jump pack as a second battery?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 21:14
ThreadID: 91460 Views:1784 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
i have a 5in1 battery pack witch has a inverter i was thinking if i wired the jump leads from the pack to the van battery it would charge a lot quicker then the charger that comes with it. it has a switch on the pack that makes the jump leads work so when i stop i could turn it off so it would nt use the vans battery but could if i wanted it to. is this a good idea or am i missing somethink?

Cheers
Adam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 19:28

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 19:28
Hi Adam,

I have charged a booster pack, which I think is the same thing minus the inverter from what you say. I charged it with a CTEK via the battery booster cable and it worked fine. The booster pack had not been charged for a long time and was showing very low volts but to my surprise it charged up fine that way.

If you connect it as you say it should work fine and as you say the main switch will work as suggested to isolate the 2 batteries also.

Yes it is a good idea and you have missed nothing with your thinking as far as I can tell.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476078

Follow Up By: adam c3 - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 19:49

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 19:49
cheers
will have to give a go at the weekend. i have charged a dead pack to on a car its a good way to get them back to life. i was thinking tho would it over charge it say like on a 10 hour drive? I would like to leave it connected all the time and not worry.

Thanks
Adam
FollowupID: 751096

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 20:03

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 20:03
Adam, I asked this same or similar question here a couple of years ago and the advice that I got was that the alternator will just see it as another battery on the system and charge it accordingly. Connected to another battery will tend to balance out any overcharging somewhat anyway and it should not be a problem provided the alternator is in good working condition.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751098

Follow Up By: adam c3 - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 20:05

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 20:05
thanks bruce for your help you are a star
FollowupID: 751099

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:48

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:48
Adam, I have a Battery Booster minus inverter, & besides its starting capabilities I use
it mainly to power my 12v pump shower set up. I find its portability just the shot in
the bush..often negating the need to erect a screening tent. I used it to power
flouro lights with the C/t as well. As far as charging goes I leave it connected to
a rear 12 v socket while travelling & have never had it go flat. ....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 476097

Sponsored Links