Personal Locator Beacon

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 07:35
ThreadID: 91369 Views:2027 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found

I am thinking of selling my personal locator beacon (pictured above) but remember reading that there were changes happening to them. This one I bought about 2 years again and is a pocket series 406/121.5 Mhz.

I cannot find any information on the net but can anyone tell me if this is still a current model. I would feel very bad if I sold an out of date model and someone came to grief as a result.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: granite53 - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:31

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:31
Carl
It's still OK to use - 406Mhz beacons are current standard - 121.5 MHz are not detected here in OZ any more.

See http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/beacon-models.html

Les
AnswerID: 475641

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:59

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:59
What do you want for it?
I'm interested in buying

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475646

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 09:07

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 09:07
If Carl does decide to sell his PLB then he will place an Ad in the classifieds so that this thread does not become moderated for "For Sale/Wanted" .

Regards
The ModSquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750618

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 09:03

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 09:03
Hi Carl,
if you do sell it, don't forget to MAKE SURE the new owner registers the beacon with their details and you MAKE SURE that your details are cancelled with AMSA
so that they don't come looking for you if the beacon is set off.
http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/

regards,
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475647

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 09:33

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 09:33
Hi Carl

Yes it is still the current model. Seems strange that you want to sell it as they are a great unit. Ours lives 100% of its life in the vehicle and the moment that we either go for a paddle, or hike it is then with us.

Do you have the small certified label on the unit from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority like this..

Image Could Not Be Found

Every unit must be registered, as they all transmit details that are linked to the registered owner.

Without this registration label, your unit is useless.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475650

Follow Up By: Anotheone - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:27

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:27
Hi Stephen

Its great to mention the registration and sticker. Just one small point. The beacon isn't useless if its not registered, it will still work and we still get the data from the satellite. But we don't know who it is and quite often where you are. Being registered saves us a heap of resources.

On my last shift I had 6 beacons detected in Australia. 5 Registered of which 4 were false alarms and we resolved them in around 15 Minutes after calling the names on the registration details.

The 6th one, unregistered, has gone off three times this month, for only a couple of minutes and satellite has been unable to get a position. A bit frustrating.
FollowupID: 750632

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:02

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:02
Hi Anotherone

I know that they will still work, but I thought that they must be registered. I have heard of one person being fined when their boat were inspected, yes they had the PLB, but because it did not display a current valid ID label, they were fined.

Is this true, or just another made up story.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 750637

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:11

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:11
Anotherone

I bet that frustrating isn't the half of it. No wonder by the time a valid emergency exists some staff are a but lazy (bad word to use) about it. A bit like the boy who cried wolf. I heard that they are still finding them at Mugga lane tip. Why are people so keen not to do the right thing and dispose of things properly.

This is another reason we got the satellite phone. And I tested it to the centre in Canberra. At least we cannot trigger a false alarm easily. Not that we want to anyway.

Phil
FollowupID: 750639

Follow Up By: Effie C (Ex NT now ACT) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:49

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:49
Strange ours is registered but we have never recieved a sticker, I just print out the registration summary and keep that with the beacon; it has all the details on it. :))
Live One Day at a Time for Tomorrow May Never Come.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750651

Follow Up By: Anotheone - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:56

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:56
Stephen

For boating if you are required by law to carry a distress beacon (as per state rules such as how far you can go offshore) you actually have to carry an EPIRB a PLB doesn't meet the requirements. Epirbs float upright and have longer battery life. Crews in yacht races can carry PLBs though.

The while stickers. These are issued by amsa on behalf of the states and casa. Its an easy way for water police to check if your epirb is registered if you are legally required to. PLBs get the stickers for so those used for aircraft and for the yachties can show its registered.

I'm guessing (because I'm not police) that if you got a safety check and your beacon didn't have a sticker then assumption was that it wasn't registered. I'm guessing the person could always go back and try and get the charge dropped if they were registered - but I don't really know how that works.

If you do not have a legal requirement to carry a distress beacon - ie don't go far offshore (depending on state regs) or you use it for hiking, offroading ect you do not have to register it - but we encourage it because of the benefits.

For interest there are 220 000 beacons registered on our database and the guess is that nearly 30 per cent of distress beacons remain unregistered

I don't think I explained the state requirements for boaties very well - this link is better :) Beacon State Requirements
FollowupID: 750652

Follow Up By: Anotheone - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 13:14

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 13:14
Effie C
I think that is because stickers were not always issued for PLBs, So you may have registered it before stickers were used. If you want one just give them a call or email in working hours and the team that manages the database can arrange it. Otherwise you should get one on your next 2 year anniversary for registration as it is also a trigger to get users to check their details.
FollowupID: 750654

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 07:09

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 07:09
Anotherone, do you also handle Spot assistance? I understand that SPOT US calls some Australian Authority. I am wondering if you know how that would work, or IF that would work?

regards
FollowupID: 750731

Follow Up By: Anotheone - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 07:25

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 07:25
Boobook

For Spot we have an MOU with them that we are the single point of contact in Australia for responding to the 911 alerts. Before the MOU they would try and contact different states or organisations.
Essentially, if a 911 spot alert comes up in our area, they call us. They continue to tack down info about the owner and we coordinate a search.
We don't endorse them and don't do any quality control on their system.
FollowupID: 750732

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:33

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:33
It's also a good idea to up-date your details before leaving for a trip, i.e where your going, when your going, mode of transport, and intended direction of travel. Also ensure that the contact details are still current. I up-date my details every time before I go away.
Capt.
AnswerID: 475666

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:17

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:17
My registered PLB has followed me to Fiji for 2 years and I have told them that it is here.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 750667

Sponsored Links