It is a traditional Cannuk method of cooking passed on to us by our Arctic cousins (Canadians) and occassional travel companions. The only difference is that the can becomes the pot.

It requires, 1 can, 1 spoon, 1 left hand glove and 1 fire. A can night is usually called at the end of a particularly hard and gruelling day in the outback or if there are tyres to be mended or equipment repaired. The other time is when the masterful bush chef is too drunk to care about cooking!

Most of our fire pits are dug with a little recess on one wall suitable to sit a number of cans. After selection is made (usually something hearty and chunky), lids a half cracked and the cans placed and rotated until warm through. Left hand glove is for holding hot can while spooning contents into gob.

Dishes – 1 spoon.

Extra benefits;- can be used to warm hands while eating on cold nights.

(Yes I’m sure there will be someone tell me that there are negative side effects to heating and eating straight from the can but that’s the way we like it)

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475408

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 13:52

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 13:52
That sounds it would be a wonderful night around a fire Mick.

I won't be the one to outline what cans are lined with these days - but I am reminded of the first time we went into the then mysterious Wonnagatta valley on my Ossa trailbike down the real Zeka track.

Fuel was a jerry carried on your back and foods was cans of baked beans taped to the handlebars , and it was so good off the fire even with the odd cold patch of beans in the can.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750351

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 16:45

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 16:45
Mick,

My Canadian better half has a variation on this. In another life (before marriage) she was a playground supervisor in her home town. This included some camping for the local kids.

Occasionally they'd have a Hobo Stew. Each child to bring a can of something they'd like to eat for dinner, and a spoon. The contents of all cans were tipped into a pot and the cans retained by the donors.

After heating over the fire, the resultant witches' brew was served in the cans. She said there were some very interesting combinations on occasions, but they all tasted good to hungry kids.

1 spoon to wash up, one can to take home.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750361

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 18:23

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 18:23
My dad also had the same recipe. A Mallee boy from the wilds of Nandaly, they called it "Coronation Stew". We loved it as kids but didin't let him do it to often as adults without proper supervision ha ha.

Nothing beats a Jaffle Iron and some piping hot indeterminate filling. I still lament the quiet passing of Kraft Braised Steak and Onions which is my favourite. The best on the market. Had I known it was going a couple of years back, I would have stocked up. Damn.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750372

Follow Up By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:49

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:49
Aaaahhh, the infamous 'can night'

Although I must confess to an odd 'can night' it does not rate too highly in my search for epicurean delights.

Robin, one must not lower your standards even when camping miles/kilometres from civilisation.
I’m sorry Robin, nothing can replace a leisurely cooked medium rare fillet steak with steamed vegetables…plus a glass or two of shiraz…..or even a piece of poached fish accompanied with fresh vegetables….and a glass or two of a wooded chardonnay.

A lot to be said for a quick, no fuss, meal but planning, planning and more planning will ensure sufficient time to settle, create a quiet fire, enjoy the sunset, prepare the meal, quaff an ale…or two, cook a brilliant evening repast and maybe, just maybe invite a fellow traveller (who has not been so fortunate to prepare a decent meal) for an outback dining experience not to be forgotten.

Good travel across good Australian county, with good Australian friends deserves more that just….’a can with powered spuds for tea’

All written TIC…

Bon appetite.

MJ
FollowupID: 750398

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:05

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:05
Robin I have been a recipient of MJ's good epicurean planning and invitation.

One night in the Gibson, miles from the nearest Roadhouse, MJ had a meal of Garlic Prawns. I was watching him cook them on the camp fire. My tongue must have been hanging out like a dogs, as he offered me one of them. I've never tasted a better prawn than that one on that night.

mmm, yumm

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750400

Follow Up By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:25

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:25
Alan, my friend, it has been a delight to travel with you, and John of course, and to share an evening repast.

You have been known to 'travel light' and probably dine with the most basic of foodstuff available..however I am sure that given a choice, a tasty meal of char-grilled steak and vegetables or fresh salad or maybe even a stirfry Thai chicken with fried rice...mmmmmm would be preferable to 'spam' from the tin;)))

I'll travel with you anytime Al, and provide the tucker...
Can't buy good friends around the campfire.

MJ
FollowupID: 750401

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:32

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:32
Like Mick O I am a huge fan of the good old Jaffle Iron. We have a double header so he cooking time is halved.

On our last couple of trips we used flat breads instead of the more traditional Tip Top or Buttercup and they are great. Much easier to carry too.

The choice of filling is always changing and I have had a couple of my favourites disappear or simply deteriorate over the years. The current champ is the Big Eat range; they all taste pretty much the same so the flavour doesn't matter much.

That said the can of soup and some Deb will get a run next time I am away.

Now for desert.

Boil a pack of dried apples in the billy until they soften. Then just before serving add a packet of jelly crystals, I like Port Wine flavour but the search for your own particular favourite is always interesting. Stir through and serve hot.

Duncs
FollowupID: 750402

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:55

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:55
Ahhh MJ, well do I remember the smoked chicken lunch whilst we waited for a vehicle to cool down somewhere west of the Canning. I was shocked by that "no fridge" lamb shank you pulled out from under the seat in 2010. Not bad. I tend to keep it simpler these days. Steak (or even "tube-steaks") on the hotplate and Vegies roasted in foil are a favourite. You have to remember that feeding one Outback Al K requires quantity more than quality (and even then he's skirting the fire like a dingo looking for scraps).

Dunc, try raison bread in the jaffle with tinned pie apples and a sprinke of cinnamon suger. Make sure it's slower coals as the sugar in the bread will burn quickly if it's too hot. Serve with the long life custard for a great dessert in the desert.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750404

Follow Up By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 23:11

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 23:11
"Dunc, try raison bread in the jaffle with tinned pie apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. Make sure it's slower coals as the sugar in the bread will burn quickly if it's too hot. Serve with the long life custard for a great dessert in the desert."

Dunc, he may be an advocate of the quick n easy meal but Mick O has just shown his more sensitive side.

The inner man requires decent fuel to enable him to saddle up and endure whatever the ensuing day has to offer.

-and yep, AK has been known to keep all 'left-overs' to a minimum.......and I am sure there are a few more delights in the IGA aisles yet to be discovered..:))

MJ
FollowupID: 750405

Reply By: bks - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:49

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:49
Try this Happy Camper they are delicious and keep for months
AnswerID: 475409

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:15

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:15
Hey they look alright and would be ideal, no fridge/freezer and would pack nice and easy, might order one and see what they taste like, sure sound ok. Would be great for even a quick weekend away especially with our 4 year old, throw in some spuds or pasta, done.......
FollowupID: 750363

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 13:16

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 13:16
Our quick and easy standby after a late stop is instant packet soup, accompanied by toast, cracker or dried bread type biscuits, or what ever substitute is on hand. Requires boiling of kettle only (and flame or coals if choosing toast).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475410

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:07

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:07
Hi Mother

I'm not familar with what you mean by dried bread type biscuits - probably because I never get past the butter shortbreads we still have over from christmas.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750382

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:51

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:51
Hi Robin

I don't see them so often now - Coles and Woollies used to have store brands of the same as well; names like Crispbread, Puffed Crispbread. Sort of a cross between a biscuit and a piece of crisp toast. We always had them in the tuckerbox in the car - useful for lunches and something to eat in case we every got stranded aways from the caravan. A few sweet biccies on the box as well, which sometimes got raided on the way home if late from a day trip; we never had to spend the night in the car unexpectedly.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750389

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 19:46
Gday Robin
I'll get some of those little toasts for you on the next trip and you supply the quail eggs

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750930

Reply By: Ozrover - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:44

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:44
Gerday Robin,

I was out with Dave doing a recovery a couple of years ago & as it was a rushed trip (recoveries usually are) Dave just dumped his Bugout Box in the ute & off we went, when it came time for a meal later that night he pulled out a couple of cans of Campbells CHUNKY, great stuff, it comes in a whole range of flavours!

Heated them up next to the fire & consumed with a couple of Goldies great tucker!

I'm addicted to them, haven't tried the Deb Mashed yet but will the next time I'm out there.

AnswerID: 475432

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:03

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:03
Hi Jeff

You certainly need a few quickies for those occasions don't you , when my mate came crawling into camp dragging his broken axle camper a couple of weeks ago and it was raining dark cold and misty , well a quick bit of hot food and hot coffee really made the whole mood change.

Do try mixing in some deb , it really does nothing but change the texture , and
it seems like one is eating solid food.

Just don't serve it up to me when I'm next at Mt Dare !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750381

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:51

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:51
Grrrr Trailers!
Took the young bloke out to recover an abandoned trailer last year & tried to heat up a can of Chunky over my Jetboil stove in the dark! Yep boiled over & now the self lighter doesn't work!

We may have to get the Specials board up with some Bangers & Mash for when your up here next time! LOL.

FollowupID: 750434

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 18:17

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 18:17
I admit I do this sometimes, tomato or minestrone soup sachet with powdered potato, dried corn, peas, carrots and mushrooms and a sprinkle of garlic and shallots. Camping comfort food ; )

Tasty Bite Indian sachet meals are a great quick and easy meal where pack weight is of no concern. The sachet can be put into the billy for a minute or two then poured over rice which is also available precooked in sachets now. Both available from Woolies in a wide variety of flavours.

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475435

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:16

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:16
Hi Terra

Some of things can be ok , but you know what I am missing is all those products in sachels that were still moist so you didn't have to add water , used to be pasta sauces (now only in glass) , even rice etc.

I noticed your early dried food questions , it seems like the range is getting less unless you like the Happycamper type stuff above, but I'm vegetarian so I don't even have that choice.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750384

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:50

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:50
I'm vegetarian as well so I know how limiting it can be. I'm thinking of commissioning my Mum to dry a wide variety of vegies and fruits and posting me food packages, while I'm walking around Oz so I don't get too bored with the same menu every week. Dried fruits are easy enough to find but there's not much in the way of vegies anymore unless I want to run the MSG and sulphate gauntlet in Chinese supermarkets.

Those Tasty Bite meals and rices are wet, no need to add anything, just place the sealed sachet/sachel into the boiling billy (wash sachels before packing so you can still use the water for a cuppa), heat and eat. They are Indian and vegetarian/vegan and very yummy. I think there are about 7 different Indian dishes, the Mombay Potatos can be a bit hot if you're not used to chilli. I often just take these for main meals, even when out hiking, quick and easy when you're exhausted. Very little waste and long shelf life. Check woolies Indian food section. The wet precooked rices are in the normal rice section.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750387

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:55

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:55
Just double checked your check list and Tasty Bites and the rices get the big tick

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750391

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:08

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:08
Gday Robin
"non compliant family member" not in my family Robin. You eat what the chef has provided even if the meal takes two hrs to prepare .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475447

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 23:08

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 23:08
A bit longer than 3 three minutes......

Image Could Not Be Found

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475453

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 00:25

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 00:25
There are a few things that are still arround and still work well.

Plumrose tined franfurts or cherios, were a staple of pre refrigerated camping....always on the menu at scout camps.

The work well on the manafold.....if you can find or contrive a nook right next to the exhaust manafold, 20 minutes steady driving they will be done just right

This one was my party trick when I was a young bloke......the party of several vehicles would pull up at the destination & I would produce hot frankfurts..seemingly from nowhere.

you can do the same with brased steak and onions.......tom pipers still do a nice brased steak & onions......soop would have to work too.

Just don't overdo it.......a mate of mine worked his way thru uni driving his old mans truck inter stste on the weekends.....he put a can of brased steak & onions on the manafold at the bottom of cunninghams gap range......the pull was a bit harder than he expected and the can exploded before he got to the top...he had to put up with the smell all the way to Sydney.

Of course there is the best thing ever to come out of a can.
FRAY BENTOS steak and kidney pie...mmmmmm......aint all that fast but its worth the wait..we always have some at home..I've never tried it in the camp oven my self...but bushie brother tells me it works a treat.

A bit of top heat, and keep the oven near the main bed of coals and keep turning it........

Damn......I'm gona light a fire tomorrow and try it.

cheers
AnswerID: 475458

Sponsored Links