Route from Leigh Creek to Oodnadatta?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:54
ThreadID: 91456 Views:2676 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning on a 20 day trek through the Flinders Ranges. I've been searching but have yet to find, a route (trek) from Leigh Creek to Oodnadatta. Is anyone aware of such a trek? I'm hoping to get to Oodnadatta to go south to the Painted Desert and then to Coober Pedy. From Coober Pedy to Uluru.

We're planning this trip from mid-April to mid-May this year. Would like to get in touch with anybody who has done this trek or who are planning on trekking through this area during that time.

Thanks!

Stacie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:02

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:02
Not really sure what you mean by this. If you are looking for anything apart from the Oodnadatta Track then there isn't any. It's straight up the track but there's plenty to see and do and if you stop and look and camp then it will take at least five days Leigh Ck to Oodnadatta. From there it's an easy run across to Coober Pedy. From CP to Uluru you have plenty of dirt roads to choose from and you can always go from Oodnadatta to Mt Dare, up to Chambers Pillar and then take the track back to the highway then to Uluru

Check out the Trek Notes section of this website for all the information you need

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 475995

Follow Up By: Member - Stacie J - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:08

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:08
First Trek is the Flinders Ranges up to Arkaroola Village. Was planning on coming back down to Leigh Creek and somehow crossing over to Oodnadatta.

I'm having a difficult time piecing together treks from this Site. We have 20 days and there are 6 or 7 treks that I would like to do through the Flinders, and then over to Uluru, but there is no easy way to combine the different treks from the web site. Maybe I am not using this web site correctly, but I would love to just input all the different treks we want to do and then have it spit out a map combining all. (o:
FollowupID: 751013

Follow Up By: RobAck - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:54
Just get the RAA map for Flinders Ranges and The Outback, it will be fine for what you want to achieve and then the NT maps they can also provide as they cover all the tracks you want to possibly drive. There's some excellent information on the Oodnadatta track including a great CD. Time of year means it will be hot

Depends on what you want to do in the Flinders Ranges as there is plenty of private tracks. Our suggestion would be; stay at Rawnsley Park and do their tracks, head up to Blinman and do Arkapeena Scenic Adventure, Mt Buggary Gorge and Stirrup Iron Range, then up to Warraweena for a few days to do their tracks. That alone will soak up around 5-7 days

Stay at Maree then Coward Springs on the Oodnadatta Track. A flight over Lake Eyre and the Secret Painted Hills on Anna Ck station by our favourite airnline, Wright Air at William Ck. Lunch at the pub is excellent with one of the best burgers around

Along the way there are mound springs and sites where the original Ghan railway went and all are really worth the visit. Tyre pressures around 26 psi and speed around 80-90

Regards

Rob
FollowupID: 751019

Follow Up By: Member - Stacie J - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:18
Hate to sound stupid but "RAA"? I'm not sure what that is. I do have Australia maps but it is very hard to buy maps where I am so I was going to wait until we got to Adelaide to buy the more local maps. Do they have actual maps of 4WD treks? That would be wonderful!

We basically just want to drive around and soak up the scenery, watch the birds, and mingle with local folks to learn everything we can about Australia. We are very casual travelers in that we don't like staying in the big cities and we don't like doing the "touristy" things. We like nature and history.

Thanks for your suggestions - they will come in handy!

Cheers!

Stacie
FollowupID: 751023

Follow Up By: Member - Stacie J - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:23

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:23
Please ignore the RAA part of my reply - I just Googled it. (o:

Those are great! Will be ordering it today. Thank you!
FollowupID: 751025

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:13

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:13
Hi Stacie, We did almost exactly as you describe for the past 2 weeks.

Melbourne - Hawker - Maree- Cooper Creek and return-William Creek-Coober Pedy-Lamberts geographical center of Aust-Eyres Rock via Gunbarrel Hwy-Kings Canyon-Western McDonald Ranges- Alice then the Ghan to Adelaide.

Major highlights where the flight over Lake Eyre and cooper creek with thousands of Pelicans, camping on the Cooper, seeing Uluru while it was raining, and Kings Canyon. We didn't get to the painted Desert.

How are you traveling, we had a combination of camping and pubs. I could recommend a few places if you are doing similar.

The roads were in fantastic condition except the section from Mulga Park up to the Lasseter Hwy on the way to Ayres Rock and parts of the road North of Kings Canyon. We were exceptionally lucky with the weather, being 29 - 33 most days up till the last few days, then 38 - 41.
AnswerID: 475998

Follow Up By: Member - Stacie J - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:20
Thanks Boobook! We are renting a 4WD camper so most of what we will do is camping until the other half wants a hotel room. :o)

We are starting in Adelaide and going down to Kangaroo Island for 2 days. Then back up to Adelaide for one night to get supplies. From there I started out with the Flinders Ranges trek. There are several treks that are offshoots on the Flinders Ranges. We are going all the way north to Arkaroola so maybe we should just head west from Arkaroola and over to Uluru, then to Coober Pedy and the Painted Desert. Argh! So much planning. But I've got three months to get all the treks down and I'm pretty sure we can cover a lot of ground in 20 days just staying in SA.

Boyfriend is an avid birder and I am an avid photographer so we work well together.

Any recommendations from you would be wonderful. This is my first trip to Australia and it's been a lifelong dream of mine to travel the Outback in this fashion.
FollowupID: 751014

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:54
Hi Stacie

It sounds like a great trip, but you are underestimating Kangaroo Island. To be very honest you will see nothing in that time. Give it some more thought and try and make it a lot longer.

If you want to see what the Island has to offer, have a read of the couple of Blogs that I have written on KI.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 751020

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:28
Hi Stacie,

Another drive that you would find interesting is the Mulgaria Run that goes west from Farina (just north of Leigh Creek). It comes out at Andamooka, and from there its an easy run across to Roxby down then up to the OOdnadatta Track. Our blog about it can be found in this link click here If you look around our blogs for last year you will also find those for the Flinders Ranges.

Have a great trip.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476001

Follow Up By: Member - Stacie J - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:20

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:20
That was a great blog - and yes, a perfect solution to my dilemma! Thank you so much!

Cheers,

Stacie
FollowupID: 751024

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:56

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 19:56
Hi

I would phone Rod Savage at Mulgaria.

I spoke with him a while ago and there is no access through this route

Ph Number 08 86727007

Good Luck

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 751029

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 00:16

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 00:16
Stacie, there is only one direct road from Leigh Creek to Oodnadatta and it is the Oodnadatta track. It goes through Marree, William Creek and Oodnadatta. It is just over 500 kms so will be near 8-10 hours actual driving time because the track is a gravel road and conditions will vary with the weather. Drive too fast and it will eat normal road tyres right up leaving you stuck in the middle of nowhere so take it easy.
When in the Flinders, go for a hike to the lookouts in Wilpena Pound, try the easier all wheel drive section of Arkapena Scenic drive, go through the gorges like Brachina, do the ridge top tour at Arkaroola. Be careful in the Flinders as well because flat or shredded tyres are very common on the gravel roads there. Cheers.
AnswerID: 476030

Follow Up By: Member - Stacie J - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 19:01

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 19:01
Thank you mikehzz - have looked into the Oodnadatta Track. I've got a little over 2 months to plan these treks out so I've still got a little bit of time.

Thanks to all who helped!

StacieJ
FollowupID: 751093

Sponsored Links