Canning Stock Route

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:43
ThreadID: 91422 Views:2345 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Members
We are planning a trip this year August, throught the Canning Stock Route.
Are there any issues with starting at Halls Creek?
Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
REVS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - shane c5 - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:06

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:06
I am planning on doing this trip at the end of the season around october. Starting at Halls creek shouldn't be a problem as you can get fuel at Bilaluna at the start. The bottom half will be the biggest trip without fuel after Kunawarritji Com. Track should be well marked by the time you are heading that way.
shane c5
AnswerID: 475867

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:13
Just a quick post to monitor this thread as we hope to drive it next year.

Phil

PS It would be nice to have a monitor or subscribe to thread option.
AnswerID: 475868

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:16
Phil
Try clicking on the 'Thread Watch' button next to the post reply button.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 750884

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:17

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:17
You can always click the tread watch button.
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 750885

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:28
I looked everywhere but there for it.

If you look at the screen capture photo below you will see that it looks as if it is not enabled. I cannot even read it without putting the cursor on it.

Thanks

I will use it next time. Didn't want to be a nuisance.

Phil

FollowupID: 750888

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:20

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:20
I just tried it. It's a members only thing.

Phil
FollowupID: 750973

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:37

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:37
Hi Rev's
Wife and I travelled the Canning Stock Route and side trips almost two years ago.
We travelled south to north.
Toward the end or the track about smoko time we had just come into a clear area with some small clay pans.
There was a couple and two kids having cake and coffee and we asked if we could join them.
They were from Austria and this was their third trip traversing The Canning SR.
During conversation they said we were travelling the wrong direction.
They said "The colours are far more brilliant travelling from the north"
So this will be the direction we go next time.
Regards
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475871

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 17:30
Rev's,

There will probably be a bit of value for you in this thread of a few days ago.

Thread 91326 - CSR

Just be aware that the northern end of the CSR around Billiluna and the area immediately south is more subject to water and inundation than other areas so check ahead with the shire office at Halls Creek before you leave.

I have written a few blogs on vasrious sections of the Canning. Some contain video etc which may give you an idea of what to expect. List of Canning blogs is here.

Canning Blog List

It is famous for corrugations along its length but there are a few beaut sections between Wells 51-50.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475907

Reply By: Member - Walter H (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 20:50

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 20:50
Image Could Not Be FoundG'day Rev's
Myself and 3 other 4by's did the CSR from South to North last August ., and if you plan to top up your fuel at Billiluna and you get there on a Saturday, make sure its before midday as its only open for half a day[as we found out].As for the stories that the Southbound entries to dunes were easer then the north side, well in my opinion it was a load of jargon as the approaches have sweeping bends and are rough on most approaches regardless of the direction your travelling.And the price of fuel at the Kunawarritji will empty your wallet as its $3.20/ltr, apart from that its a great trip and between the 4 4by's we only lost one battery and one fridge which were both covered by warranty.
But i guess like any of the rough tracks that we travel on time is the essence if you want save yourself from costly repairs, for we took our time and covered the distance to Halls Creek in 19 days as we wanted to preserve our 4by's for many tracks to come.
As for fuel consumption my Turbo diesel Troopy [weighing 4.1 ton's at the weigh bridge] consumed 211 ltr's from Wiluna to Kunawarritji Community and that was with many deviations of the main track.

Happy Motoring
AnswerID: 475932

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:11

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:11
Further to that $3.20 per litre - On the thirstiest days our petrol Troopy was doing about 3 km to the litre, or about $1 per km! It's not all as bad as that, but don't underestimate fuel requirements.

As Bucky says below, the key to this sort of travel is reduced tyre pressures and take it steady. Something to keep in mind too is that you will be heavily loaded, yet you must reduce your tyre pressures to not much more than half your usual, and so the load capacity of your tyres is much reduced.Details here.

The search button ( top right ) will pull up heaps of CSR entries, including lots of blogs. Ours is here.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 750964

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 04:41

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 04:41
REV's
We came back down the Canning, from Hall's Creek in Mid September, and it was HOT hot hot...$+ every day. So August would be no real drama's

Only had to go to Well 33, and headed out to Alice, via the Gary, as we had done the first 1/2 in early August, then branched out thru the Pilbra and then onto the kimberley, and the Gibb.

Keep tyre pressures low, speed down, and you will have a ball.

Click here..... you will get an idea

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 475951

Reply By: REV'S - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 22:52

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 22:52
Hi and thanks for all your replies.

We have done the CSR some 10yrs back, so we are familiar with the conditions etc, Only we started from the southern end heading north.

We have been invited to re-do the CSR only in reverse starting at Halls Creek. Our concern is travelling in the opposite direction to the traffic could be an issue.

Thanks again for your input. Happy and safe travelling to you all. Cheers REV's
AnswerID: 476026

Reply By: OBT46 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 01:19

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 01:19
Travelled north to south in 2003. Probably the easiest way as you are going "with" the sandhills ( remember the sand flag ) and doing the hardest end first. Yes, watch out for reports on wet areas ( Savoury creek ),as you can see where others have had "fun" in the mud. I was in a petrol vehicle ( Mitsi ute ), which had plently of torque, but I was always mindful of "lighting up"and now have a diesel( Ranger). Thinking of going south to north this winter.
AnswerID: 478593

Sponsored Links