Deep Cycle Battery Charger

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:21
ThreadID: 91453 Views:1759 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Im am looking at getting a decent 12v battery charger for our batteries, I currently have a cheap no name brand, and looking at getting a decent one. can anyone point me in the right direction? Charger does not have to be a permanent fixture to trailer but would prefer

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: energy marty - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:25
CTEK are a good reliable brand - also Victron.

Both are smart chargers

mh
AnswerID: 475993

Reply By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:15

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:15
Hi Rumbo,

here's a check list you can use for an informed buying decision:

***selectable charging current 12.5A/25A for inverter operation, and smaller batteries (inverter is powered by the alternator, charger takes care of house bank)

***multistage charging

***selectable charging end voltages 14.4V/14.8V for all VRLA, hybrid and calcium battery types

***two absorption-float-switch-over criteria for maximum battery protection: 3A current taper, and selectable 4hr/8hr overriding charging time limit.
FYI, this feature is handy if you have loads connected to the battery during charging (e.g. fridge).

***13.8V/25A power supply mode so you can operate your 12V appliances from 240V mains.

***two separate battery outputs, isolated from each other

***13.8V 1A constant current output for starting battery maintenance

***external battery temperature sensor for precision charging

***Australian Approval Number (you'd be surprised how many chargers don't have this which makes them illegal to operate, and you'd risk insurance wipe out in case of something going wrong, including fire and electrocution).

***EMC compliance - c-tick, for minimum electro-magnetical interference

***2 year warranty

***local technical/application support 24/7, free of charge

***designed by Waeco, for concurrent fridge operation

***best value for money

For additional information, please follow the link beside the logo below.

cheers, Peter
AnswerID: 476004

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 23:02

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 23:02
I recently installed a Redarc DC-DC smart charger in my vehicle It has done a fantastic job. Alos when i got it connected I had the auto electrician put and anderson plug connection so that I can plug solar system in as well.
The reason i went Redarc was they are an Australian owned and manufactured product (Adelaide) also while looking for a system I phoned the head office and explained what I required and what I was thinking of doing. They agreed that what I was planning to do was viable but expensive and way over the top and that a less expensive option would b what I finally selected. ( I saved several hundred dollars by doing it their way).
While doing my original research I looked at various brands CTEK Piranah and a couple of others but wot finally convinced me was there pre sales service. There was no pressure to stay with there products

Regards
M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476152

Sponsored Links