'Soft' 4wds with dual battery?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:13
ThreadID: 91335 Views:9292 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Dear all,

After spending 15 months travelling around Oz in a Nissan Patrol, we are now back in the bright lights and traffic of Sydney (by the way, anyway who is thinking of travelling around Oz, I have only one thing to say - Just Do It! - It's incredible - especially the Kimberleys)

The Nissan Patrol is too big for city life, so are looking for something that is smaller, you can still go off road( but very rarely) and isn't too pricey. The only question is which of the 'soft' off-roaders (e.g. Rav 4, Hyundai Santa Fe etc) can you get a dual battery under the bonnet safely (to run a fridge off)?

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks all.
Ligoland

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jo Q (NSW) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:52

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:52
Hi Ligoland,

I recently just up sized to a Ford Ranger, prior to that I had a Nissan x-trail. I took that car off roading on a regular basis & got it into the Simpson, out to Birdsville, down on the dunes at Stockton as well as many other tracks local to Sydney.

I had a dual battery set up in the back of the car that worked well. I couldn't fit it under the bonnet, but put in a sealed cell battery in a battery box & that worked without missing a beat.

You may not be interested in an x-trail, but the batteries can be put into the backs of the smaller cars quiet easily & just as effectively. I actually have the dual battery in the back of the Ranger as it didn't fit under the bonnet?

Just some thoughts....

Cheers,
AnswerID: 475491

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:48

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:48
Hi Ligoland

In the Subaru we put a small Gel battery into one of the side pockets in the back. Ran the Engel and a C pap. OK for a day stationary but needed more capacity after that.

Also tried a portable set-up with a sealed deep cycle in a battery box strapped to the cargo barrier. That worked well but took up more room. two up was never a problem.

Looking at mounting a Gel under the front seat in the Tiguan as soon as I can work out safe charging system with all the electronics.

The biggest issue is running the wiring somewhere safe and protected and managing the voltage drop from the longer wiring runs into the cabin.
Oh and making sure wiring holes through bulkheads are grommetted and wiring is properly fused.
Actually also remember how heavy the battery is and make sure its secured as well.
While these are all relevant under the bonnet they become really important when the battery is in the cabin with you.

The advantage of getting the battery inside is it doesn't get as heat affected and theoretically lasts longer.

I have heard of ML Mercedes having the standard battery replaced with two high capacity Gel cells in the same cradle. Apparently worked well but I didn't actually see it.

Regards

A
AnswerID: 475498

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 15:56

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 15:56
Suzuki make small, very capable 4WD vehicles that have high and low range. I don't know about the battery issue, but if you want a serious 4WD check Suzuki out. See quote from website Suzuki

"The Suzuki Grand Vitara offers a rugged full-time 4-Mode 4WD, with limited-slip type center differential with a low-range transfer case. Unlike other compact SUV's that make do with AWD, the Grand Vitara can go where these wanna-be's don't dare."

If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475505

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:40

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:40
"Unlike other compact SUV's that make do with AWD....."

Mitsubishi Pajero io has a LSD rear diff and centre diff lock as standard on it's bullet proof Super Select four wheel drive system. Proper transfer case and full high range 2WD, high range 4WD, high range 4WD with centre diff lock and low range 4WD with centre diff lock.

Just saying...............

Fab.
FollowupID: 750466

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:55

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:55
Hi Fab. He may want something that is still produced. The IO is a bit like my Jackaroo. Slowly becoming a dinosaur.
Been anywhere interesting in the IO?
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 750467

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 21:08

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 21:08
G'Day Kevin,
Yep... if you're in the market for something new, sadly the io and the Jack are off the menu. :(
I've done a couple of short blasts on some tracks through the Adelaide hills after a few days of rain that we had, but she's in the garage at the moment.
I managed to find a new/old stock ECB bar for the front. The plan is to make a few mods before the camping season starts.

Fit nudge bar, Lightforce 240 Blitz, some el cheapo driving lights, fit my GME UHF and HF radios, 2 inch lift, some muddies probably on new rims (down size from 16" to 15"), some better bash plates, towbar, roof rack/basket, overhead console (for the UHF), modify the exhaust (get rid of the east/west muffler) to free up some space for either an LPG tank or another 40-50 litre ULP tank and maybe some rock sliders.

I'm gonna be a busy boy but I want to make this little girl a bit tougher before I tackle anything more remote.

Thanks for asking... :) Will post pics once it's all done.

Fab.
FollowupID: 750704

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 08:09

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 08:09
Sounds great. You will have the smartest IO in Adelaide. The extras won't fit into the original budget though, will they? But it's no different with a new one. Have you seen the list of items the 4wd mags say you need to add to a LC200 before it is ready to go bush. Much more than the cost of your IO plus the extras. I'll look forward to the pics.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750736

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 09:47

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 09:47
Cheers Kevin...yeah she should look the part.

Just when you think you've seen everything, a magazine will come out with something new. Like Auto detatching sway bars.

Personally I think some people are getting a bit soft and only want to push dash mounted buttons in their quest to say they've been there and done that.

I still think a shovel and some gloves are the best accessory you could ever get...and the most reliable too.

OK...best get off here now before the Chit Chat Police come and get me.

Fab.
FollowupID: 750754

Reply By: bockstar1 - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 22:27

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 22:27
We had a 2001 Mazda Tribute for a few years before the 80 series. I investigated install 2 batteries under the bonnet. One Auto-Leccy reckoned it was possible to get 2 smallish batteries into the place where the main cranking one was. I wasn't so convinced and never went ahead with it.

We managed a trip to the Red Centre in July running a fridge off the main one. Didn't have dramas but we weren't set in one place for very long.
AnswerID: 475547

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:52

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:52
SEriously look at a battery set up in the rear of whatever vehicle you choose. I had a Sidewinder Flyer in the Jackaroo, transferred to the x-trail then to the triton & now in the Mahindra. No matter where the battery is you need a long wiring run to the rear. My Flyer came with sufficent wire for any length vehicle. No heat issues with a rear mount. The original battery (Trojan 110ah) lasted near 5 years of travel & on & off use & is now in the van as a house battery. Bill
AnswerID: 475566

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 09:22

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 09:22
I had a house battery fitted in the back of my Jackaroo yesterday. Sidewinder Dual Battery Isolator, Battery Value 95Ah battery and local auto sparky. How's that for supporting Explore Oz members?
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750505

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 00:28

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 00:28
>>>>>LOVE IT<<<<<<

big cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 750607