planning a trip

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 01:00
ThreadID: 91349 Views:1769 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, i'm planning a trip from Perth to Broome, to Uluru, to Brisbane, down the east coast, then back to Perth. I have never done a long trip, so i'm after all the info i can get, from which accessories, brands, to places to see along the way, tracks to explore, etc.
I'll be travelling on my own, in my 80 series Landcruiser. It has dual fuel, a two inch lift, roof rack, UHF and Ironman winch bar(no winch as yet). I plan on getting an in dash GPS, rear drawers, snorkel, dual battery system, awning, shower, air compressor and diff breathers. I'll be camping out in my swag, and i have the basic camping accessories. Planning on taking about 3 months, unless i can find work along the way (i'm a roof plumber). Got a budget of 7 to 10k to spend on accessories/setting up, and 7 to 10k for the trip.
I'm after as much info/advice as i can get.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:36

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:36
Hi. Just my opinion but I reckon it would be better to break your research up into sections and do each bit as you go. Otherwise you will have too much info to digest and it may become blase.
I think your first section to Broome would almost overload you, especially if you take your time. There are many towns up the north way screaming for tradesmen and I think if you wanted work you would be lucky to get past the tropic line in 12 mths, let alone one. Good luck, I;m sure you will enjoy it. Bob

AnswerID: 475563

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 14:56

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 14:56
Hi Jamdan

Check through the wealth of blogs here, on both setting up and on trips. Three months? You could do the Kimberley and Pilbara justice.

To do the lap you suggest in three months would be a lot of fuel and driving and not a lot of fun. See places thoroughly a bit at a time - stopping to work for a while would be ideal.

As for setting up your rig, it depends on whether you want to get off the beaten track or not.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475586

Reply By: Grubby - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:11

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:11
What an awesome trip!! You will have no shortage of things to see. I will be doing the same soon from Perth - depending on when and flooding etc (just waiting on my house selling too) - I will be alone too but being a female I want something a little more sturdy than a swag (these people scare me nowadays).
I am sure you will have no drama's picking up work anywhere. Balance is the key there - you don't want to spend your exploring time working!!! (well I don't anyways :-))
I'll look forward to your updates.

Rob

AnswerID: 475690

Reply By: jamdan - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 00:11

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 00:11
Thanx for ya replies guys, maybe i will go longer than three months. will definitely be doin a bit of off road stuff. Hey, when ya goin Grubby? Might see ya out there....
AnswerID: 475746

Follow Up By: Grubby - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 00:49

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 00:49
Heya jamdan

Well - not sure yet - like I said I am trying to sell the house - but if it doesn't sell soon I will probably just rent it out (eeeekkk - it'll be a meth lab before I know it LOL) and go anyways. It will just change my plans somewhat and probably mean I'll have to work here and there when I wasn't really intending to do that much. It will also mean I have to get something other than the caravan I had picked out - and I would settle for a tent at this point just to get out there. I have an old van already (mitsubitshi) that is pretty well set up for me doing a bit of travel, but I would probably just need to address refrigeration, cooking, and cleaning options for life to be a bit more comfortable in the long term. I won't be able to go as off road as you will be able to but would probably stick to caravan parks, if I was in a tent as I might get a bit scared being in a tent alone in the bush :-) (I'm not a scardy cat, but some of these ppl out there freak me out now).
My plans are lengthier than 3 months - in fact I intend to live like this forever unless something drastic happens.
When are you looking at taking off?

Rob
FollowupID: 750730

Follow Up By: jamdan - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 23:15

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 23:15
Hey Grubs

Sounds like a lot of fun......Forever??? Thats a mighty long time, but i like your way of thinking. As for your cooking, most caravan parks will have bbqs, or power for a mickey wave, all ya really need is a little gas burner. The parks will normally have washing machines too.

I haven't got a date set yet, but am thinking about mid year, need to get some bits an pieces done to my car, and a bit of planning to do also.

Keep me posted on how ya setting up, and where ya intend heading to, we might be able to help each other out with some tips and advice...

Daryl
FollowupID: 750848

Follow Up By: Grubby - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 02:08

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 02:08
Hey Daryl
Well - forever until I get sick of it and or find where I want to live - I'm just pretty sure it won't be Perth so I have to find that place in my travels.
I have done this before - but many years ago - back in the mid to late 80s. Things seemed to be a bit safer then - unless I was just too young to realise.
I will be the same time frame - up to mid year sometime I think. I have given the real estate another 2 months to be able to flog this house - and if not I will go to plan B :-). I do not want to do another Winter here.
There are going to be many great places for you to see - and if you set off in Winter here you will get the best of the weather and the gorges etc should be full or flowing at least. I haven't been past Broome since the 80s - but have been in Darwin 7 times in the last 15 months or so. I haven't been further than Litchfield (a must see) and the Adelaide River on the Arnhem HWY these times. Once again the 80s was when I was further South of there and I am looking forward to getting back over to QLD again (was just there in November) via the top. Victoria River is a must see from memory and the Gibb River Road.
You are going to have your work cut out for you if you are intending to do all of that in 3 months. Sounds like working along the way might be the go for you.
Looks like we'll be doing pretty much the same route. Difference for me is I might have longer periods of time in the places - due to having the rest of my life to kill :-). I will keep you posted on how quickly I get my act together here. :-) Few things to do on the van etc as well.

Rob
FollowupID: 750864

Follow Up By: jamdan - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 22:54

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 22:54
Hey Rob

Sounds like ya don't like Perth??
I moved here from Melbourne 3 years ago, and i love the place, great weather, beaches, lifestyle, everything!
Unfortunately i havta move back to Melbourne, my girlfriend lives there and she won't come over here, hence my trip.... she's not good at travelling so i wanna do it before i settle down and miss my opportununity.
I've been to Darwin (Litchfield, Adelaide river, etc.), but not to Broome or Uluru, and they are both places i've wanted to see since i was a boy.
Gibb River Road is definitely on the cards, and i'm beginning to think you're right, 3 months might be a bit short. Time to alter my plans.

Good luck on setting up the van, definitely keep me posted on where ya up to.

Daryl
FollowupID: 750952

Sponsored Links